Can the Republican Party Be Saved?

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Re: Can the Republican Party Be Saved?

Post by daytripper »

Doing anything in the name of God (especially violence) just seems stupid to me. I don't understand otherwise intelligent people believing in something that doesn't exist. Evolution people, it's real.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Skid Mark wrote: May 8th, '24, 07:50
Bubba wrote: May 7th, '24, 20:19
Skid Mark wrote: May 7th, '24, 18:29 Yes, the Romans literally killed Jesus but they were merely following the wishes of the Pharisees and the mob. The Jews were responsible. However, that was 2000 years ago. Today, there is no grudge against Jews by most Christians, just as we don't begrudge Germany and Japan for what they did in WW2.
Yes, let's review the past 125 or so years of everything from pervasive discrimination to attempted extermination, not to mention current Congressional representatives who comment on Jewish space lasers and more. Yep...no grudge at all. The fact that you call it a "grudge" immediately suggests your belief that Jews killed Christ and defines your antisemitic bias.
I said "today" and "most Christians". A real Christian lives by "forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us".

Fascist and Marxists, like the antifa scum many people on this forum support, use envy and division to promote their vision for society. Hence antisemitism lives on, as we are now witnessing at universities like Columbia and Yale.

Where is your outrage on this?
As a Vietnam era protester, I have some experience with demonstrations and how some behave. I'm all for peaceful demonstrations, marches on Washington or wherever, etc. but I draw the line at taking over buildings, damaging property and the like. I also draw the line at siding with Hamas and others who want Israel to disappear (chants of "from the river to the sea!" for example) and intimidation of those with whom you disagree. I think my generation learned some lessons that this current generation of students needs to learn. I went to a march on DC where more than a few carried North Vietnamese flags. That was wrong, no question. And, of course, there were always the stories of soldiers coming home to being called "baby killer" or worse. What we're seeing now isn't quite as bad but is just as ignorant.

As for "today" and "a real Christian", "today" covers a lot of ground. Antisemitic discrimination lived well into the 1950s and even the 1960s with restricted private clubs and the like. Some of those practices, although rare, still exist below the radar in some places. As for "real Christians", real Christians would have disavowed Trump years ago. Instead he thrives on their support.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by deadheadskier »

Currently, most "Christians" do and ignore whatever sin they want. As long as they repent on Sundays, what they do the rest of the week no longer matters.

I don't see how any true Christian could support DJT
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

deadheadskier wrote: May 8th, '24, 09:51I don't see how any true Christian could support DJT
How come? Totally normal.

Admin edit (spanky): This image violates the "shocking content" adsense policy. I removed the img tags so it is not being directly served up on our page.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GND3NEoWkAA ... name=small
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Gov. Abbott pardons Daniel Perry for 2020 fatal Black Lives Matter protest shooting after recommendation from pardons board

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2024/05/16/us/d ... mmendation
Prosecutors said Perry, who was stationed at Fort Hood, initiated the fatal encounter when he ran a red light and drove his vehicle into a crowd gathered at the protest. Foster was openly carrying an assault-style rifle – legal in Texas – and approached Perry’s car and motioned for him to lower his window, at which point Perry fatally shot him with a handgun, prosecutors said.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

For me this situation is an argument for gun control. If nobody was allowed to carry guns in that crowd this situation never would have happened. I mean how dumb is it that during a protest where violence is a strong possibility a protestor is allowed to openly carry an assault rifle.

As to the merits of the case, I think we should give deference to the jury's verdict. Members of that community heard the evidence and rendered the verdict, and I have yet to hear a compelling reason why their decision should be overturned.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

I don't know how I feel about this case. I feel that given the laws in Texas, the prosecution should have focused on some sort of reckless endangerment and assault charge for Perry driving into the crowd of protestors, especially if it caused injuries. I'm not sure on that latter detail. His text messages certainly suggest Perry was motivated to harm people while going to the protest.

On the other hand, while open carry is legal, if someone came up to my car with an assault rifle and likely a menacing look, I could see being fearful of being shot and preemptively shooting that individual.

Guns suck. I'll never own one. They cause more harm than good in society.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

I don't hate guns. They are fun to shoot and can be useful tools. But I do think it's asinine to just trust any fool in society to be able to purchase and carry one where ever they go. We impose more restrictions on cars then we do on guns. For almost two hundred years in this Country, states and local governments had the power to impose reasonable restrictions on guns. Then in 2008 a right-wing cabal of judges re-wrote the Constitution making it much more difficult.

It's interesting to me that these right-wing judges seem to disregard precedent whenever they feel like it conflicts with their personal views. Heller overturned a hundred years of jurisprudence for no other reason than right-wingers like guns.