Can the Democrat Party be saved?

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Re: Can the Democrat Party be saved?

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

California Senate debate ... Democrat candidates propose raising minimum wage to $50/hour.

https://x.com/BarbaraLeeForCA/status/17 ... 09882?s=20
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

What the F... talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

I really wish a 3rd party were viable in our political system because both of these choices suck.
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

With the Republicans shooting down the immigration reforms, the Democrat party needs to emphasize that in the 2024 election cycle. With grocery prices leading the inflation news, consumers are fed up. Democrats need to get them away from looking at grocery prices and riled up about something else. Smart campaigning by Democrats on the ills of too much uncontrolled immigration and how the Republicans just voted to keep them coming Will put Republicans on the defensive. Of course the Republicans will blame Joe, but if run by the voters correctly, I believe they can deflect blame as being the case of a lost opportunity with the failure of the law.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

easyrider16 wrote: Feb 16th, '24, 15:45 What the F... talk about shooting yourself in the foot.

I really wish a 3rd party were viable in our political system because both of these choices suck.
Was there ever a better time for a viable 3rd party or independent candidate?
G-smashed
Official KZone Historian

Post by G-smashed »

You're right that both choices suck but the only way to keep Trump out of the White House this time around is to vote for Biden. Only Trump is facing 91 felony charges.

Don't Deer Valley Killington!
http://www.myeloma.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ffrf.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.keithrichards.com/
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Results matter... wait, no, this is an election year. Only perception matters. The public perception, whether warranted by the facts or not, is that Biden did a poor job with the economy. I wonder if that will change by November? If things stay on track, and gas prices don't go up, I think it might. Or at least it might not be the issue that motivates people to vote one way or the other.

On the other hand, I think there's a good chance gas prices start going up again. If China's economy turns around, and demand starts going up, that's probably what will happen. If it does, it could mean bad things for Biden.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

The DEI initiatives are quickly forgotten when the cause isn't something universities agree with ... this is why a strong, pro-democracy, Republican party is critical. As a nation, we're better off with two equally strong pro-democracy / rule of law parties.

Watching the leadership at some of these schools squirm is puzzling to say the least.

Columbia faculty members walk out after pro-Palestinian protesters arrested
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... s-shutdown
A huge crowd of faculty members who teach at Columbia University in New York held a mass walk-out on Monday afternoon to protest the institution having called police to arrest students at a pro-Palestinian encampment protest last week.

Hundreds of members of the teaching cohort at Columbia walked out in solidarity with the students who were arrested by the New York police department last week and also suspended by the university.

The solidarity protest came as students put protest tents back up in the middle of campus on Monday after they were torn down last week when more than 100 arrests were made.

The university on Monday morning announced that classes would be held remotely after further days of unrest on the New York campus, following the arrest of pro-Palestinian protesters there last week.
G-smashed
Official KZone Historian

Post by G-smashed »

easyrider16 wrote: Mar 6th, '24, 10:45
I think there's a good chance gas prices start going up again. If China's economy turns around, and demand starts going up, that's probably what will happen. If it does, it could mean bad things for Biden.
In case you haven't noticed gas prices go up every spring and then start to tail off sometime after 7/4. This has been true every year that I've been coming up and can be confirmed by our resident energy expert Bubba.

Don't Deer Valley Killington!
http://www.myeloma.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ffrf.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.keithrichards.com/
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

G-smashed wrote: Apr 22nd, '24, 17:14
I think there's a good chance gas prices start going up again. If China's economy turns around, and demand starts going up, that's probably what will happen. If it does, it could mean bad things for Biden.
In case you haven't noticed gas prices go up every spring and then start to tail off sometime after 7/4. This has been true every year that I've been coming up and can be confirmed by our resident energy expert Bubba.
Normal price increases as refineries do their turnarounds and convert to summer blends. Nothing new. Price increases generally end by Memorial Day and start coming down soon thereafter. After that it’s related to tropical storms, which will clearly be the result of Biden and Democrat policies.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Absolutely. I don't think Joe has a Sharpie to change the storm directions
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Bubba wrote: Apr 22nd, '24, 19:09
Normal price increases as refineries do their turnarounds and convert to summer blends. Nothing new. Price increases generally end by Memorial Day and start coming down soon thereafter. After that it’s related to tropical storms, which will clearly be the result of Biden and Democrat policies.
I actually never noticed this, but I was talking more about larger, longer-term price moves than seasonal fluctuations. In any case it is now looking like China's needs are going to be met by Russian oil, as they've just hit a record for imports. Which illustrates an issue with sanctions. You can sanction Russia all you want but so long as they can sell their oil to other people who aren't participating in your sanctions regime, they're fine. Also demonstrates how little control we have over prices for a global commodity like oil.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

easyrider16 wrote: Apr 23rd, '24, 08:01
Bubba wrote: Apr 22nd, '24, 19:09
I actually never noticed this, but I was talking more about larger, longer-term price moves than seasonal fluctuations. In any case it is now looking like China's needs are going to be met by Russian oil, as they've just hit a record for imports. Which illustrates an issue with sanctions. You can sanction Russia all you want but so long as they can sell their oil to other people who aren't participating in your sanctions regime, they're fine. Also demonstrates how little control we have over prices for a global commodity like oil.
Guaranteed the Chinese are buying Russian oil at quite the discount to world oil prices.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Skid Mark
Green Skidder

Post by Skid Mark »

Remember when Biden cancelled the Keystone pipeline but approved the Nord Stream? Weakening the US while strengthening Russia? That was great!
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Skid Mark wrote: Apr 23rd, '24, 09:34 Remember when Biden cancelled the Keystone pipeline but approved the Nord Stream? Weakening the US while strengthening Russia? That was great!
I do, that was pretty stupid of him. Remember when Trump had his minions storm the capitol building? That was even more stupid.