Impeachment?

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice

Should Congress vote to impeach President Trump as a result of his actions on January 6th?

Poll ended at Jan 19th, '21, 17:38

Yes
76%
No
24%

Total votes: 45

Bubba
Site Admin

Re: Impeachment?

Post by Bubba »

easyrider16 wrote: Mar 3rd, '21, 15:57 Quick google seems to suggest that blaming union contracts with COLAs for the runaway inflation of the 1970's is debatable.
The great inflation was blamed on oil prices, currency speculators, greedy businessmen, and avaricious union leaders. However, it is clear that monetary policies, which financed massive budget deficits and were supported by political leaders, were the cause.
https://www.investopedia.com/articles/e ... lation.asp

See also:
https://www.federalreservehistory.org/e ... -inflation
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/18/upsh ... 1970s.html

But I do concede that a direct tie to inflation might not be such a great idea if we get runaway inflation like we had in the 1970's. Nonetheless, an annual increase is warranted because otherwise, minimum wage gets entirely eroded by inflation over time. That's the situation we find ourselves in today. A $7.25 minimum wage is a joke. Even ANGUS has trouble hiring unskilled yokels in the back woods of New Hampshire for $15. My suggestion would be start at $15, and add 1-2% annually.
So if you can't hire people at minimum wage and are forced by the laws of supply and demand to raise your pay scale, what is the point of raising the minimum wage anyway? Wages will already be higher than the minimum.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

Because not everyone is in the priviledged position of the yokels ANGUS is trying to hire. Many have no choice but to work for minimum wage. They have almost no bargaining power. Why would anyone with any level of bargaining power work for 7.25 an hour? Yet many do. It's a free market failure in many areas of the country.

Just not backwoods NH, apparently. Probably because you have to pay a competitive wage to get the yokels out of the forests where they subsist off the land, or something.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

easyrider16 wrote: Mar 3rd, '21, 19:25 Because not everyone is in the priviledged position of the yokels ANGUS is trying to hire. Many have no choice but to work for minimum wage. They have almost no bargaining power. Why would anyone with any level of bargaining power work for 7.25 an hour? Yet many do. It's a free market failure in many areas of the country.

Just not backwoods NH, apparently. Probably because you have to pay a competitive wage to get the yokels out of the forests where they subsist off the land, or something.

Seems to me it’s the free market in all its glory. You just don’t like the result.

By the way, I happen to support a minimum wage increase, but I don’t support a minimum wage that ignores geographic economics. Mississippi, rural New England and Manhattan are not equal in terms of costs of living and should not have the same minimum wage.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Of course I don't like the end result. That's the point - the free market doesn't always lead to a good end result. There are market failures. That's when government needs to step in. It's why way have labor laws, anti-discrimination laws, environmental regulation, etc. It's also why we need a minimum wage.

I'd also concede that it would be good to tailor wage laws to geographic areas. I'm sure you know that states are free to, and some do, enact higher minimum wages than the federal minimum, so that's sort of already happening. But the current floor of 7.25 is far too low for anywhere in this country.

easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Back to the original topic, this flew under the radar yesterday:
"At 1:49 p.m., I [DC National Guard Commander] received a frantic call from then-chief of U.S. Capitol Police, Steven Sund, where he informed me that the security perimeter at the Capitol had been breached by hostile rioters," Walker testified.

"Chief Sund, his voice cracking with emotion, indicated that there was a dire emergency on Capitol Hill and requested the immediate assistance of as many guardsmen as I could muster."

Walker said he "immediately" alerted Army senior leadership of the request. He was not informed of the required approval from then-acting Defense Secretary Christopher Miller until 5:08 p.m., he said — "3 hours and 19 minutes later."
So SECDEF took 3 hours and 19 minutes to respond to a distress call at the U.S. Capitol building. That's either criminal negligence or acting on orders from the top. Also, this is suspicious as hell:
The Army major general testified that the day before the insurrection, he received a letter with an "unusual" restriction on deploying any quick-reaction force service members unless granted explicit approval by then-Secretary of the Army Ryan McCarthy.

"I found that requirement to be unusual, as was the requirement to seek approval to move guardsmen supporting the Metropolitan Police Department to move from one traffic control point to another," Walker said.
https://www.npr.org/2021/03/03/97329252 ... ommander-s

Restrictions were placed on him the day before the riot? That timing seems way too coincidental. Something smells, here.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Miley’s view on timing below. I’ve never served but I hope Milley is wrong when he says DC National Guard reacted faster than say an elite group like the SEALS.
“If the forces . . . were ready to go as part of the preparatory stuff, then I’d say, okay, that’s a fair assessment. But this is the D.C. National Guard that went from a cold start, and they had troops there in two and a half, three hours,” Milley told reporters traveling with him on Monday during a visit to Colorado. “They reacted faster than our most elite forces from a cold start.”
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

The assumption by Miley is that it was a "cold start" but the national guard commander testified before Congress that he had already made preparations for deployment of a quick reaction force that was ready to go and sitting around for hours before he got approval. It clearly was not a cold start.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

easyrider16 wrote: Mar 4th, '21, 09:02 The assumption by Miley is that it was a "cold start" but the national guard commander testified before Congress that he had already made preparations for deployment of a quick reaction force that was ready to go and sitting around for hours before he got approval. It clearly was not a cold start.
Saw that, too. I suspect there was something deliberate happening that slowed the response. I'd say there should be a commission like 9/11, but like 9/11 (and Benghazi) no real consequences came out of it.
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

easyrider16 wrote: Mar 4th, '21, 07:07 Back to the original topic, this flew under the radar yesterday:
"At 1:49 p.m., I [DC National Guard Commander] received a frantic call from then-chief of U.S. Capitol Police, Steven Sund, where he informed me that the security perimeter at the Capitol had been breached by hostile rioters," Walker testified.

"Chief Sund, his voice cracking with emotion, indicated that there was a dire emergency on Capitol Hill and requested the immediate assistance of as many guardsmen as I could muster."

Walker said he "immediately" alerted Army senior leadership of the request. He was not informed of the required approval from then-acting Defense Secretary Christopher Miller until 5:08 p.m., he said — "3 hours and 19 minutes later."
So SECDEF took 3 hours and 19 minutes to respond to a distress call at the U.S. Capitol building. That's either criminal negligence or acting on orders from the top. Also, this is suspicious as hell:
The Army major general testified that the day before the insurrection, he received a letter with an "unusual" restriction on deploying any quick-reaction force service members unless granted explicit approval by then-Secretary of the Army Ryan McCarthy.

"I found that requirement to be unusual, as was the requirement to seek approval to move guardsmen supporting the Metropolitan Police Department to move from one traffic control point to another," Walker said.
https://www.npr.org/2021/03/03/97329252 ... ommander-s

Restrictions were placed on him the day before the riot? That timing seems way too coincidental. Something smells, here.
i remember reading about how they requested the national guard and it took hours before pence finally gave the order, usurping chain of command. i dont think anything about this is coincidental. that, combined with there being "tours" of the capitol the day before... during covid... im not buying it. absolutely an inside job.

https://www.factcheck.org/2021/01/timel ... o-capitol/

https://www.rollcall.com/2021/01/13/34- ... of-attack/
Clyburn’s second-floor office, with his name above the door, remained untouched during the destruction and violence last week. But a more private office, which is unmarked on the third floor, was targeted.

“There are many members of the United States Congress right now who could not tell you where that office is and could not find that office if they needed to,” the South Carolina Democrat told MSNBC.

“Yeah, but they found it. Nobody touched the door where my name is,” he said.

He said a thorough investigation is needed, and he questioned how the insurrectionists knew how to find an unmarked office of one of the top members of the House.