The Biden Border Crisis

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
throbster
Postaholic

The Biden Border Crisis

Post by throbster »

If you get your news from the Today Show or Good Morning America, you probably are not aware of the self-inflicted screw up by the Biden Admin.

A total cluster f***.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Re: The Biden Border Crisis

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

throbster wrote: Mar 10th, '21, 09:07 If you get your news from the Today Show or Good Morning America, you probably are not aware of the self-inflicted screw up by the Biden Admin.

A total cluster f***.
I don’t know how anyone that reads the news wouldn’t know about the crisis at the border. Each spring there’s an influx of illegal immigrants ... this year is worse because Biden’s policies are viewed as “more friendly” to illegals.

That said, it’s going to take time to get the situation sorted out. So I’ll give Biden a few more months, but it’s undeniable it’s a mess. It’s always been a mess.

Until opportunity in LATAM countries flourish and we secure the border, we’ll always have this issue.
Last edited by XtremeJibber2001 on Mar 10th, '21, 09:54, edited 2 times in total.
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

New York Times had a story on this two days ago.
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/08/us/p ... biden.html

I'm not sure you can really blame either president for these waves of migrants coming up. You have to judge them based on how they deal with it. Trump's record isn't great with his policies resulting in children being separated from families and other cruelties. Biden's record is yet to be written, but he faces a real challenge with all these unaccompanied minors crossing the border.

As I've said before, and echoing XJ, we need to address the root cause, here, and that relates to the conditions these people are fleeing. You're not going to be able to stop them from trying to cross. As we saw, despite Trump's draconian policies, they still came.

Just look at this data. In 2019, border apprehensions nearly doubled because more people kept coming despite 3 years of Trump's policies. Many of those (76k) included unaccompanied minors, so it's not like that aspect is new with Biden's administration.
https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2 ... der-trump/
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Trump improved the situation dramatically and then Ol' Sleepy came along and basically reversed all of the improvements. Now, illegal crossings are up 4x and immigrant children are being exploited.

Stupidest move ever.

- Simon and Garfunkel
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

How did Trump improve it?
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

throbster wrote: Mar 10th, '21, 09:54 Trump improved the situation dramatically and then Ol' Sleepy came along and basically reversed all of the improvements. Now, illegal crossings are up 4x and immigrant children are being exploited.

Stupidest move ever.
What improvements did Trump implement that Biden has undone?

Where did you see illegal crossing are up 4x?
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Here's some actual data to put things in perspective:
In January 2021, CPB officers encountered close to 7,500 families attempting to cross into the U.S., compared to just over 4,700 in October 2020. The number of children and single adults arrested for crossing has also increased.
The level of border apprehensions is not unprecedented. Border Patrol reported apprehending more than 47,000 migrants along the U.S.-Mexico border for the month of January 2019. More than 44,000 were intercepted in January 2009.
https://www.voanews.com/usa/immigration ... ico-border

So Biden's numbers for January 2021 are actually way lower than Trump's in 2019. How did Trump improve things exactly?

I suspect the number of attempted border crossings has more to do with changing conditions in originating countries than it does with U.S. border policies. I can't imagine these poor immigrants have access to resources that would allow them to keep abreast of changes in U.S. immigration policy. I think if you really want to work on this problem, you have to consider what these immigrants are thinking. They are pulling up stakes and making a very difficult journey for hundreds or thousands of miles for a chance to enter the U.S.A. That's not something people do on a whim or because of a policy change. They do it because they have no other good options.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

easyrider16 wrote: Mar 10th, '21, 10:00 Here's some actual data to put things in perspective:
In January 2021, CPB officers encountered close to 7,500 families attempting to cross into the U.S., compared to just over 4,700 in October 2020. The number of children and single adults arrested for crossing has also increased.
The level of border apprehensions is not unprecedented. Border Patrol reported apprehending more than 47,000 migrants along the U.S.-Mexico border for the month of January 2019. More than 44,000 were intercepted in January 2009.

So Biden's numbers for January 2021 are actually way lower than Trump's in 2019. How did Trump improve things exactly?

I suspect the number of attempted border crossings has more to do with changing conditions in originating countries than it does with U.S. border policies. I can't imagine these poor immigrants have access to resources that would allow them to keep abreast of changes in U.S. immigration policy.
I think there's a correlation with border security and apprehensions. Biden's numbers may be lower because of lower enforcement. The problem with illegal immigration data is we have a limited understanding of the number of immigrants that go undetected.
Last edited by XtremeJibber2001 on Mar 10th, '21, 10:23, edited 1 time in total.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

easyrider16 wrote: Mar 10th, '21, 10:00 Here's some actual data to put things in perspective:

I suspect the number of attempted border crossings has more to do with changing conditions in originating countries than it does with U.S. border policies. I can't imagine these poor immigrants have access to resources that would allow them to keep abreast of changes in U.S. immigration policy. I think if you really want to work on this problem, you have to consider what these immigrants are thinking. They are pulling up stakes and making a very difficult journey for hundreds or thousands of miles for a chance to enter the U.S.A. That's not something people do on a whim or because of a policy change. They do it because they have no other good options.
Are you serious? Are you that naive? Of course biden taking office is the reason for the increase when he took office. He basically asked them to while campaigning!
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Then how do you explain how Trump had 5X the number of border apprehensions for the same period in 2019? Or how Obama had 5X the number of border apprehension for the same period in 2009?

You can argue lower enforcement, but I'm not sure there's merit there. I have yet to see any evidence that border patrol stops arresting people based on who's in office. In fact, I believe the statistics show that Obama had generally more arrests at the border than Trump most years.

Think about it from the immigrant's perspective. Biden hasn't changed U.S. immigration law. You still can't get in without a difficult and dangerous border crossing. You think the immigrants risking everything to cross the border really consider the conditions of the detention facilities when making the decision to risk everything to attempt a crossing? I think you could build a 100 foot wall from sea to shining sea and these migrants would still try to find a way in. They're acting out of desperation, not rational decision-making.

Call me naive if you want, but I'm looking at the data. What are you looking at?
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

The immigrants were stopped in mexico under trump. Now they are allowed into the usa. That's going to get them to come.they feel they currently have a much better chance of getting into the usa so they are going to come in droves. What don't you understand about that?
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

I understand it, I just don't see the evidence of it. I cited data. You're citing... what exactly?

Look, I don't doubt that there might be a perception among some of these migrants that they'll have a better shot at getting in to the U.S. with Biden rather than Trump. But I don't think that explains these numbers. I think the numbers are driven by conditions in the originating countries moreso than U.S. policy. The pandemic sent the worldwide economy into a tailspin and while the U.S. is recovering nicely, many of the poorer countries south of the border are still facing really tough times. I suspect that, more than Biden's policies, are what's driving this surge. It also explains why in 2009 there was a surge, as the economy was experiencing an economic downturn at that time. In 2019, you had escalating violence in Guatemala, Honduras, and El Salvador that drove refugees north. Again, I think the evidence suggests these surges are driven by conditions in host countries moreso than U.S. border policies.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

easyrider16 wrote: Mar 10th, '21, 10:30 I understand it, I just don't see the evidence of it. I cited data. You're citing... what exactly?

Look, I don't doubt that there might be a perception among some of these migrants that they'll have a better shot at getting in to the U.S. with Biden rather than Trump. But I don't think that explains these numbers. I think the numbers are driven by conditions in the originating countries moreso than U.S. policy. The pandemic sent the worldwide economy into a tailspin and while the U.S. is recovering nicely, many of the poorer countries south of the border are still facing really tough times. I suspect that, more than Biden's policies, are what's driving this surge. It also explains why in 2009 there was a surge, as the economy was experiencing an economic downturn at that time. In 2019, you had escalating violence in Guatemala, Honduras, and El Salvador that drove refugees north. Again, I think the evidence suggests these surges are driven by conditions in host countries moreso than U.S. border policies.
Wow. Just wow. Turn off the CNN.

- Simon and Garfunkel
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Another response citing no facts or data to dispute the facts and data I posted. Why do you believe what you believe? Seems to me that you believe what your bias tells you to believe, not what the facts and data support.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

easyrider16 wrote: Mar 11th, '21, 08:07 Another response citing no facts or data to dispute the facts and data I posted. Why do you believe what you believe? Seems to me that you believe what your bias tells you to believe, not what the facts and data support.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Here's an example of where viewpoints like this might be coming from. I think what Crenshaw is citing is CBP encountered ~6k unaccompanied children in Feb 2021, which he's using to support his assertion of a border crisis. However, month over month comparisons of the same data point show February 2021 saw a decrease. Not sure what he's using to support his claim around 'most illegal crossing in history' nor do I know how we'd arrive at such a number since we're limited to apprehension data.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CMN3IGdgoD ... _copy_link