Excellent and extensive article/project about Joe Biden

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Humpty Dumpty
Post Office

Re: Excellent and extensive article/project about Joe Biden

Post by Humpty Dumpty »

easyrider16 wrote: Apr 30th, '21, 16:05 There's a long and sordid history of the U.S. installing or propping up dictatorships during the cold war as a means to prevent nations from going communist. Some quick googling indicates the U.S. installed or helped install the following right-wing dictators:

Carlos Castillo Armas in Guatemala
General Fazlollah Zahedi in Iran
General Humberto de Alencar Castelo Branco in Brazil
Augusto Pinochet in Chile

I probably missed some. There were many, many other involvements in various forms of regime change, some to promote more democratic regimes and others to protect horrible dictators so long as they opposed communism.

Further reading:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_St ... ime_change
I would like, henceforth, to be referred to as General Humpberto. Any effort to oblige would be appreciated. TIA.
Fancypants
Black Carver

Post by Fancypants »

easyrider16 wrote: Apr 30th, '21, 09:10 When the President violates the law the only recourse is impeachment. As we've seen, that check on presidential power almost never works. Instead, Presidential power has steadily grown over time. I think the founding fathers who warned about the President becoming an elected king were right. Eventually, a President will get elected, seize power, and refuse to give it up. Then the country will turn into something like what Russia or China has. Trump tried but failed because he was incompetent and there were enough honest people in the electoral process willing to stand up against him. But I think it's pretty much inevitable that someone smarter and better prepared will come along and those who care about democracy won't be able to stop it. I just hope it doesn't happen until after I die.

Exactly my perspective except from a polar opposite position.
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

covert CIA regime change antics throughout latin america under multiple presidents but particularly reagan. clinton in kosovo. obama in libya. trump 's airstrikes in syria.

its incredible how ignorant people are of the US's worldwide role in overthrowing democratically elected leaders and installing far right authoritarians in exchange for american corporations extracting that country's resources. where do you think the term banana republic comes from? it's not just a store for business casual clothing. bolivia, overthrown for their lithium ('we'll coup who we want" - elon musk) is the most recent example, in 2019.
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

Fancypants wrote: May 2nd, '21, 19:19
easyrider16 wrote: Apr 30th, '21, 09:10 When the President violates the law the only recourse is impeachment. As we've seen, that check on presidential power almost never works. Instead, Presidential power has steadily grown over time. I think the founding fathers who warned about the President becoming an elected king were right. Eventually, a President will get elected, seize power, and refuse to give it up. Then the country will turn into something like what Russia or China has. Trump tried but failed because he was incompetent and there were enough honest people in the electoral process willing to stand up against him. But I think it's pretty much inevitable that someone smarter and better prepared will come along and those who care about democracy won't be able to stop it. I just hope it doesn't happen until after I die.

Exactly my perspective except from a polar opposite position.
where the progressive left and the libertarian right come full circle tends to be on state power, particularly executive power.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

asher2789 wrote: May 3rd, '21, 16:02 covert CIA regime change antics throughout latin america under multiple presidents but particularly reagan. clinton in kosovo. obama in libya. trump 's airstrikes in syria.

its incredible how ignorant people are of the US's worldwide role in overthrowing democratically elected leaders and installing far right authoritarians in exchange for american corporations extracting that country's resources. where do you think the term banana republic comes from? it's not just a store for business casual clothing. bolivia, overthrown for their lithium ('we'll coup who we want" - elon musk) is the most recent example, in 2019.
Most of the specific countries you cited were far from democratically elected leaders. Furthermore, none of those actions were in violation of the War Powers Act which does not cover covert operations.

Most of the Latin American actions and other support for dictators that led to the term banana republic occurred waaaaaay before the WPA. They go back to the Panama Canal if not before.

If you’re going to argue violations of the WPA at least base it on facts. If you’re going to argue about ugly American actions in general, that’s a different argument and one which we would probably agree on, at least in part.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

Fancypants wrote:Exactly my perspective except from a polar opposite position.
I'm not quite sure what you mean, but you should know that I think the president who seizes power could be from either party.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk