Can the Republican Party Be Saved?

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Re: Can the Republican Party Be Saved?

Post by ANGUS »

I'd like to see a day. A day when a child can write to their president. An old school letter. On paper and mailed. I miss Reagan. For a day will come. When we have larger problems than party divide. That day is now.
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

Reagan? Do you know what Reagan would think of Trump? Reagan was pro-immigration, supported gun control, was a proponent of free trade, and called Russia an evil empire. His positions were so diametrically opposed to what Trump was pushing that he might has well have been from a different party. I'd support a true Reagan conservative. You Trump people call them liberals and RINOs now.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

What’s with The Fox Network’s fictional Biden vs Putin debate, where they seemingly root for Putin. Watching GOP members come on the show and seemingly root for Putin to prevail over Biden is really disturbing.

I was pretty young at the time so maybe someone else can chime in, but did any news networks root for Gorbachev when he told Reagan he’d build the wall around the rest of West Germany?
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Hmm. Not sure I'd characterize it as "rooting for Putin" but rather criticizing Biden as so weak that he would lose to Putin. That said, Putin challenging Biden to a debate is a propaganda joke. No one with any level of experience in world affairs would take that jibe seriously. It's barely even worth a mention at the end of a news report. Yet here you have the right wing media pushing this narrative about Biden debating Putin that is basically Russian propaganda. People who watch this garbage say the mainstream media is biased and untrustworthy? Give me a break.

Here's my sources on this:
https://theweek.com/speedreads/973197/b ... bate-putin
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/03 ... nnity.html
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

This has been out there for a while ... what's your point?
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

www.mediabiasfactcheck.com

The Federalist is an English-language online magazine that covers politics, policy, culture, and religion. The Federalist has been described as influential in conservative and libertarian circles. The site was co-founded by Ben Domenech and Sean Davis and launched in September 2013. The current editors are David Harsanyi and Mollie Hemingway

On March 26th, 2020 Twitter locked the site’s account for violating its rules against spreading misinformation about the coronavirus

The Federalist is a news and opinion website that reports with a right-wing bias that typically favors the right and denigrates the left. There is the frequent use of loaded emotional language such as this: The New York Times’ Hit Piece On Mike Pence Is Anti-Christian Bigotry, Plain And Simple. In general, The Federalist sources all of their information to credible mainstream outlets, however, they sometimes use sources that we have rated mixed for factual reporting such as the Daily Caller.

Overall, we rate The Federalist Questionable and far-Right Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that always favor the right as well as the promotion of propaganda, conspiracy theories, and numerous failed fact checks.
ImageImageImageImage
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

The point is the Dems have always cavorted with the enemy if it helps undermine a R admin.

Thanks for the research on The Federalist. Now do CNN, MSNBC, The New York Times, The Washington Post, NPR...

https://nypost.com/2021/03/19/federal-j ... wing-bias/

- Simon and Garfunkel
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

throbster wrote: Mar 22nd, '21, 09:51 The point is the Dems have always cavorted with the enemy if it helps undermine a R admin.

Thanks for the research on The Federalist. Now do CNN, MSNBC, The New York Times, The Washington Post, NPR...

All lefts as expected. But no QUESTIONABLE SOURCE ratings as with The Federalist. I can weed through the spin whether it be the Globe (left) or the Post (right), but I have a hard time accepting materials as fact that come from sources rated questionable or conspiracy theorist. A left or right rating doesn't get discredited in my book. Honestly, you need to read them both to understand all sides of the story... I will add, that the majority of media outlets in the US favor the left, so weeding is almost always required.

CNN
Overall, we rate CNN left biased based on editorial positions that consistently favor the left, while straight news reporting falls left-center through bias by omission. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to several failed fact checks by TV hosts. However, news reporting on the website tends to be properly sourced with minimal failed fact checks.

MSNBC
Overall, we rate MSNBC Left Biased based on story selection that consistently favors the establishment left. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to news hosts and the website producing 3 pants on fire claims.

NYT
Overall, we rate the New York Times Left-Center biased based on word and story selection that moderately favors the left, but highly factual and considered one of the most reliable sources for news information due to proper sourcing and well-respected journalists/editors. The failed fact checks that occurred were on Op-Ed’s and not straight news reporting.

WP
Overall, we rate The Washington Post Left-Center biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting, rather than High due to two failed fact checks, one of which was not corrected for over 2 months.

NPR
Overall, we rate NPR (National Public Radio) Left-Center Biased based on story selection that leans slightly left and Very High for factual reporting due to thorough sourcing and very accurate news reporting.
Last edited by Stormchaser on Mar 22nd, '21, 10:35, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

throbster wrote: Mar 22nd, '21, 09:51 The point is the Dems have always cavorted with the enemy if it helps undermine a R admin.

If you're against Dems cavorting with the enemy, seems to reason you'd be against any party / people doing the same? Were you against Trump's cavorting with the Ukrainians? Were you against GOP's tactic with Iran during the Obama years?
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Always?

I think the problem is you're buying into the propaganda. Have the Dems at times done things like this? Yes. You also just had a Republican President do the same. In fact, he was worse, making false claims of election fraud that were supported by Russian propaganda.

Wake up, dude. Both sides misbehave. Both sides also do great things. To automatically distrust one side and trust the other is naive and foolish. Judge people for what they are, not the party the belong to.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

The Ukrainians aren't our enemy.

John "I served in Vietnam" Kerry, who spearheaded a deal with Iran that was so bad they knew that couldn't get Congress to ratify it as a treaty, actively underminded the Trump admin's attempts to oust the Iranian regime.

- Simon and Garfunkel
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

easyrider16 wrote: Mar 22nd, '21, 11:18
Always?

I think the problem is you're buying into the propaganda. Have the Dems at times done things like this? Yes. You also just had a Republican President do the same. In fact, he was worse, making false claims of election fraud that were supported by Russian propaganda.

Wake up, dude. Both sides misbehave. Both sides also do great things. To automatically distrust one side and trust the other is naive and foolish. Judge people for what they are, not the party the belong to.
Gotta agree here, it don't matter right or left, almost all politicians are crooked.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Trump on FOX last night on the insurrection:
It was zero threat, right from the start... Some of them went in, and they are hugging and kissing the police and the guards... a lot of the people were waved in, and then they walked in and they walked out
https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/stat ... 71329?s=20

Lindsey Graham was right in 2016
If we nominate Trump, we will get destroyed.......and we will deserve it.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

I don't know how anyone can support a guy who lies this brazenly. I mean, there's video, and everyone saw it. If you still support this guy, it's out of conscious stupidity.