Wealth Tax historically

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Wealth Tax historically

Post by easyrider16 »

Came across something interesting in my reading today. Did you know that in colonial times, the northern colonies imposed a wealth tax?
In 1638, the General Court in Massachusetts required all freemen and non-freemen to support both the commonwealth and the church. Direct taxes took two forms: (1) a wealth tax and (2) a poll, or head tax, which in some instances evolved into or included an income tax.

The wealth tax was based on what was known as the country “rate,” which amounted to a property tax. Government officers carried out assessments, or sometimes the process involved self-assessment subject to audit, on the value of raw and improved lands (meadow, plowed, and hoed land), goods, stock used in trading, boats and other vessels, mills, and other visible assets. Each year, the three units of colonial government — the province, the county, and the town or village — drew up a list of proposed expenditures. To support these governments, a rate of tax was applied to the assessments to generate the requisite funds, resulting in a colony rate, a county rate, and a town or village rate.
https://www.hoover.org/research/colonia ... -1607-1700

Seems to me the concept is not so radical after all. I'm not saying it's necessarily a good idea, but the idea that it is somehow liberal or communist is not supported by history. It's just another tool the government can use to raise money. It should be debated on its merits, not emotional reactions over how and where it originated.

Personally, I think a wealth tax is something worth looking at. One of the main issues with our current tax structure is that very high net worth individuals actually end up paying lower effective tax rates than middle class people. That doesn't seem fair. If a wealth tax can help even that out so the very wealthy pay at least the same rate as the rest of us, I think that would generally be a good thing for society. But I think it'd have to be carefully crafted to consider its impact on the economy. I think it's certainly a better solution than trying to raise the capital gains tax, which it seems to me would have a greater negative impact on the economy and markets.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Re: Wealth Tax historically

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Sounds more like today's property tax than what's being proposed today as a wealth tax. When Trump introduced his tax reform, wish it was also accompanied by a flat tax.
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

But it was not just on real estate, it was on "goods, stock used in trading, boats and other vessels, mills, and other visible assets" That's not a property tax as we think of it today. Imagine if we had a tax on inventory?
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

In Massachusetts, you pay a yearly tax on the rated value of your motor vehicle. There is a boat excise tax based on where you moor it. You are correct that we are not taxed on what we otherwise own, but I tend to think that much of our household goods are not worth a large amount with some exceptions. I my case I have a table that dates to the revolutionary war that is up in the 5 figures for value. Its NOT for sale as its a family heirloom. Most of the rest of it is not worth a whole lot. I believe businesses must inventory and take as assets the value of good in stock at the end of their fiscal year. As to how that affects what the year end taxes does, I don't know.

We are NOT taxed on the accumulated value of our invested assets. Your 401K is not taxed until you remove funds. A Roth is not taxed federally on its withdrawals AND earnings, but in Massachusetts, you can only withdraw, tax free, the amount you contributed to it. The earnings ARE taxable when withdrawn. Annuities are taxed like a private pension.

I DID read that blurb in the NYT newsletter this morning too. I am a bit at a loss as to how Jeff Bezos could have little or no income in 2011 so that he qualified for the earned income credit. Something is NOT right when a Billionaire gets that type of tax break.