Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: DC Statehood

Post by deadheadskier »

Bubba wrote: Apr 22nd, '21, 21:27
deadheadskier wrote: Apr 22nd, '21, 21:25
Bubba wrote: Apr 22nd, '21, 21:23
deadheadskier wrote: Apr 22nd, '21, 20:51
Bubba wrote: Apr 22nd, '21, 19:21

People living there should have a voice in national elections and a voice in Congress. On the other hand, they live there by choice and if that voice was so important to them, they could live elsewhere.
Do you feel the same about US citizens in Guam etc? If they want a louder voice in government with their votes they should move to places their voices will be heard?
I feel that way about all US Territories. If they want the rights of states they should vote for statehood. Puerto Rico has held that votes several times and decided the benefits of being a territory outweigh statehood.
How much do their votes realistically count in trying for statehood?
It’s the first step. You know, like 37 other states have done since 1789 under our Constitution.
Ok

Say DC and Puerto Rico vote overwhelmingly to become states. Republicans block that request due to the perceived political threat.

Then what?

This seems to be the Republican play book in general. Instead of focusing on policies and communicating them well such that citizens vote for them, instead they try and do everything they can to restrict voting. That is 100% what the recent voting change laws is all about. They simply sell it to their rube supporters as fraud protections.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

deadheadskier wrote: Apr 23rd, '21, 11:33Instead of focusing on policies and communicating them well such that citizens vote for them, instead they try and do everything they can to restrict voting. That is 100% what the recent voting change laws is all about. They simply sell it to their rube supporters as fraud protections.
They are smart enough to know that their base is shrinking and they can't win elections much longer without resorting to dirty tricks like voter suppression. What they need is new leadership to take them in a new direction that actually captures more votes rather than the same shrinking demographic. Realistically, that means moderate Republicans are the way forward but the party has been conditioned to reject them as RINOs.
Fancypants
Black Carver

Post by Fancypants »

easyrider16 wrote: Apr 23rd, '21, 12:02
They are smart enough to know that their base is shrinking and they can't win elections much longer without resorting to dirty tricks like voter suppression. What they need is new leadership to take them in a new direction that actually captures more votes rather than the same shrinking demographic. Realistically, that means moderate Republicans are the way forward but the party has been conditioned to reject them as RINOs.
Don't kid yourself, the base is growing and the Republican party is stronger than ever. Purging a bunch of those RINOs like Jeff Flake was a blessing.
Bigjohnski
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by Bigjohnski »

Democrats are scared of losing their base because of their ridiculous policies

There fixed it
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Fancypants wrote: Jul 17th, '21, 20:41
Don't kid yourself, the base is growing and the Republican party is stronger than ever. Purging a bunch of those RINOs like Jeff Flake was a blessing.
Source?
Fancypants
Black Carver

Post by Fancypants »

easyrider16 wrote: Jul 19th, '21, 08:49
Fancypants wrote: Jul 17th, '21, 20:41
Source?
It's my personal assessment, what's wrong with posting opinion in a discussion forum. Why do you always need a source? Do you ever think for yourself or do you simply do what they tell you to do/say?
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

I do think for myself, but I tend to review the evidence before drawing a conclusion. I appreciate that you have an opinion. That's cool. I just didn't know if you were relying on some sort of poll or study, as I've seen many of those that indicate traditional Republican demographics have been shrinking. I mean the question of whether the base is growing is one of fact that should be able to be verified with evidence. An opinion based on zero evidence isn't worth much. That's my opinion.

See here:
https://www.pewresearch.org/politics/20 ... ing-lines/
https://www.brookings.edu/research/turn ... ata-shows/
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/meet-t ... d-n1256966
https://www.axios.com/republican-voters ... c8ac8.html

I will say that for someone who often accuses others of not thinking for themselves, you seem to accept an awful lot of BS from Trump without question - like the election fraud lies. So maybe you should put that accusation away for a while because pot meet kettle.