Can the Democrat Party be saved?

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
throbster
Postaholic

Can the Democrat Party be saved?

Post by throbster »

Can you imagine being a member of a party that wants to defund the police?

How did the votes on the S.1 for the people act go, Chucky?

Gas prices keep going up and up. So happy we're dependent on foreign oil again.

How's that latest Covid relief bill working out for small businesses who can't find workers?

Any anonymous buyers out there willing to buy (bribe) one of Hunter's $500,000 paintings?

Bernie wants to spend another 6 trillion. That's trillion with a "T".

Requiring photo IDs to vote is suddenly okay.

The Mexican cartels love Sleepy

Shoplifting under $1000 is okay!

Bail? Racist! Let the criminals free!

Israel and the US are similar to Hamas.

I could go on and on.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: Can the Democrat Party be saved?

Post by easyrider16 »

I'll agree with you on many of these points. James Carville posted a pretty damning critique of many of the issues the Democratic party has right now. One of them is this defunding police nonsense, which is terribly unpopular (with good reason). He also criticizes the wokeness culture and the democrat penchant for using college faculty language instead of the language of regular people.

https://www.vox.com/22338417/james-carv ... n-100-days

Both parties suck. Democrats have all these issues, and Republicans are trying to overturn the results of a legitimate election. We should get rid of both parties and start over.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Both parties are playing chess, but only one is eating the pieces. I'm voting for the one that isn't eating the pieces, even though I don't agree with 80% of their platform.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

easyrider16 wrote: Jun 23rd, '21, 08:13 I'll agree with you on many of these points. James Carville posted a pretty damning critique of many of the issues the Democratic party has right now. One of them is this defunding police nonsense, which is terribly unpopular (with good reason). He also criticizes the wokeness culture and the democrat penchant for using college faculty language instead of the language of regular people.

https://www.vox.com/22338417/james-carv ... n-100-days

Both parties suck. Democrats have all these issues, and Republicans are trying to overturn the results of a legitimate election. We should get rid of both parties and start over.
The problem with your both parties suck statement is it creates a narrative that somehow both parties are equally at fault for the dysfunction and division we are currently experiencing.

Most of what robster listed about the democrats are either outright lies or exaggerations of policy positions that many of us think go too far anyway. These are at least items that could be discussed and negotiated in more normal times and all of which are super minor as compared to republican terrorists trying to destroy our democracy and overturn an election because they didn't like the results.

Only one party needs to start over.
Don't Killington Pico
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

It's their job to work together. Republican leaders have democrats as constituents. Democratic leaders have republicans as constituents. DO YOUR f*** JOBS!
ImageImageImageImage
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

I was an independent for most of my adult life, mostly because I was politically ignorant and because I didn't realize how insanely biased the media is and how much it influences the masses, myself included. My voting record for over 30 years reflected this which was split almost evenly between the two parties. I even voted for Obama once which I deeply regret because I can't stand him now or his wife. He was presidential and great at being black but that was about it. Fortunately for him, that was all he needed to be elected twice. He accomplished nothing in 8 years compared to what Trump accomplished in 4.

From what I've seen from the democrats during Trumps presidency with their incessant whining and relentless attacks on him, and what I've seen from the Biden administration thus far, I will never vote democratic ever again in my life and now consider myself a hard core Republican.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

Post by yiddle on da fiddle »

Cant. Fight.FACTS.
Attachments
bullseye.jpg
bullseye.jpg (23.04 KiB) Viewed 113492 times
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

KingsFourMan wrote: Jun 23rd, '21, 10:47He was presidential and great at being black but that was about it.
What does 'great at being black' mean?
KingsFourMan wrote: Jun 23rd, '21, 10:47He accomplished nothing in 8 years compared to what Trump accomplished in 4.
I didn't vote for Obama or Trump, but what do you view as the top 3 accomplishments of each?
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Jun 23rd, '21, 11:11
KingsFourMan wrote: Jun 23rd, '21, 10:47He was presidential and great at being black but that was about it.
Just that, he was of black ethnicity (meaning not at all white ethnicity), which is one of the main reasons, if not THE main reason, why he was elected twice.
KingsFourMan wrote: Jun 23rd, '21, 10:47He accomplished nothing in 8 years compared to what Trump accomplished in 4.
As far as Obama's accomplishments, he became the first black president proving that America is not systemically racist, that was a monumental accomplishment. He was also good at being presidential which put America in a good light with the rest of the world. He also tried hard to come up with health insurance for all which I do think is important but he fell short. Beyond those things, there wasn't much else.

As far as Trump goes, he clamped down on illegal immigration by enforcing our immigration laws and working hard to secure our southern border. For that he was labelled a racist. He cut taxes and reduced excessive government regulation creating a booming economy and record low unemployment. Jobs were coming back to America instead of being driven out. He renegotiated unfair foreign trade deals and he helped make America energy independent.

But far and away his single greatest accomplishment was that he kept that wench Hillary out of the white house. For that alone he deserves his head on Mt Rushmore.

The best thing about Trump was that he wasn't a career politician, he was a highly successful businessman with brass balls who turned Washington DC on it's head and body slammed it to the ground which was exactly what it needed, now so more than ever.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

Post by yiddle on da fiddle »

and?...for all his childish mannerisms..ge was SPOT balls on...when he reminded ol' Joe...."Ive done more in 47 months that youve even tried to do in 47 YEARS.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

KingsFourMan wrote: Jun 23rd, '21, 12:32
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Jun 23rd, '21, 11:11
Just that, he was of black ethnicity (meaning not at all white ethnicity), which is one of the main reasons, if not THE main reason, why he was elected twice.
His mother was white, but I'm still not sure what 'great at being black' means. Just haven't heard it before. Similarly, I haven't heard the phrase 'great at being white'.

As far as Obama's accomplishments, he became the first black president proving that America is not systemically racist, that was a monumental accomplishment. He was also good at being presidential which put America in a good light with the rest of the world. He also tried hard to come up with health insurance for all which I do think is important but he fell short. Beyond those things, there wasn't much else.
I was not an Obama fan, but thought the ACA, pulling us out of the 2008 downturn, consumer protection act, net neutrality, and killing Bin Laden were the standout accomplishments. Not saying they were perfect or I agreed with each in their entirety, but they are the accomplishments that stand out.
KingsFourMan wrote: Jun 23rd, '21, 10:47As far as Trump goes, he clamped down on illegal immigration by enforcing our immigration laws and working hard to secure our southern border.
I don't think there's any disputing this. Data shows apprehensions went way up during Trump's term. We don't know if this is because more were coming across or our enforcement increased. I'm inclined to believe the latter.
KingsFourMan wrote: Jun 23rd, '21, 10:47For that he was labelled a racist.
I don't think he was called a racist for wanting to close the border. I think he was called a racist for labeling illegal immigrants as drug dealers and rapists. The majority of immigrants are not either of these.
KingsFourMan wrote: Jun 23rd, '21, 10:47He cut taxes and reduced excessive government regulation creating a booming economy and record low unemployment.
I viewed his tax cuts as his most significant accomplishment. How he reshaped the courts, created the space force, and first step act were also accomplishments that stick out.
KingsFourMan wrote: Jun 23rd, '21, 10:47Jobs were coming back to America instead of being driven out.
I haven't seen anything that supports he did this in any material way.
KingsFourMan wrote: Jun 23rd, '21, 10:47He renegotiated unfair foreign trade deals and he helped make America energy independent.
Similar to above, I haven't seen anything that supports that these renegotiated trade deals have helped us in any material way. By and large, I think these negotiations were performative.
KingsFourMan wrote: Jun 23rd, '21, 10:47But far and away his single greatest accomplishment was that he kept that wench Hillary out of the white house. For that alone he deserves his head on Mt Rushmore.
Haha. This was my reaction in 2016. Really thought he'd settle in, but he went in a different direction. Had he managed COVID better and stopped his divisive rhetoric ... he would have been a two term POTUS. COVID was a really big lost opportunity to win hearts and minds.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Jun 23rd, '21, 14:01 I don't think he was called a racist for wanting to close the border. I think he was called a racist for labeling illegal immigrants as drug dealers and rapists. The majority of immigrants are not either of these.
Show me where Trump labeled illegal immigrants as drug dealers and rapists. And don't show me where he said some are.
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Jun 23rd, '21, 14:01 Had he managed COVID better and stopped his divisive rhetoric ... he would have been a two term POTUS. COVID was a really big lost opportunity to win hearts and minds.
OK, lets tally that score. Trump closed international flights early and against Democrat objection. Trump championed right to try for promising new treatments. Trump met with Pharma, established a plan, and prefunded millions of doses of vaccine. Trump cut red tape and delivered the vaccine in record time. Trump converted and sent 2 hospital ships to the most affected areas and built many field hospitals. Trump scaled up production of ventilators, and the forecast (and much hyped by the press) ventilator crisis never materialized. Trump dumped the use of masks outdoors early and was excoriated for it. Trump was combative with Fauci's lack of straightforwardness, which in hindsight is getting more and more defendable.

On the negative, Trump made several clumsy remarks which were exaggerated by the press and he was excoriated for, such as "Inject yourself with bleach" Trump could have promoted indoor mask use more and reduced social gatherings earlier.

So it seems the press is more to blame for this assertion than Trump is. You add to the list, and we'll see how the score looks.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Mister Moose wrote: Jun 23rd, '21, 14:44
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Jun 23rd, '21, 14:01 I don't think he was called a racist for wanting to close the border. I think he was called a racist for labeling illegal immigrants as drug dealers and rapists. The majority of immigrants are not either of these.
Show me where Trump labeled illegal immigrants as drug dealers and rapists. And don't show me where he said some are.
We both know what he said and that’s why he was labeled a racist. I never said he was racist nor do I think he is. I haven’t posted that I thought he was either.
Mister Moose wrote: Jun 23rd, '21, 14:44
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Jun 23rd, '21, 14:01 Had he managed COVID better and stopped his divisive rhetoric ... he would have been a two term POTUS. COVID was a really big lost opportunity to win hearts and minds.
OK, lets tally that score. Trump closed international flights early and against Democrat objection. Trump championed right to try for promising new treatments. Trump met with Pharma, established a plan, and prefunded millions of doses of vaccine. Trump cut red tape and delivered the vaccine in record time. Trump converted and sent 2 hospital ships to the most affected areas and built many field hospitals. Trump scaled up production of ventilators, and the forecast (and much hyped by the press) ventilator crisis never materialized. Trump dumped the use of masks outdoors early and was excoriated for it. Trump was combative with Fauci's lack of straightforwardness, which in hindsight is getting more and more defendable.

On the negative, Trump made several clumsy remarks which were exaggerated by the press and he was excoriated for, such as "Inject yourself with bleach" Trump could have promoted indoor mask use more and reduced social gatherings earlier.

So it seems the press is more to blame for this assertion than Trump is. You add to the list, and we'll see how the score looks.
It’s not a score about who wins, Moose.

Trump was effective on the vaccine front, no doubt.

Are you saying you thought he was effective at managing the virus between day 1 and vaccine EULA? He politicized mask wearing, which was basically the only real preventive measure we had before EULA.

You didn’t comment on his divisive rhetoric, which aside from losing the White House, almost cost some congress members their lives.
Bigjohnski
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by Bigjohnski »

Obama was the first woman president.
deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by deadheadskier »

Bigjohnski wrote: Jun 23rd, '21, 19:24 Obama was the first woman president.
Between this comment

and King's "Obama was great at being black and only got elected because of skin color"

WTF Fellas ?!?!