Covid vaccination resistance

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Bubba
Site Admin

Re: Covid vaccination resistance

Post by Bubba »

asher2789 wrote: May 26th, '21, 13:47
spanky wrote: May 5th, '21, 17:10
G-smashed wrote:I'm sorry I have to post this in the political forum. The politicization of this national emergency is a disgrace.
Anti-vaxxers and MAGA supporters are prolonging this nightmare for all of us. I have now had both shots and I hope for the day
when we can ditch the masks and safely resume life as we knew it.
While I agree with you that this is a public health issue and everyone should get vaccinated, I disagree with you lumping anti-vaxxers with MAGA supporters. Not all anti-vaxxers are MAGA and not all MAGA are anti-vax.
also seconding this. i'm probably the furthest left person on this board, and i have all my shots except chicken pox (long story). but i was hesitant mainly because i don't trust big pharma or the medical industry in this country for personal reasons, including losing a parent to medical malpractice, and the long history of shady behavior for profit in healthcare.

at the end of the day though, when i was younger i used to party a lot and did my fair share of whatever club drugs were handed to me - if i survived that, there cant be anything worse in this vaccine lol. and also the horrors of what's going on in india, how young people are dying left and right - i would be stupid to pass up the privilege of easy vaccine access.

my partner, who was more hesitant than me and is almost as far to the left as i am politically (and also has all of her shots), was hesitant for other reasons. mainly - "whats in it" "whats the long term consequences" "i dont get a flu shot why should i get a covid shot" "im young and healthy". of course the first thing i did was point out that shes been a cigarette smoker for half of her life so its plain hypocrisy to worry about whats in the vaccine. but really, she realized the social ramifications and how she felt judged as being "ignorant" for not getting the vaccine, and had some of her clients look at her sideways when she expressed hesitancy. so for social and professional reasons she has changed her mind and will be getting the vaccine.

judging people who are hesitant on the vaccine as being ignorant MAGA supporters and anti-vaxxers is 1. stupid and 2. counterproductive. the best thing to do with people who are hesitant is empathize, and if possible try to persuade them gently.
I see two or three different groups of people resisting Covid vaccination. First are those who are simply against all vaccinations. Second are those who don’t see Covid as a legitimate problem, think it’s a hoax, etc. and simply refuse to believe it’s real. Third are those, like yourself, who were hesitant for various reasons and didn’t want to take what they perceive as a risk; the let’s wait and see how people react crowd. There’s little or nothing you can do to persuade the first two groups. The third group will come along as time goes by.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Bubba wrote: May 26th, '21, 14:30There’s little or nothing you can do to persuade the first two groups. The third group will come along as time goes by.
PA hit 70% of the population with at least one dose. Way higher than I ever expected ... there's hope after all.
Seamus the Leprechan
Green Skidder

Post by Seamus the Leprechan »

my partner, who was more hesitant than me and is almost as far to the left as i am politically (and also has all of her shots), was hesitant for other reasons. mainly - "whats in it" "whats the long term consequences" "i dont get a flu shot why should i get a covid shot" "im young and healthy". of course the first thing i did was point out that shes been a cigarette smoker for half of her life so its plain hypocrisy to worry about whats in the vaccine. but really, she realized the social ramifications and how she felt judged as being "ignorant" for not getting the vaccine, and had some of her clients look at her sideways when she expressed hesitancy. so for social and professional reasons she has changed her mind and will be getting the vaccine.
Has all her shots? What is she, a dog? Was she also de-wormed?

She should more concerned about that nasty smoking habit that has consumed her for so long. Far more dangerous than a covid vax. Who would want to date a smoker anyway? Friggin gross.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

G-smashed wrote:I'm sorry I have to post this in the political forum. The politicization of this national emergency is a disgrace.
Anti-vaxxers and MAGA supporters are prolonging this nightmare for all of us. I have now had both shots and I hope for the day
While I agree with you that this is a public health issue and everyone should get vaccinated, I disagree with you lumping anti-vaxxers with MAGA supporters. Not all anti-vaxxers are MAGA and not all MAGA are anti-vax.
Obviously anti-vaxxers and MAGA is not a 100% overlap, but vaccine hesitancy has been shown to be much higher among republicans than democrats so there is correlation.

https://www.vox.com/2021/3/21/22342184/ ... ancy-polls
Don't Killington Pico
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

Seamus the Leprechan wrote: May 26th, '21, 19:01

Has all her shots? What is she, a dog? Was she also de-wormed?

She should more concerned about that nasty smoking habit that has consumed her for so long. Far more dangerous than a covid vax. Who would want to date a smoker anyway? Friggin gross.
you know, the shots against MMR, chicken pox, TB, tetanus, etc. shots you get in childhood that the anti-vaxx movement is against...

i wish she would quit smoking, but no, its not a deal breaker, and i used to be a cig smoker for a short time and still occasionally smoke blunts. to each their own. i hear the biden admin wants to ban menthols... and while im normally against prohibition as a concept, im all for banning menthols as it would force her and many others to quit (she hates non-menthol cigs).
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

Bubba wrote: May 26th, '21, 14:30
also seconding this. i'm probably the furthest left person on this board, and i have all my shots except chicken pox (long story). but i was hesitant mainly because i don't trust big pharma or the medical industry in this country for personal reasons, including losing a parent to medical malpractice, and the long history of shady behavior for profit in healthcare.

at the end of the day though, when i was younger i used to party a lot and did my fair share of whatever club drugs were handed to me - if i survived that, there cant be anything worse in this vaccine lol. and also the horrors of what's going on in india, how young people are dying left and right - i would be stupid to pass up the privilege of easy vaccine access.

judging people who are hesitant on the vaccine as being ignorant MAGA supporters and anti-vaxxers is 1. stupid and 2. counterproductive. the best thing to do with people who are hesitant is empathize, and if possible try to persuade them gently.
I see two or three different groups of people resisting Covid vaccination. First are those who are simply against all vaccinations. Second are those who don’t see Covid as a legitimate problem, think it’s a hoax, etc. and simply refuse to believe it’s real. Third are those, like yourself, who were hesitant for various reasons and didn’t want to take what they perceive as a risk; the let’s wait and see how people react crowd. There’s little or nothing you can do to persuade the first two groups. The third group will come along as time goes by.
so long as we don't alienate them and push them into the first two groups as defense mechanism for their ego. thats the reason why i say its counterproductive to assume people who arent vaxxed yet to be ignorant MAGA supporters.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

asher2789 wrote: May 26th, '21, 13:37
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: May 5th, '21, 17:56
Dickc wrote: May 5th, '21, 17:17 I also believe that not all people who have NOT run out to get a vaccine are either MAGA or anti-vaxxers. I think there are a lot of people who, perhaps inconvenienced by the whole pandemic, are equally or more inconvenienced by needing to wade through online ques, and really just will only consider it when there is plentiful vaccine, and the ability to just walk into CVS, Walgreens, their primary care office, or such and just get one. That option is only NOW just becoming available, so many just need to know that, and happen by one of these places when it fits THEIR convenience. They just are not THAT convinced that they need to prioritize a vaccine for the world to get back to normal.
This. One of my family members won’t get vaccinated until it’s “easy”. Walk-ins in PA just started becoming available last week.
the VT health website was really easy to set up an appointment, and going to the rutland holiday inn was pretty easy (which is soon closing as it's not needed anymore). its really easy to make an apt at a local pharmacy through the website, just click your preferred pharmacy (different ones are giving different vaccines if that matters to you), put in your information, select a date for the first vaccine, select a date for the second vaccine, and you're good to go.
Thanks. While this family member is in NJ, I did find a similar site and keep nudging them to proceed now that it's so easy to get it done.
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

NH is passing legislation to make the VAX non mandatory. Live Free or die. I'm not wearing a mask. Not getting the chip. This fake pandemic cost me enough in the beginning. Its all fake. Just like the vaccine. They cant cure the common cold let alone cancer. Suddenly they can cure covid in a couple of months. I call BS. Will not comply. Biden is F tard. The black lady is his puppet master.
deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by deadheadskier »

ANGUS wrote: May 28th, '21, 17:09 NH is passing legislation to make the VAX non mandatory. Live Free or die. I'm not wearing a mask. Not getting the chip. This fake pandemic cost me enough in the beginning. Its all fake. Just like the vaccine. They cant cure the common cold let alone cancer. Suddenly they can cure covid in a couple of months. I call BS. Will not comply. Biden is F tard. The black lady is his puppet master.
You know who shared your impossibly stupid beliefs about Covid?

This guy

https://mobile.twitter.com/ConSelfOwns/ ... 52064?s=19
Nikoli
Poster Child Poster

Post by Nikoli »

ANGUS wrote: May 28th, '21, 17:09 NH is passing legislation to make the VAX non mandatory. Live Free or die. I'm not wearing a mask. Not getting the chip. This fake pandemic cost me enough in the beginning. Its all fake. Just like the vaccine. They cant cure the common cold let alone cancer. Suddenly they can cure covid in a couple of months. I call BS. Will not comply. Biden is F tard. The black lady is his puppet master.
Is the earth flat? Did we actually go to the moon?
And the sea will grant each man new hope . . .
-Christopher Columbus
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

Nikoli wrote: May 29th, '21, 07:35
Is the earth flat? Did we actually go to the moon?
:lol: :lol: :like :like
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

If you are free to go without the vaccine, why isn’t a business free to require the vaccine for entry? Live free or die works for all both ways, right?
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Bubba wrote: May 29th, '21, 16:48
If you are free to go without the vaccine, why isn’t a business free to require the vaccine for entry? Live free or die works for all both ways, right?
Have yet to pull my "proof of vaccine card" to get in anywhere yet. Fully expect that I will have to show it before getting our next planned cruise in January.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
skidogg
Poster Child Poster

Post by skidogg »

will ski area's require a proof of vaccine card next year?
problly not but we can't say covid19 is done and gone.
fast is cool.
Faster is cooler. bring back the dis
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Covid will never be done and gone, it's going to be like the flu and common cold and will be around forever. Just have to get on with our lives. Lots of things in this world will kill you but we can't just hide under our beds for the rest of our lives.