Vail Stock

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Vail Stock

Post by KingsFourMan »

Vail stock (MTN) is currently trading at $333/share? What’s up with that??? 20 years ago today it was trading at $22/share. That means a $20,000 investment in Vail 20 years ago would be worth over $300,000 today. I’ve never followed this stock but I remember thinking way back when that you’d have to be nuts to invest in a ski stock. I guess not. And this stock is currently a recommended buy. The evil empire is doing something right.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Re: Vail Stock

Post by hillbangin »

Not a ski stock. That's why it's gone up....

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

hillbangin wrote: Apr 23rd, '21, 12:17 Not a ski stock. That's why it's gone up....

It's not just a ski stock, but it's mostly a ski stock, the skiing is what drives everything else - the retail, restaurants, lodging, and real estate which is why they are so quick to invest in on mountain improvements like lifts and lodges.

The reason the stock has gone up is mostly because of their CEO Robert Katz, a Wharton School of Business wiz kid who took over Vail at the ripe old age of 39 in 2006 when the stock price was $33/share.

This article about him is from 2017 but it's a great read about him and what he's done since taking over:

https://www.5280.com/2016/12/rob-katz-i ... -industry/
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

I think the stock went up because millenials like the outdoors.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

KingsFourMan wrote: Apr 23rd, '21, 13:38
hillbangin wrote: Apr 23rd, '21, 12:17 Not a ski stock. That's why it's gone up....

It's not just a ski stock, but it's mostly a ski stock, the skiing is what drives everything else - the retail, restaurants, lodging, and real estate which is why they are so quick to invest in on mountain improvements like lifts and lodges.

The reason the stock has gone up is mostly because of their CEO Robert Katz, a Wharton School of Business wiz kid who took over Vail at the ripe old age of 39 in 2006 when the stock price was $33/share.

This article about him is from 2017 but it's a great read about him and what he's done since taking over:

Exactly - not a ski stock - it's a lifestyle stock with a subscription model - 900 bucks a year per person + lodging and food.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

hillbangin wrote: Apr 23rd, '21, 16:01

Exactly - not a ski stock - it's a lifestyle stock with a subscription model - 900 bucks a year per person + lodging and food.
But wait, isn't the lifestyle mostly about...ya know, skiing? Most of what they own and operate after all are...ya know, ski resorts. Everything else they own - the retail shops, restaurants, lodging and real estate businesses are all supported by...you guest it, ski resorts. Doesn't that make it the ski business and therefore a ski stock?

Powdr likes to call itself "An adventure lifestyle co." which sounds great from a marketing perspective but that's exactly what it is, marketing. Vail doesn't pretend to be anything else other than what they are, a ski resort company.
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

what are they going to do when climate change greatly hinders skiing? i cant imagine mountain biking taking over to the same level.

also, the stock goes up because the elitist business school types believe the workers who make their resorts happen should be paid minimum wage, and if they wont do it, theyll import J1 workers to do it for them. for example, ski instruction used to be a salaried, full time job with benefits. now? minimum wage hourly with no set hours. this isnt a shot at vail, but rather, every single business out there thats large enough to be publicly traded. its all about the shareholders, f*** the people who actually WORK to make it happen.

f*** the workers, lets make the wealthy wealthier!
iRock
Bumper

Post by iRock »

asher2789 wrote: Apr 24th, '21, 08:22

what are they going to do when climate change greatly hinders skiing? i cant imagine mountain biking taking over to the same level.

also, the stock goes up because the elitist business school types believe the workers who make their resorts happen should be paid minimum wage, and if they wont do it, theyll import J1 workers to do it for them. for example, ski instruction used to be a salaried, full time job with benefits. now? minimum wage hourly with no set hours. this isnt a shot at vail, but rather, every single business out there thats large enough to be publicly traded. its all about the shareholders, f*** the people who actually WORK to make it happen.

Your ~26yo angst and entitlement is showing again....
trees, steeps, and yan lifts
that's why I ski DA BEAST
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

iRock wrote:

Vail sucks.

Downdraft
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Downdraft »

KingsFourMan wrote: Apr 23rd, '21, 20:28

But wait, isn't the lifestyle mostly about...ya know, skiing? Most of what they own and operate after all are...ya know, ski resorts. Everything else they own - the retail shops, restaurants, lodging and real estate businesses are all supported by...you guest it, ski resorts. Doesn't that make it the ski business and therefore a ski stock?

Powdr likes to call itself "An adventure lifestyle co." which sounds great from a marketing perspective but that's exactly what it is, marketing. Vail doesn't pretend to be anything else other than what they are, a ski resort company.
No, it’s about expensive lodging, bragging about where you stayed and what you did. Look at my Instafvck sally, I got 3,000 likes dressed like a chode here in Aspen. I also took 3 runs all day but that was crazy. Look at my other pic of me skiing.

It’s all about the glamor and fancy and experience. Skiing is. It what it used to be. And it sucks.
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

iRock wrote: Apr 24th, '21, 09:27

"entitlement" = belief one who works and makes the company function should be paid a living wage, instead of enriching the already wealthy shareholders who contribute nothing to the function of a company. WILD.

boomers, the most entitled generation in the world, who believe THEY should be wealthy off of the work of OTHERS because they "invest".
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

hillbangin wrote: Apr 24th, '21, 10:03
iRock wrote:

Vail sucks.

the whole industry and its consolidation and exploitation of labor sucks.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

asher2789 wrote: Apr 25th, '21, 08:38

"entitlement" = belief one who works and makes the company function should be paid a living wage, instead of enriching the already wealthy shareholders who contribute nothing to the function of a company. WILD.

boomers, the most entitled generation in the world, who believe THEY should be wealthy off of the work of OTHERS because they "invest".
I see you studied at the Bernie Sanders school of Economics.🤦‍♂️
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

throbster wrote: Apr 25th, '21, 08:49
asher2789 wrote: Apr 25th, '21, 08:38

I see you studied at the Bernie Sanders school of Economics.🤦‍♂️
reminder that the federal tip wage is $2.13 and the federal minimum wage is $7.25. Go ahead and defend that.
deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by deadheadskier »

Being an investor and also supporting higher wages for workers are not mutually exclusive positions.

Stock investments don't only support expansion of minimum wage jobs. They also result in millions upon millions of very good paying jobs in society as well.

And one of the great things about investing is the consumer has a choice in who they wish to support. No one is forcing you to buy stock in Walmart, McDonald's, Vail or any other company that doesn't provide solid wages to all their workers.