H.R.127

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: H.R.127

Post by easyrider16 »

Ok, so you concede the point about fully automatic weapons then?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

deadheadskier wrote: Feb 17th, '21, 09:43 Personally, I'd be supportive of raising the minimum age for military service to age 21. Most 18 year olds lack the executive function development to make such a big decision at 18.
I can agree with that. These days 18 year olds are definitely still children.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

I don't know about the generational aspect of executive functioning. There's a lot of biological aspects to brain chemistry that impact executive functioning that simply wasn't well understood in past generations.

Generations ago kids did have to grow up faster, but doesn't mean they were better equipped to do it and made better decisions.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

In a perfect world, kids wouldn't have to be soldiers. But as a practical matter, I think it might be pretty hard to staff the infantry without getting 17-18 year-olds to sign up. If you wait until they are 21, I imagine many will either be enmeshed in college or career, and much less likely to sign up. Your point about their lack of executive function development is well taken. It's another reason why an 18 year old is more likely to enlist than a 21 year old. I'd also point out, though, that serving in the military can be a pretty good career option for an 18 year old with poor executive function. It provides structure and an environment where he or she can learn valuable skills. Yes, there are risks, but there are risks in many careers, like police officer, fireman, ironworker, etc.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

easyrider16 wrote: Feb 17th, '21, 16:48 In a perfect world, kids wouldn't have to be soldiers. But as a practical matter, I think it might be pretty hard to staff the infantry without getting 17-18 year-olds to sign up. If you wait until they are 21, I imagine many will either be enmeshed in college or career, and much less likely to sign up. Your point about their lack of executive function development is well taken. It's another reason why an 18 year old is more likely to enlist than a 21 year old. I'd also point out, though, that serving in the military can be a pretty good career option for an 18 year old with poor executive function. It provides structure and an environment where he or she can learn valuable skills. Yes, there are risks, but there are risks in many careers, like police officer, fireman, ironworker, etc.
So from a practical standpoint we need to enlist pawns before they're wise enough to know better?

Military enlistment throughout our history has been targeted towards mainly the poor who lack other opportunities.

Let's get away from that and enlist those who are more knowledgeable about the risks they are signing up for and then pay them better
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

That would be nice. Not sure it's realistic.

What would be even better is if our dumb politicians stopped starting wars for stupid reasons, but this is the world we live in.

Guy in Shorts

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Trump was the Peaceful President not starting any wars for 4 years. Hoping that Biden can continue this trend to keep our troops safely at home.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

The above post has nothing to do with the topic subject .. which in and of itself is little ado about nothing.
VT Supreme Court today prevailed against high capacity magazines. You hunters must be disappointed.
.. suggest .. rewatch Deer Hunter " One shot ".

Drumph, the 'wartime precedent' turtled when it came to warring against the pandemic. :dislike
Had he focused on Covid, there was a chance he would have won re-election.
His primary attempt at WAR concluded on Jan 6th.
That, among other foul things will be his legacy.

:zzz
Forever .. Goat Path
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Guy in Shorts wrote:Trump was the Peaceful President
Maybe up until he incited that riot...