Florida

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Florida

Post by easyrider16 »

So Florida is suing the Feds for banning Cruises due to Covid concerns. But cruises are happening elsewhere, and apparently somewhat safely. Fine, maybe they have a point, though personally you couldn't pay me to take a cruise right now. But then I read this:
The governor signed an executive order on Friday banning so-called vaccine passports, which will also apply to the cruise industry, saying that businesses and government agencies cannot require customers or patrons to show proof of vaccination.
So one of most effective ways to make cruises safe is by requiring people to be vaccinated, but FL's governor wants to prevent them from doing that. WTF? Shoot yourself in the foot much? :bang
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Re: Florida

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

easyrider16 wrote: Apr 9th, '21, 08:11 So Florida is suing the Feds for banning Cruises due to Covid concerns. But cruises are happening elsewhere, and apparently somewhat safely. Fine, maybe they have a point, though personally you couldn't pay me to take a cruise right now. But then I read this:
The governor signed an executive order on Friday banning so-called vaccine passports, which will also apply to the cruise industry, saying that businesses and government agencies cannot require customers or patrons to show proof of vaccination.
So one of most effective ways to make cruises safe is by requiring people to be vaccinated, but FL's governor wants to prevent them from doing that. WTF? Shoot yourself in the foot much? :bang
I also wouldn't go on a cruise, but was hoping Disney would lead in this area and require proof of vaccination for admittance. This EO will probably prevent it.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Portland to Halifax overnight is the only cruise we’d consider these days.
Cooped up at sea in a Petri dish for a week with a bunch of fat complaining slobs is not our idea of a fun time.
That was true before COVID and won’t change as a result of whatever governor dumbsquat does.

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

brownman wrote: Apr 10th, '21, 08:35 Portland to Halifax overnight is the only cruise we’d consider these days.
Cooped up at sea in a Petri dish for a week with a bunch of fat complaining slobs is not our idea of a fun time.
That was true before COVID and won’t change as a result of whatever governor dumbsquat does.

Never been on one personally. Seems like a cruise would be too short to really see anything. Seeing Europe by train is where it’s at.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

Seriously, what a way to shoot yourself in the foot.
Don't Killington Pico
Nikoli
Poster Child Poster

Post by Nikoli »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Apr 10th, '21, 09:04
brownman wrote: Apr 10th, '21, 08:35 Portland to Halifax overnight is the only cruise we’d consider these days.

Never been on one personally. Seems like a cruise would be too short to really see anything. Seeing Europe by train is where it’s at.
Trains are great for long hauls, but a car if you can handle it opens up way more possibilities. Driving in some cities is not for the faint of heart though. (Rome, Amalfi Coast) If you can conquer those, you can drive anywhere in Europe.
And the sea will grant each man new hope . . .
-Christopher Columbus
Guy in Shorts

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Booked and ready to cruise again next January. Getting away for a week of warm weather mid winter is a break that we need.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

If you are vaccinated why the hell do you care if the guy next to you is or is not?
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

throbster wrote: Apr 11th, '21, 09:28 If you are vaccinated why the hell do you care if the guy next to you is or is not?
Because:

1) We don’t yet know how long the vaccine protects us against both current and/or future variants. We’re learning as we go.

2) We don’t know for certain yet whether vaccinated people can carry the virus to others and, until we have a high percentage of the population vaccinated, the more the virus spreads the more chance of new variants developing.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

throbster wrote: Apr 11th, '21, 09:28 If you are vaccinated why the hell do you care if the guy next to you is or is not?
If you wear a condom do you care if your partner is HIV positive?
Don't Killington Pico
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

boston_e wrote: Apr 11th, '21, 10:08
If you wear a condom do you care if your partner is HIV positive?
You don't understand the term immunization do you?

- Simon and Garfunkel
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

This is another pet peave I have. People don't understand the science. A vaccine is not 100% protection for any single individual. You could get the vaccine and still have a chance, albeit a much refuced chance, of catching covid.

However if a high enough percentage of the population is vaccinated, the disease has a hard time reproducing itself and becomes scarce. Thus you don't see people getting polio in the U.S. even though no one gets the vaccine anymore - we effectively eradicated it by vaccinating the entire population long ago. This is what we are trying to do with covid, though we likely won't be able to totally eradicate it. But if you get a high enough rate of herd immunity, even unvaccinated people have a lot less to worry about because the disease will become rare. Every bozo who refuses the vaccine for inane reasons is jeopardizing our chances of eradicating or greatly reducing the spread of the virus.

It's just like wearing a mask. You don't just do it to protect you, you do it to protect everyone. So yeah, you should care if the people next to you are vaccinated, unless you like playing Russian roulette.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Okay, I trust you wear three masks, because you could get the rona just wearing two.

I think people should get vaccinated but they shouldn't have to prove it.

Spare me the long winded response Weezey. I don't read them.

- Simon and Garfunkel
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

easyrider16 wrote: Apr 11th, '21, 17:49 This is another pet peave I have. People don't understand the science. A vaccine is not 100% protection for any single individual. You could get the vaccine and still have a chance, albeit a much refuced chance, of catching covid.

However if a high enough percentage of the population is vaccinated, the disease has a hard time reproducing itself and becomes scarce. Thus you don't see people getting polio in the U.S. even though no one gets the vaccine anymore - we effectively eradicated it by vaccinating the entire population long ago. This is what we are trying to do with covid, though we likely won't be able to totally eradicate it. But if you get a high enough rate of herd immunity, even unvaccinated people have a lot less to worry about because the disease will become rare. Every bozo who refuses the vaccine for inane reasons is jeopardizing our chances of eradicating or greatly reducing the spread of the virus.

It's just like wearing a mask. You don't just do it to protect you, you do it to protect everyone. So yeah, you should care if the people next to you are vaccinated, unless you like playing Russian roulette.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
What do you mean nobody gets the polio vaccine anymore? Kids get a series of shots when they’re infants along with a whole host of other shots.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/polio/index.html
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

throbster wrote: Apr 11th, '21, 18:53
I think people should get vaccinated but they shouldn't have to prove it.
If a privately owned business (restaurant, cruise ship, gym etc) would like to ask for proof of vaccination for entry into their business, they should have the freedom to do so.
Don't Killington Pico