Why do Republicans contribute so little to the economy?

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: Why do Republicans contribute so little to the economy?

Post by easyrider16 »

What XJ said, and also I conceded above that taxes are a factor, one among many. Regulations? Haven't seen anything on that.

I think we're dancing around the primary issue. Republican propagandists try to spin this great migration as a move away from liberal democratic states toward republican ones because they think people are fleeing liberal democrat policies. I maintain this is propaganda without much basis in fact.
Last edited by easyrider16 on Jun 3rd, '21, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Jun 3rd, '21, 12:20 The original assertion was people are moving BECAUSE OF taxes and regulations. It's clear from the article that this is not a PRIMARY reason, even though it plays a role.
This argument is much like what I hear with climate change. it boils down to how much of an influence (CO2) taxes have in the decision to move. Its a subjective argument as no one can put a solid finger on it and say THIS MUCH. In Mass, businesses are moving out, and their jobs with them because of the regulations and taxes the businesses have to deal with.

As to Moose's statements about boiling their frog, I have heard that stated by others, but have not so much seen it in print.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

To be clear, I did say above that I do think businesses move because of taxes and regulations, but that in this thread that's not what we appear to be talking about. We're talking about individuals.
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

I think a lot of it is if the business does not move THAT far, the individuals follow, so kind of shows that the taxes and regulations do influence the move.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Dickc wrote: Jun 3rd, '21, 13:34
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Jun 3rd, '21, 12:20 The original assertion was people are moving BECAUSE OF taxes and regulations. It's clear from the article that this is not a PRIMARY reason, even though it plays a role.
This argument is much like what I hear with climate change. it boils down to how much of an influence (CO2) taxes have in the decision to move. Its a subjective argument as no one can put a solid finger on it and say THIS MUCH. In Mass, businesses are moving out, and their jobs with them because of the regulations and taxes the businesses have to deal with.
I think it's clear taxes/regs are not the PRIMARY driver in families/people moving, which is supported by articles posted. Taxes do play some role .. I'm moving to NY to be closer to family and where we picked to live in NY was driven by schools first and then taxes. So taxes came in at #3.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

You must be reading a different article.

Nine out of these 10 (in-bound) states either exempt a large portion of Social Security from income taxes, exempt Social Security completely, or have no income tax at all.

Our State Business Tax Climate Index uses over 100 variables to evaluate states on the competitiveness of their tax rates and structures. Four of the 10 worst-performing states on this year’s Index are also among the 10 states with the most outbound migration in this year’s National Movers Study (New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, and California). Seven of the top 10 ranked inbound migration states also rank in the top half of states on the Index, which measures tax structure.

You actually believe that this is some kind of a coincidence and is not a major factor in why people are leaving and where they are going??

Reminds me of that line from Cheers when Nick Tortelli asks Carla "what ever happened to us?" Carla says "You lied, you cheated, you drank to much, ignored the kids, and never came home." to which Nick replies "Nah, had to be something else."
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

KingsFourMan wrote: Jun 3rd, '21, 14:43You actually believe that this is some kind of a coincidence and is not a major factor in why people are leaving and where they are going??
It is not the PRIMARY factor.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

Understandably the sentiment of many red state residents...
Attachments
b46575fd3fd8abb482ec293de548d02d79a4a9e49cc6743cd9fdbaaf03100b68_1.jpg
b46575fd3fd8abb482ec293de548d02d79a4a9e49cc6743cd9fdbaaf03100b68_1.jpg (186.04 KiB) Viewed 742 times
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

KingsFourMan wrote: Jun 3rd, '21, 14:56 Understandably the sentiment of many red state residents...
The sentiment is predicated on a hasty generalization.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

KingsFourMan wrote: Jun 3rd, '21, 14:56 Understandably the sentiment of many red state residents...
Sounds a lot like the Killington locals page on facebook :lol: