The Biden Border Crisis

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: The Biden Border Crisis

Post by Guy in Shorts »

easyrider16 wrote: Apr 8th, '21, 10:39 I wonder how much comics like that contribute to the perception among migrants that Biden's administration will be more friendly to them?
Pretty welcoming. The message that the border is back open with having to wait in Mexico was heard down South loud and clear.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

I guess they must get Fox news in Guatemala.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Bigjohnski
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by Bigjohnski »

Illegals don't watch fox news

they watch
CNN
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Maybe a different solution is needed?

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ed-ladders
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

But Trump said walls were cheap and effective. Are you saying they're not? If only someone could have foreseen this problem back in 2017...
Much of the current fencing can be easily mounted with a ladder or from the roof of a truck. In some cases, border crossers can scale the fence without any additional equipment. One viral video from 2010 shows two women easily climbing an 18-foot steel bollard-style pedestrian fence in less than 20 seconds.
https://www.cato.org/publications/comme ... -wont-work

On a more serious note, imagine if Trump and Congress had worked together to build the "high tech wall" that Pelosi proposed? You'd probably have a much more effective solution for much less money.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

easyrider16 wrote: Apr 26th, '21, 10:32 But Trump said walls were cheap and effective. Are you saying they're not? If only someone could have foreseen this problem back in 2017...
Much of the current fencing can be easily mounted with a ladder or from the roof of a truck. In some cases, border crossers can scale the fence without any additional equipment. One viral video from 2010 shows two women easily climbing an 18-foot steel bollard-style pedestrian fence in less than 20 seconds.
https://www.cato.org/publications/comme ... -wont-work

On a more serious note, imagine if Trump and Congress had worked together to build the "high tech wall" that Pelosi proposed? You'd probably have a much more effective solution for much less money.
Walls are only as good as the men and women patrolling them. Technological wall, cement wall, none of it matters without adequate staffing. If there's adequate staffing, why not save money with a technological wall? With technology we could also, potentially, detect those going underground too.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

So now the president of Guatemala is saying that the reason for the border surge was because of the change in the message that the Biden admin gave when taking over which made people feel like they would basically be welcomed to the USA. Biden while campaigning was saying come to America, now Harris is in Guatemala saying don't come to America!
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

daytripper wrote: Jun 7th, '21, 16:26 So now the president of Guatemala is saying that the reason for the border surge was because of the change in the message that the Biden admin gave when taking over which made people feel like they would basically be welcomed to the USA. Biden while campaigning was saying come to America, now Harris is in Guatemala saying don't come to America!
This is obvious to those with at least half a functioning brain.

Biden owns this and he did it day one. f*** moron!
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

throbster wrote: Jun 7th, '21, 18:20
daytripper wrote: Jun 7th, '21, 16:26 So now the president of Guatemala is saying that the reason for the border surge was because of the change in the message that the Biden admin gave when taking over which made people feel like they would basically be welcomed to the USA. Biden while campaigning was saying come to America, now Harris is in Guatemala saying don't come to America!

As the grandson and great grandson of people who fled eastern European antisemitism and poverty, I have no problem accepting refugees fleeing to this country for hope and a better future. The words on the Statue of Liberty mean something to me, as they should to you.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

As long as they come here legally I have no problem with them either.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Bubba wrote: Jun 7th, '21, 19:00
throbster wrote: Jun 7th, '21, 18:20

As the grandson and great grandson of people who fled eastern European antisemitism and poverty, I have no problem accepting refugees fleeing to this country for hope and a better future. The words on the Statue of Liberty mean something to me, as they should to you.
This.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

daytripper wrote: Jun 7th, '21, 19:03 As long as they come here legally I have no problem with them either.
See Immigration Act of 1924. As a result of the limitations on immigrants and, of course, Nazi atrocities, many of my relatives’ names can now be found at Yad Vashem. When I visited the Holocaust Museum in Washington and saw all the photographs of people from the Vilnius area who died, it struck me that some of those people could very well have been my family who were barred from coming here and reconnecting with others who came earlier. Don’t talk to me about coming here legally or otherwise.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Bubba wrote: Jun 7th, '21, 19:33
daytripper wrote: Jun 7th, '21, 19:03 As long as they come here legally I have no problem with them either.
See Immigration Act of 1924. As a result of the limitations on immigrants and, of course, Nazi atrocities, many of my relatives’ names can now be found at Yad Vashem. When I visited the Holocaust Museum in Washington and saw all the photographs of people from the Vilnius area who died, it struck me that some of those people could very well have been my family who were barred from coming here and reconnecting with others who came earlier. Don’t talk to me about coming here legally or otherwise.
I'm sorry about your family, but if you want to come here you need to do it legally. If we had open borders and anybody could just come in we would have much bigger problems. We have immigration laws for a reason.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Bubba wrote: Jun 7th, '21, 19:33
A lot has changed in 75 years. Central America isn't pretty but it ain't a holocaust either. Also, what's written on the Statue of liberty is a poem...nothing to do with our government/laws.

A country needs borders and the rule of law. Otherwise kiss it all goodbye.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

I believe you are mischaracterizing what the President of Guatemala actually said.
While the White House has said its message is clear, Biden's messages of compassion for immigrants have been misused by human smugglers, according to Giammattei.

"They used his message and turned it around to tell people, 'Now is the time. They will receive you. Let's go.' The message is confusing," Giammattei told ABC News' John Quinones in his first U.S. television interview.
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/biden-a ... d=76931611

I don't think Biden ever said immigrants will be welcome. I think he just said he wanted to end the inhumane treatment they were receiving under the Trump admin.

As for coming here legally, I agree, but keep in mind that requesting asylum is a legal means of immigration.