Real estate taxes are way up

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

LINYbob
Bumper

Real estate taxes are way up

Post by LINYbob »

I just got my tax bill for 2021 and it is much higher than last year.

The municipal tax is up 14% from the 2020 bill. WOW!
Last year it was up only 1% over 2019. Is that increase all for the new firehouse they built?

The school tax is up 8% over 2020 vs 4.2% over 2019 - I guess the elementary school must have bought all new computers or something.

And we get no vote in any of this.
Seacoaster
Bumper

Re: Real estate taxes are way up

Post by Seacoaster »

I will have to look into this when I receive mine. I always said(as a voter) we were getting sold a book of goods for the school consolidation program, it was said it would reduce our taxes....... now they are up and we have less say in the district
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Well at least they are resurfacing roads that don't need it.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
E O Eleven
Black Carver

Post by E O Eleven »

:zzz
Last edited by E O Eleven on Jan 13th, '22, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.
Bigjohnski
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by Bigjohnski »

You keep voting these morons in. Deal with it.
LINYbob
Bumper

Post by LINYbob »

Out of town owners don't get a vote.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

I think my Town of Killington tax is up over $600 from last year.. I got my bill yesterday and could not believe the new amount. Because this is a vacation home then we do not get to vote.
E O Eleven
Black Carver

Post by E O Eleven »

Last edited by E O Eleven on Jan 11th, '22, 09:23, edited 2 times in total.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

So if you are a legal resident but not a us citizen residing in Vermont you can't vote on property taxes? That just doesn't make sense.
E O Eleven
Black Carver

Post by E O Eleven »

Last edited by E O Eleven on Jan 11th, '22, 09:24, edited 1 time in total.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

daytripper wrote: Jul 21st, '21, 08:09 So if you are a legal resident but not a us citizen residing in Vermont you can't vote on property taxes? That just doesn't make sense.
You have to be a US Citizen - but property owners don't vote - you only vote where you are registered to vote - and you are only supposed to vote in 1 place in the United States - unless you are a Democrat...........

Am I eligible to vote in Vermont?
Any person may register to vote in the town of his or her residence who, on Election Day:

1. is a citizen of the United States;
2. is a resident of the state of Vermont (and a resident of the town in which you apply to be added to the checklist);
3. has taken, or has previously taken, the Voter’s Oath (formerly called the “Freeman’s Oath”); and
4. is 18 years of age or more.
Any person meeting the requirements above who will be 18 on or before the date of a general election may register and vote in the primary election immediately preceding that general election. See 17 V.S.A. § 2121.

For purposes of voter registration, the Vermont Statutes define residency as follows:

“Resident” shall mean a person who is domiciled in the town as evidenced by an intent to maintain a principal dwelling place in the town indefinitely and to return there if temporarily absent, coupled with an act or acts consistent with that intent. 17 V.S.A. § 2122(b).

Return to Top

Who is a resident for voting purposes?
Vermont election law defines a resident as “a person who is domiciled in the town as evidenced by an intent to maintain a principal dwelling place in the town indefinitely and to return there if temporarily absent, coupled with an act or acts consistent with that intent.” 17 V.S.A. § 2122(b).

The law creates a subjective standard. This means that it is the voter’s intent and actions that determine residency, not how many nights a year the voter sleeps in town. A voter who has more than one home must decide which one is his or her “principal” dwelling place.

Special cases: Vermont election law allows a person to remain registered in the last town in which they resided if they are in the military, living overseas, in a nursing home or other health care facility, in a veterans home, attending school, or in a correctional institution. See 17 V.S.A. § 2122(a).

Return to Top
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

LINYbob wrote: Jul 20th, '21, 07:39 I just got my tax bill for 2021 and it is much higher than last year.

The municipal tax is up 14% from the 2020 bill. WOW!
Last year it was up only 1% over 2019. Is that increase all for the new firehouse they built?

The school tax is up 8% over 2020 vs 4.2% over 2019 - I guess the elementary school must have bought all new computers or something.

It's a very good time to sell.......
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

LINYbob wrote: Jul 20th, '21, 07:39

You ought to know by now that the school tax is a statewide rate and has nothing to do with which town your property is in.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
LINYbob
Bumper

Post by LINYbob »

True about the school, but this year it is the municipal part that had a huge increase. I don't know why they can't smooth it out a bit. Some years it goes up over 10%, others around 1%.
Bigjohnski
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by Bigjohnski »

Who votes on taxes?? You vote when you elect these thieves