The Biden Border Crisis

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: The Biden Border Crisis

Post by easyrider16 »

This is a pretty balanced article from NPR:
https://www.npr.org/2021/03/22/97988608 ... ern-border

So Biden's admin is blaming Trump's admin for dismantling the system that processes and cares for unaccompanied minors. Republicans blame Biden's admin for softening Trump's policies at the border resulting in more migration attempts. But when you get past the politics, you get this:
This is not the first surge of migrant children arriving at the southern border. The same thing happened under Trump and former President Barack Obama, too. And in many ways, the current bottleneck was predictable.
So there might be some level of incompetence here with the Biden admin's handling and preparation, but surges of migrant children at the border have been happening for a long time under both Republican and Democrat administrations. I don't think it's terribly fair to blame Biden for the droves that are showing up at the border. I do think it's fair to blame his administration for not being ready to deal with it.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

easyrider16 wrote: Mar 22nd, '21, 12:21 This is a pretty balanced article from NPR:

So Biden's admin is blaming Trump's admin for dismantling the system that processes and cares for unaccompanied minors. Republicans blame Biden's admin for softening Trump's policies at the border resulting in more migration attempts. But when you get past the politics, you get this:
This is not the first surge of migrant children arriving at the southern border. The same thing happened under Trump and former President Barack Obama, too. And in many ways, the current bottleneck was predictable.
So there might be some level of incompetence here with the Biden admin's handling and preparation, but surges of migrant children at the border have been happening for a long time under both Republican and Democrat administrations. I don't think it's terribly fair to blame Biden for the droves that are showing up at the border. I do think it's fair to blame his administration for not being ready to deal with it.

Yeah, Biden announcing that unaccompanied minors will not be turned away at the border had nothing to do with it. Even MSNBC is giving him sh*t for it.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

daytripper wrote: Mar 23rd, '21, 11:23
easyrider16 wrote: Mar 22nd, '21, 12:21 This is a pretty balanced article from NPR:

Yeah, Biden announcing that unaccompanied minors will not be turned away at the border had nothing to do with it. Even MSNBC is giving him sh*t for it.
Has any recent POTUS turned away unaccompanied minors? Should we turn away unaccompanied minors?
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

daytripper wrote: Mar 23rd, '21, 11:23Yeah, Biden announcing that unaccompanied minors will not be turned away at the border had nothing to do with it. Even MSNBC is giving him sh*t for it.
So how do you explain the surge in unaccompanied minors in 2019, three years into Trump's draconian policies?

Do you think the right-wing media might be partly to blame for pushing the narrative that Biden's administration would welcome illegal immigrants?

Also, as XJ suggests, do you feel that Trump's handling of unaccompanied minors was ethical? How would you handle it?
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Mar 23rd, '21, 11:45
daytripper wrote: Mar 23rd, '21, 11:23

Has any recent POTUS turned away unaccompanied minors? Should we turn away unaccompanied minors?
No, we should send them back to the country they came from.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

daytripper wrote: Mar 23rd, '21, 12:23No, we should send them back to the country they came from.
That's not really the question. The question is how. Unaccompanied minors aren't allowed to stay in the U.S. unless they receive asylum or are otherwise granted permission to stay (i.e. a visa). If they do not get a visa, they can be deported. The only real difference in Biden's policy is that he's allowing them to stay while they apply for asylum. Trump was immediately deporting them without due process. Which, by the way, a court ruled as illegal.

There's been much talk on this thread about deterrence. As I said earlier, I don't think deporting people is much of a deterrent. You know what would be? Cracking down on all the businesses that hire illegals. If these folks didn't have the opportunity to make a living when they got here, there'd be a lot less inducement to come. Yet I don't see many republicans pushing that as a deterrent. I suspect it's because many of the businesses that are hiring these illegals are owned by Republicans. See e.g. Donald Trump (https://time.com/4465744/donald-trump-u ... d-workers/).
Bigjohnski
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by Bigjohnski »

Biden owns this Border Mess

Libs and leftist quit deflecting groping Joe is a HUGE failure!!
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Bigjohnski wrote: Mar 26th, '21, 15:22 Biden owns this Border Mess

That's what it's all about for you, huh? Democrats=bad, Trump=good. No room for nuance. The truth isn't that simple. The border was a mess under Trump. It was a mess under Obama. It's been a mess for decades and that's not likely to change much going forward, regardless of who is in office. The only reason you think Trump "solved" anything is that your media told you so. The facts don't support that conclusion.

The reality is that this is not an easily solvable problem. People will keep trying to cross the southern border so long as there is trouble in Central and South America. You could build a moat and fill it with fricken sharks with lasers on their heads and people would still try to find ways around it. In any event, the majority of illegal aliens entering this country don't even cross the southern border, which many of us pointed out years ago on this board when Trump was first talking about his vanity wall. While I do think we need border patrol and enforcement on the southern border, that alone is not going to solve our illegal immigration problem. Not by a long shot.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

easyrider16 wrote: Mar 29th, '21, 08:23

That's what it's all about for you, huh? Democrats=bad, Trump=good. No room for nuance. The truth isn't that simple. The border was a mess under Trump. It was a mess under Obama. It's been a mess for decades and that's not likely to change much going forward, regardless of who is in office. The only reason you think Trump "solved" anything is that your media told you so. The facts don't support that conclusion.

The reality is that this is not an easily solvable problem. People will keep trying to cross the southern border so long as there is trouble in Central and South America. You could build a moat and fill it with fricken sharks with lasers on their heads and people would still try to find ways around it. In any event, the majority of illegal aliens entering this country don't even cross the southern border, which many of us pointed out years ago on this board when Trump was first talking about his vanity wall. While I do think we need border patrol and enforcement on the southern border, that alone is not going to solve our illegal immigration problem. Not by a long shot.
You honestly think you're going to convince BigJohn to take a more nuanced look at anything? He has not made one salient point since joining this forum.

It's essentially been a broken record for almost every single post he's ever made whether in the political or chatter forums stating: Biden = Bad.

Quite frankly I'm not entirely sure why the mods keep him around. He's the most zero value added member this forum has ever known. Not sure if it's D- attempts at trolling or he's just plain stupid.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

deadheadskier wrote: Mar 29th, '21, 12:01
easyrider16 wrote: Mar 29th, '21, 08:23

You honestly think you're going to convince BigJohn to take a more nuanced look at anything? He has not made one salient point since joining this forum.

It's essentially been a broken record for almost every single post he's ever made whether in the political or chatter forums stating: Biden = Bad.

Quite frankly I'm not entirely sure why the mods keep him around. He's the most zero value added member this forum has ever known. Not sure if it's D- attempts at trolling or he's just plain stupid.
Typical lefty thinking. Ban people with alternative opinions. Does Dead End and Cheesy spoon at night?
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

I didn't say that at all throbster. I said Big J has never once backed up an opinion with at least a sentence of context. I may disagree with many of your opinions, but at least you attempt to back them up.

If all you ever literally said was Biden=Fail like Big J, then I'd think your only point in being here is to troll. What's the point?
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Biden = liar, asshat, career politician, pedophile
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Let's be honest. None of us are really here to convince anyone of anything. We're here because we like talking about and thinking about politics.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

throbster wrote: Mar 29th, '21, 15:39 Biden = liar, asshat, career politician, pedophile
Now do Trump :lol: