DC Statehood

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

DC Statehood

Post by easyrider16 »

House passed a bill. Probably won't make it through the Senate. I agree with Republicans that it's a Democrat power grab to try and get 2 more democrat senators. I also agree with Democrats that it's fundamentally unfair that people who live in D.C. don't get representation in Congress. My $.02 is that the D.C. population should get to vote in the VA and/or MD national elections for Congress and Senate.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... d=msedgntp
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Re: DC Statehood

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

easyrider16 wrote: Apr 22nd, '21, 12:16 House passed a bill. Probably won't make it through the Senate. I agree with Republicans that it's a Democrat power grab to try and get 2 more democrat senators. I also agree with Democrats that it's fundamentally unfair that people who live in D.C. don't get representation in Congress. My $.02 is that the D.C. population should get to vote in the VA and/or MD national elections for Congress and Senate.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... d=msedgntp
Agree it's a power grab. Could it be added to the national ballot? Seems silly MD or VA alone would decide it's fate. Also, why would DC be by its lonesome? What about the US Virgin Island, Guam, Mariana Islands, etc.? They don't have representation either.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

DC should not be alone in this. All US citizens should have representation in Congress at the federal level. If adding states is viewed as a power grab then do something different and assign territory votes to existing states. Perhaps closest geographic state makes the most sense. Puerto Rico and USVI residents vote with Florida, DC with MD or VA, Guam with Hawaii etc, etc
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

If all the lying cheating filthy corrupt republican politicians thought DC would elect 2 republican senators They would be 100% behind DC Statehood.
Don't Killington Pico
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

boston_e wrote: Apr 22nd, '21, 18:44 If all the lying cheating filthy corrupt republican politicians thought DC would elect 2 republican senators They would be 100% behind DC Statehood.
And clearly visa versa. If DC were presumed to be Republican the Dems would be strongly against statehood.

I have mixed feelings about statehood. People living there should have a voice in national elections and a voice in Congress. On the other hand, they live there by choice and if that voice was so important to them, they could live elsewhere.

Facing facts, with little or no chance of passing through the Senate this is nothing more than pandering to their own constituency for Dems in the House.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Bubba wrote: Apr 22nd, '21, 19:21
boston_e wrote: Apr 22nd, '21, 18:44 If all the lying cheating filthy corrupt republican politicians thought DC would elect 2 republican senators They would be 100% behind DC Statehood.

People living there should have a voice in national elections and a voice in Congress. On the other hand, they live there by choice and if that voice was so important to them, they could live elsewhere.
Do you feel the same about US citizens in Guam etc? If they want a louder voice in government with their votes they should move to places their voices will be heard?
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

deadheadskier wrote: Apr 22nd, '21, 20:51

People living there should have a voice in national elections and a voice in Congress. On the other hand, they live there by choice and if that voice was so important to them, they could live elsewhere.
Do you feel the same about US citizens in Guam etc? If they want a louder voice in government with their votes they should move to places their voices will be heard?
I feel that way about all US Territories. If they want the rights of states they should vote for statehood. Puerto Rico has held that votes several times and decided the benefits of being a territory outweigh statehood.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Bubba wrote: Apr 22nd, '21, 21:23

I feel that way about all US Territories. If they want the rights of states they should vote for statehood. Puerto Rico has held that votes several times and decided the benefits of being a territory outweigh statehood.
How much do their votes realistically count in trying for statehood?
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

deadheadskier wrote: Apr 22nd, '21, 21:25
Bubba wrote: Apr 22nd, '21, 21:23

How much do their votes realistically count in trying for statehood?
It’s the first step. You know, like 37 other states have done since 1789 under our Constitution.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Bubba wrote: Apr 22nd, '21, 19:21On the other hand, they live there by choice and if that voice was so important to them, they could live elsewhere.
That's not always an option for some people, notably poor people who don't have the resources to pick up, move, and start over. It's not like people get a choice of what city they're born in or where their parents choose to settle. It reminds me of the inane saying that if you don't like how the U.S. does things you should move elsewhere. But there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to live in D.C. *and* vote in national elections. We should strive to do what's fair and just, not do something unfair and tell people to leave if they don't like it.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

If you truly feel that a non-state created for the express purpose of being a non state , expressly lacking the full power of states, needs to have federal representation in Congress and statehood, why not return DC to whence it came? Give it back to Maryland. A state that is also a national capitol of all the other states has inherent conflicts of interest that far outweigh voting for a Congressional seat. There is also zero precedent for a city-state.

And why aren't poor people able to move? That is one of the greatest opportunities here in the US, the freedom to find happiness and employment wherever you see fit, wherever best suits your needs and preferences. Someone with poor opportunity where they currently live has all the freedom in the world to move to where employment is robust and growing. Is it difficult? Sure. That doesn't make it a valid argument. Consider the illegal migration from Central America to the US. Isn't that even more difficult? Aren't vast numbers of people, people worse off than any resident of DC, able to travel and seek a better opportunity?
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Bull hockey. Republicans believe in the Constitution which specifically calls for Washington D.C.

Dems regularly change the rules if they can't get their way (court packing for instance).

Your post is hopefully the dumbest thing I read today.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Mister Moose wrote: Apr 23rd, '21, 10:17Give it back to Maryland.
I think that's probably the best solution. There's no real reason for a District of Columbia anymore. There was actually a proposal to shrink the D.C. area to a small section of the City where the national mall, etc. is located. That might be the way to go.
Mister Moose wrote: Apr 23rd, '21, 10:17And why aren't poor people able to move? That is one of the greatest opportunities here in the US, the freedom to find happiness and employment wherever you see fit, wherever best suits your needs and preferences. Someone with poor opportunity where they currently live has all the freedom in the world to move to where employment is robust and growing. Is it difficult? Sure. That doesn't make it a valid argument. Consider the illegal migration from Central America to the US. Isn't that even more difficult? Aren't vast numbers of people, people worse off than any resident of DC, able to travel and seek a better opportunity?
I think we can recognize the difficulty in leaving the place you were born and moving somewhere else, and how that is more difficult the less money you have. But perhaps instead of saying that it was not an option I should have said that it shouldn't have to be an option. If you live in the U.S., you should be afforded the opportunity to vote for your representatives. No taxation without representation and all that. Seems to me that's the American way.
Last edited by easyrider16 on Apr 23rd, '21, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

throbster wrote: Apr 23rd, '21, 10:58
Bull hockey. Republicans believe in the Constitution which specifically calls for Washington D.C.

Dems regularly change the rules if they can't get their way (court packing for instance).

Hahahaha!!! Thanks, I needed a good laugh!! Seriously though, you believe that?? Sorry, both sides are equally crooked.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

throbster wrote: Apr 23rd, '21, 10:58

Republicans believe in the constitution so long as it's not Article I, Section 4.