Is POW a good charity to donate to

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Is POW a good charity to donate to

Post by BoozeTan »

So for my birthday this year I am asking my friends and family to donate to charities. I am looking for a good animal charity, and by good I mean one that uses most of the donation to actually help animals rather than pay some asshole in a suit a salary. I am also considering POW (Protect Our Winters) as well but I dont now much about them and how they use the donation. Anyone have any experience with POW?
spanky
Site Admin

Re: Is POW a good charity to donate to

Post by spanky »

No experience with POW, but I’ve had several experiences with Vermont Adaptive and highly recommend them as a “close to home” charity.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

If you have a local animal shelter, they accept charitable donations and most of the contribution usually goes to direct care.
ImageImageImageImage
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Wounded Warriors
World Vision
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
Nikoli
Poster Child Poster

Post by Nikoli »

Didn’t wounded warriors get busted a while back.
And the sea will grant each man new hope . . .
-Christopher Columbus
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

They had a bad actor CEO but he' has been gone long ago

- Simon and Garfunkel
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

Charity Navigator is a good reference:

POW: https://www.charitynavigator.org/ein/208474909

Vermont Adaptive: https://www.charitynavigator.org/ein/742472938

Although, Vermont Adaptive didn’t score well, it appears the score is impacted by the limited data.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

Stormchaser wrote: Aug 3rd, '21, 08:56 If you have a local animal shelter, they accept charitable donations and most of the contribution usually goes to direct care.
I agree. Donate to your local animal shelter and/or rescue. Most of my donations go to animals. They deserve it more...
GlacierBoy
Black Carver

Post by GlacierBoy »

Have been a member of POW the last few winters because membership is a free perk when buying a full IKON pass.

I don’t know how many members of POW joined because of the free linkage to IKON but it could be very substantial.

Mario Molina we brought on approximately two years ago as Protect Our Winters’ Executive Director. Based on the email comms. from POW in past 1.5 years have seemed to be more professional and activist so that’s been good to see
skixc2
Black Carver

Post by skixc2 »

I don't know anything about POW, but I am baffled as to why multiple people have suggested a local animal shelter for donations. The OP clearly was looking for a winter or snow related charity on this SKI forum. We have no idea that OP even cares about animals, and it is presumptuous to assume so. Just my 2 cents.
Raise 'Em Jay
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

skixc2 wrote: Aug 4th, '21, 07:56 I don't know anything about POW, but I am baffled as to why multiple people have suggested a local animal shelter for donations. The OP clearly was looking for a winter or snow related charity on this SKI forum. We have no idea that OP even cares about animals, and it is presumptuous to assume so. Just my 2 cents.
Huh?
I am looking for a good animal charity, and by good I mean one that uses most of the donation to actually help animals rather than pay some asshole in a suit a salary.
ImageImageImageImage
skixc2
Black Carver

Post by skixc2 »

Stormchaser wrote: Aug 4th, '21, 07:58
skixc2 wrote: Aug 4th, '21, 07:56 I don't know anything about POW, but I am baffled as to why multiple people have suggested a local animal shelter for donations. The OP clearly was looking for a winter or snow related charity on this SKI forum. We have no idea that OP even cares about animals, and it is presumptuous to assume so. Just my 2 cents.
Huh?
I am looking for a good animal charity, and by good I mean one that uses most of the donation to actually help animals rather than pay some asshole in a suit a salary.
Oops! Fair, you are correct Stormy, my apologies!
Raise 'Em Jay
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

skixc2 wrote: Aug 4th, '21, 08:15
Stormchaser wrote: Aug 4th, '21, 07:58
Huh?
Oops! Fair, you are correct Stormy, my apologies!
Chalk that one up to needing another cup of morning coffee! :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

POW will have no impact on global warming, but if it makes you feel good, go for it. Until China and India curb their carbon emissions, POW will have as much impact as a butterfly fart in a hurricane.

- Simon and Garfunkel
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Nikoli wrote: Aug 3rd, '21, 13:31 Didn’t wounded warriors get busted a while back.
i stopped donating to Wounded Warriors when that happened. I use Charity Navigator to check out how charities use their funds.