Can the Democrat Party be saved?

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: Can the Democrat Party be saved?

Post by easyrider16 »

I did read the article. It cited 13 cities that were defunding police. Do you know how many cities and towns there are in the United States? Nearly 20,000. So obviously it isn't happening everywhere, and certainly not everywhere that has a democrat majority.

I think you're refusing to see that this is more nuanced than "Democrats want to defund police." Yes, some democrats have latched on to the defund police campaign. Many, notably the ones with the most power like Biden and Pelosi, have not. And while I understand that funding decisions for policing are mostly a local issue, local police departments can and do receive funding from the federal government.

By the way, I agree that defunding the police is a bad idea, and I hate the slogan. But I think we need to be careful not to paint all democrats with the same brush as wanting to defund the police.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Republicans are trying to tie the Democratic Party to its furthest left members, “the squad”, of AOC etc. that’s all of 6 members of Congress.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
FingerPicker
Beginner On Rentals

Post by FingerPicker »

easyrider16 wrote: Jun 29th, '21, 13:39 I did read the article. It cited 13 cities that were defunding police. Do you know how many cities and towns there are in the United States? Nearly 20,000. So obviously it isn't happening everywhere, and certainly not everywhere that has a democrat majority.

I think you're refusing to see that this is more nuanced than "Democrats want to defund police." Yes, some democrats have latched on to the defund police campaign. Many, notably the ones with the most power like Biden and Pelosi, have not. And while I understand that funding decisions for policing are mostly a local issue, local police departments can and do receive funding from the federal government.

By the way, I agree that defunding the police is a bad idea, and I hate the slogan. But I think we need to be careful not to paint all democrats with the same brush as wanting to defund the police.
The article cites 13 cities, but it's more than that. The problem is growing. Add Oakland to list.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2021/ ... nt-budget/

While it's true you can't paint all democrats with that brush, it's obvious that there is a large part of the democrat party that believes it. Furthermore, you have loud defund the police voices out there, like AOC that people listen to.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Bubba wrote: Jun 29th, '21, 14:09 Republicans are trying to tie the Democratic Party to its furthest left members, “the squad”, of AOC etc. that’s all of 6 members of Congress.
The irony of this strategy is that the Democrats in charge of their party are moderates, whereas the Republican party has been working to ostracize their moderates for some time now.
FingerPicker wrote: Jun 29th, '21, 14:35 Furthermore, you have loud defund the police voices out there, like AOC that people listen to.
I think Republicans pay more attention to what AOC says than anyone else, to be honest. She's a pretty fringe voice with little power or backing.

Btw, I'm not sure it is a growing problem. Apparently many of these "defund the police" cities have already begun refunding police after seeing what a bad idea it was:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/cities-rev ... 1622066307
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Yes, there are many cities in the country, but if you look at the 10 most populated cities in the US, half of them have defunded police including the 3 most populated. So it isnt a miniscule number.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Add up the population of the ten most populated cities in the U.S. and you get less than 30 million people in a nation of over 300 million. See also the article I just posted that discusses how many of these cities are already reversing decisions to defund police.

I think it's fair to say, though, that the only party that even partly supports defunding police is the democrats. But democrats are far from united on the issue, and the moderates in power are opposed to it.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Back to when I restarted this thread today..... whatevrr you think about defunding the police, the white house saying it's republicans who are defunding the police is just absurd.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

I can't speak to all the cities, but Philadelphia cut $33.3 million from the 2021 police budget. This sounds like a big number, but ignoring the cuts in other areas, Philly police will only be 4% below the funding they need for 2021. Hardly a concentrated defunding effort.
Bigjohnski
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by Bigjohnski »

Democrats are against that increase btw
Fancypants
Black Carver

Post by Fancypants »

easyrider16 wrote: Jun 29th, '21, 14:53 Add up the population of the ten most populated cities in the U.S. and you get less than 30 million people in a nation of over 300 million. See also the article I just posted that discusses how many of these cities are already reversing decisions to defund police.
The 30 million number maybe correct for the ten largest cities proper but include the population from the immediate metro area (which is also very much affected by actions at the core) and your point is meaningless. Take Chicago for example, 2.7 million in the city but the metro area has almost 9 million. NYC is the same way, currently 8.3 million with 18.8 million in the immediate metro area. Regardless, the de-fund the police movement is just the tip of the iceberg of what is occurring within our justice system, too many social justice warriors in places of power and not enough law and order that's applied without prejudice and bias.
Democrats are far from united on the issue, and the moderates in power are opposed to it.
And which Moderates might those be? Certainly not Pelosi, Schumer and Harris. Joe doesn't count because they have him on the happy pills.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Fancypants wrote: Jul 1st, '21, 21:00
easyrider16 wrote: Jun 29th, '21, 14:53 Add up the population of the ten most populated cities in the U.S. and you get less than 30 million people in a nation of over 300 million. See also the article I just posted that discusses how many of these cities are already reversing decisions to defund police.
The 30 million number maybe correct for the ten largest cities proper but include the population from the immediate metro area (which is also very much affected by actions at the core) and your point is meaningless. Take Chicago for example, 2.7 million in the city but the metro area has almost 9 million. NYC is the same way, currently 8.3 million with 18.8 million in the immediate metro area. Regardless, the de-fund the police movement is just the tip of the iceberg of what is occurring within our justice system, too many social justice warriors in places of power and not enough law and order that's applied without prejudice and bias.
I think you just missed the point. The Chicago police department only patrols Chicago, not the greater metro area which has separate police forces.
Fancypants wrote: Jul 1st, '21, 21:00
easyrider16 wrote: Jun 29th, '21, 14:53 Democrats are far from united on the issue, and the moderates in power are opposed to it.
And which Moderates might those be? Certainly not Pelosi, Schumer and Harris. Joe doesn't count because they have him on the happy pills.
This article names quite a few, including Pelosi and Schumer:
“Defund the police” has become the latest battle cry of liberals protesting George Floyd's death in demonstrations across the country. But it won’t be echoed by lawmakers in the halls of Congress.

Top Democrats are carefully — but forcefully — speaking out against growing calls from activists to defund police departments, an idea backed by prominent progressives to dismantle the system that has perpetuated the type of brutality seen in Floyd’s death in Minneapolis.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/0 ... ats-307766

As to Harris:
"Joe Biden and Kamala Harris do not support defunding the police, and it is a lie to suggest otherwise," said Sabrina Singh, Harris’ press secretary. "Throughout her career, Sen. Harris has supported increasing funding to police departments and boosting funding for community policing."
https://www.statesman.com/story/news/po ... /42738997/
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

KAMala Harris' office is a shitshow.

Who voted for this unqualified skank?

Bahahahaha!

https://www.businessinsider.in/politics ... 069319.cms
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

This article may be true. I wouldn't vote for Harris if there was a reasonable alternative. However, calling the VP of the united states a "skank" is pretty misogynistic and a bit disgusting.
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

Post by yiddle on da fiddle »

Silly me...all this time..I didnt see...this IS...Asser.
Bigjohnski
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by Bigjohnski »

Democrats are for defunding the police

Anything else is pure fallacy