Can the Republican Party Be Saved?

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: Can the Republican Party Be Saved?

Post by easyrider16 »

You know what I think that's partly about? The RNC refusing to help pay for Trump's legal fees. BTW, how gross is it that he put another family member in a leadership position there?

Interesting too that the RNC has had a hard time raising money lately - I read the DNC has raised three times what the RNC has. I would guess that the big fish donors don't really care for the direction the GOP seems to be heading and/or don't like the GOP's chances this November.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Feb 14th, '24, 05:53
daytripper wrote: Feb 13th, '24, 11:33 And it's puking snow right now so voter turnout will be pretty low.
Seat was flipped. Majority is now 219 to 213.
With the retirements, latest being Ken Buck, majority now is just 215 to 213.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

It’s dead.

6 Never Trumpers Examine What Went Wrong

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/03/1 ... s-00146726
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

Bubba wrote:It’s dead.

Registered R. #NeverTrump since 2016.

Drumph is a clear and present danger to our country and our democracy.

Of course, most of our votes don’t matter. That’s the real tragedy here! Relatively very few people in select states/counties are going to decide our fate!

Solutions?

- National Popular Vote Interstate Compact
- Split electoral votes (like ME and NE)
- Ranked choice voting in primaries (and general!)
- Hold all 50 state primaries on the same day. As a #NeverTrump’er I can’t even impact Drumph’s primary chances in my state!
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
Low Rider
Black Carver

Post by Low Rider »

spanky wrote: Mar 13th, '24, 19:43

Of course, most of our votes don’t matter. That’s the real tragedy here! Relatively very few people in select states/counties are going to decide our fate!

Solutions?

- Hold all 50 state primaries on the same day. As a #NeverTrump’er I can’t even impact Drumph’s primary chances in my state!
Always registered unenrolled (no need to pick a party in MA since an unenrolled can always pull either primary ballot). But always leaned right. Republican party left me long ago. Will never vote R in a national election so long as Trumpism is ruling the party.

Very disappointed in Sununu. I figured he would be one I could support when his turn came. No longer.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

The Republican National Committee sues Michigan over the state's voter rolls
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna143250
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

Low Rider wrote:

Solutions?

Always registered unenrolled (no need to pick a party in MA since an unenrolled can always pull either primary ballot). But always leaned right. Republican party left me long ago. Will never vote R in a national election so long as Trumpism is ruling the party.

Very disappointed in Sununu. I figured he would be one I could support when his turn came. No longer.
Can’t do that in Jersey. You need to be registered for the party to vote in their primary.

Living in a deep blue district, staying registered R keeps all the D’s from trying to campaign/solicit me!

The only true #NeverTrump vote is a vote for Biden. Any 3rd/Green/No Labels vote could lead to a Drumph victory (if our votes mattered… looking at you, XJ!).
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:The Republican National Committee sues Michigan over the state's voter rolls
What’s an “active registered voter”?

Low Rider
Black Carver

Post by Low Rider »

spanky wrote: Mar 13th, '24, 20:56
Low Rider wrote:

Solutions?

Can’t do that in Jersey. You need to be registered for the party to vote in their primary.

Living in a deep blue district, staying registered R keeps all the D’s from trying to campaign/solicit me!

The only true #NeverTrump vote is a vote for Biden. Any 3rd/Green/No Labels vote could lead to a Drumph victory (if our votes mattered… looking at you, XJ!).
Ahh - makes sense. Add "let unenrolled vote in either primary" to your list of reforms.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

spanky wrote: Mar 13th, '24, 21:01
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:The Republican National Committee sues Michigan over the state's voter rolls
What’s an “active registered voter”?
The complaint cites to the 2022 American Community Survey done by the U.S. Census Bureau, which defines active voters as voters "who have no additional processing requirements to fulfill before voting"

https://www.eac.gov/sites/default/files ... t_508c.pdf

If they can prove it, it's a good lawsuit. Maintaining the voting lists is an important thing to do, and if they're not doing it properly in Michigan, something should be done about it. I'm a bit skeptical of the lawsuit in general, partly because the GOP has such a bad track record lately, and partly because the data it cites seems a bit dubious. It also provides an example of the United States suing Indiana over voting rolls maintenance issues - but that was done by the Obama administration in 2006, and the secretary of state being sued at the time was a Republican. Seems to me that both parties play this game.

Nonetheless - I'm glad this lawsuit is happening. Let each party hold the other accountable, and find anything nefarious that might be going on so it can be corrected before the election. That's how it's supposed to work, legally and orderly, like this - not by storming the capital or subverting the electoral college.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

spanky wrote: Mar 13th, '24, 20:56The only true #NeverTrump vote is a vote for Biden. Any 3rd/Green/No Labels vote could lead to a Drumph victory (if our votes mattered… looking at you, XJ!).
Voted for Biden in 2020 and will do so again in 2024. Difference is in 2020 I was one of the ~80k voters, normally voting R, helping PA go to Biden. I'm in NY now so my impact will be essentially zero.
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
spanky wrote: Mar 13th, '24, 20:56The only true #NeverTrump vote is a vote for Biden. Any 3rd/Green/No Labels vote could lead to a Drumph victory (if our votes mattered… looking at you, XJ!).
Voted for Biden in 2020 and will do so again in 2024. Difference is in 2020 I was one of the ~80k voters, normally voting R, helping PA go to Biden. I'm in NY now so my impact will be essentially zero.
Argh! I thought you were still in PA.

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Alright. What’s up with Kristi Noem (Gov of S. Dakota)?

First she’s hawking dental care for a density outside her state
https://x.com/kristinoem/status/1767392 ... 59202?s=46

Now she’s hawking custom insoles
https://x.com/kristinoem/status/1768399 ... 92869?s=46
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Parnas testifies and names sitting members of congress for their role helping Russia disinformation campaign. Nothing to see here.

https://x.com/atrupar/status/1770471146330214781?s=20
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Pretty hilarious the Dems are using the GOPs guy against them.