New Rioting in MN

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: New Rioting in MN

Post by easyrider16 »

What's your definition of a terrorist? Is it just that they target civilians? Because if you look at some past wars there are a lot of governments that targeted civilians. The U.S. did it extensively in WWII, for example. (Cologne, Hamburg and Dresden, Nagasaki, Hiroshima, etc.)
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

easyrider16 wrote: Jun 14th, '21, 10:43 What's your definition of a terrorist? Is it just that they target civilians? Because if you look at some past wars there are a lot of governments that targeted civilians. The U.S. did it extensively in WWII, for example. (Cologne, Hamburg and Dresden, Nagasaki, Hiroshima, etc.)
I'd say it has to be unlawful, politically motivated and without regard of civilians.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

I believe the Allied bombings of German cities during WWII fit all those criteria. They unlawfully targeted civilians in violation of the Geneva Convention, they were politically motivated with the stated aim of breaking the will of the German population, and they not only disregarded civilians but specifically targeted them. So were the allied powers terrorists?

Just trying to point out that defining the term "terrorist" can be particularly difficult. Calling any group "terrorists" is a way to demonize and dehumanize them. Some groups deserve that, but many don't. BLM almost certainly does not.
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

Post by yiddle on da fiddle »

A: the jury has reached a decision.... your a fukin tool. Unanimous verdict. Additionally?.. they mandated you research the dates..of Geneva Convention.
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

Asshat award in 6...10 weeks US Ground Mail
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

easyrider16 wrote: Jun 14th, '21, 11:45 I believe the Allied bombings of German cities during WWII fit all those criteria. They unlawfully targeted civilians in violation of the Geneva Convention, they were politically motivated with the stated aim of breaking the will of the German population, and they not only disregarded civilians but specifically targeted them. So were the allied powers terrorists?

Just trying to point out that defining the term "terrorist" can be particularly difficult. Calling any group "terrorists" is a way to demonize and dehumanize them. Some groups deserve that, but many don't. BLM almost certainly does not.
Geneva convention laws did not exist during WW2.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

daytripper wrote: Jun 14th, '21, 11:58
easyrider16 wrote: Jun 14th, '21, 11:45 I believe the Allied bombings of German cities during WWII fit all those criteria. They unlawfully targeted civilians in violation of the Geneva Convention, they were politically motivated with the stated aim of breaking the will of the German population, and they not only disregarded civilians but specifically targeted them. So were the allied powers terrorists?

Geneva convention laws did not exist during WW2.
They sure did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneva_Conventions

Specifically, from the 1907 convention:
The bombardment by naval forces of undefended ports, towns, villages, dwellings, or buildings is forbidden.
https://avalon.law.yale.edu/20th_century/hague09.asp
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

I can't call a sovereign nations acts during wartime terrorism. Defeating the Nazis saves millions of lives.
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

Cheeztrider $.10 in 3...2......
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

not like ge's gonna shed any real light on the subject...
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

daytripper wrote: Jun 14th, '21, 12:27 I can't call a sovereign nations acts during wartime terrorism. Defeating the Nazis saves millions of lives.
I agree. Again, I'm just pointing out the semantic difficulty with the term "terrorist"
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

Stop pointing. Stop speaking.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

yiddle on da fiddle wrote: Jun 14th, '21, 12:30 Stop pointing. Stop speaking.
MadHatter, this forum is better when you don't contribute. It's not like any of your posts have any substance anyway.
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

Perhaps...and all the same?..I dont live...to hear my every utterance. You , on the other hand....
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

Now THAT...alone...has more substance...than a days worth of your bloviating sh*t.