Alec Baldwin shooting

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Re: Alec Baldwin shooting

Post by Mister Moose »

Coydog wrote: Oct 27th, '21, 05:13 Who knew Alec Baldwin could turn so many conservatives into gun control advocates? 8)
Explain please. What gun control measures are being advocated as a result of this incident?
Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

Well, for starters:
Mister Moose wrote: Why isn't it standard protocol for every actor who will fire a prop gun be personally responsible, to be trained to inspect firearms, be trained in the dangers associated with blanks, and be required to personally check each gun he is given to shoot, each time, each scene?
You wanna make some kinda law to enforce personal inspections and mandatory trainings? If not, then you leave it up to the studios and they can do what they damn well please to whatever level of legal and/or moral risk they deem acceptable. It reduces to a simple business proposition.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Coydog wrote: Oct 27th, '21, 12:47 Well, for starters:
Mister Moose wrote: Why isn't it standard protocol for every actor who will fire a prop gun be personally responsible, to be trained to inspect firearms, be trained in the dangers associated with blanks, and be required to personally check each gun he is given to shoot, each time, each scene?
You wanna make some kinda law to enforce personal inspections and mandatory trainings? If not, then you leave it up to the studios and they can do what they damn well please to whatever level of legal and/or moral risk they deem acceptable. It reduces to a simple business proposition.
I think you're shooting from the hip here. There's a difference between gun control, usually new laws that place additional limitations on firearm ownership, and existing legal standards that apply to all kinds of dangerous conduct - "ordinary care" and "negligent homicide". I don't think the standard of ordinary care for any firearm involves pointing the gun at a person, or placing your finger on the trigger, or failing to check the gun you are holding.
Bigjohnski
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by Bigjohnski »

deadheadskier wrote: Oct 27th, '21, 07:41 What's clear is certain people feel that those who are big meanies to Trump don't deserve due process. You know, a full investigation and evidence based hearing.

Had it been James Woods or Clint Eastwood who pulled the trigger, these same folks would simply say, "Thoughts and prayers" and move on with their lives
another BS garbage diatribe from DHS
Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

Mister Moose wrote: Oct 27th, '21, 13:36
Coydog wrote: Oct 27th, '21, 12:47 Well, for starters:
I think you're shooting from the hip here. There's a difference between gun control, usually new laws that place additional limitations on firearm ownership, and existing legal standards that apply to all kinds of dangerous conduct - "ordinary care" and "negligent homicide". I don't think the standard of ordinary care for any firearm involves pointing the gun at a person, or placing your finger on the trigger, or failing to check the gun you are holding.
1) Watch a few more movies, you'll see all sorts of interesting behaviors regarding guns over the last 100 years or so. I've also heard they perform stunts with cars, trains and planes that some might consider negligent. Context is key.

2) Standard of ordinary care? Who's standard? Are these standards codified in the law for all to see? If so, then this clearly falls in the realm of gun control and regulation. If not, then it's up to the private sector to come up with standards they deem acceptable and their standards might differ from yours.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Coydog wrote: Oct 27th, '21, 14:11
Mister Moose wrote: Oct 27th, '21, 13:36 I think you're shooting from the hip here. There's a difference between gun control, usually new laws that place additional limitations on firearm ownership, and existing legal standards that apply to all kinds of dangerous conduct - "ordinary care" and "negligent homicide". I don't think the standard of ordinary care for any firearm involves pointing the gun at a person, or placing your finger on the trigger, or failing to check the gun you are holding.
1) Watch a few more movies, you'll see all sorts of interesting behaviors regarding guns over the last 100 years or so. I've also heard they perform stunts with cars, trains and planes that some might consider negligent. Context is key.

2) Standard of ordinary care? Who's standard? Are these standards codified in the law for all to see? If so, then this clearly falls in the realm of gun control and regulation. If not, then it's up to the private sector to come up with standards they deem acceptable and their standards might differ from yours.
1) Oh c'mon. Movies have entire special effects departments, back lots, CGI, green screens and sound stages to make something look real when it isn't. Do you think monkeys really flew in 1939?

2) I would start with the criminal court's standard. And of course the other real world determinant is the insurance company's standard. And are you really trying to bundle negligence case law into gun control? I think you might be the only one.

All I've done is ask questions on what happened related to what firearm instructors would consider ordinary care. Those aren't my standards.

You're trying to make a gun control point where none really exists. This is an accident of carelessness, not of violation of background checks, purchasing a firearm, illegal magazine, caliber, or firearm type.
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

I'm still pro 2A. I am alive today because my uncle carried, Hats off to sheriff Ray Holland. May he rest in peace. My half brother was murdered in Sept of 2020. My father was EX military and a LEO. We were taught from a young age to treat firearms with respect. 1.Is it loaded? 2. Ask how it it operates and verify safety is on. 3. Accept the firearm for inspection and clear the action in a safe direction to make sure it is empty. 4. Never touch a firearm without consent or supervision. AKA don't f around. 5.Never handle or fire a gun for the first time with out instruction. Basic rules kept me alive.
Alec Baldwin was anti 2A. He had no reason to even touch a firearm. They make CGI now. My 2 cents.
Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

Mister Moose wrote: You're trying to make a gun control point where none really exists. This is an accident of carelessness, not of violation of background checks, purchasing a firearm, illegal magazine, caliber, or firearm type.
If you think mandatory training is not a gun control issue, search on “Constitutional Carry”.

Seven states require a permit to open carry a handgun, but do not require training. Sixteen additional states do not require a permit and also do not require training. In fact Texas, which previously required training, just passed a law that among other things, specifically dropped their training requirement because it was considered an infringement on 2A rights.

You ask why Baldwin was not trained to handle a handgun? We don’t know what level of training, if any, he had, but in New Mexico, it is explicitly not required for open carry.

Maybe it should be.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Having been at the range and watched someone handle a firearm without training …. It’s terrifying.
Last edited by XtremeJibber2001 on Oct 28th, '21, 07:39, edited 1 time in total.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Coydog wrote: Oct 27th, '21, 05:13 Who knew Alec Baldwin could turn so many conservatives into gun control advocates? 8)
I'm not sure how you came to this moronic conclusion, but whatever.

Baldwin is a stone thrower, and his glass house just got shattered. Karma.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

throbster wrote: Oct 28th, '21, 07:37
I'm not sure how you came to this moronic conclusion, but whatever.
Do you believe training should be mandatory in order to open carry a handgun or is that moronic?
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Too soon?
Attachments
FB_IMG_1635436133281.jpg
FB_IMG_1635436133281.jpg (25.52 KiB) Viewed 624 times
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

Ok, that's a good one.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Coydog wrote: Oct 28th, '21, 07:17
Mister Moose wrote: You're trying to make a gun control point where none really exists. This is an accident of carelessness, not of violation of background checks, purchasing a firearm, illegal magazine, caliber, or firearm type.
If you think mandatory training is not a gun control issue, search on “Constitutional Carry”.

Seven states require a permit to open carry a handgun, but do not require training. Sixteen additional states do not require a permit and also do not require training. In fact Texas, which previously required training, just passed a law that among other things, specifically dropped their training requirement because it was considered an infringement on 2A rights.

You ask why Baldwin was not trained to handle a handgun? We don’t know what level of training, if any, he had, but in New Mexico, it is explicitly not required for open carry.

Maybe it should be.
No where did I say mandatory training. You're still trying to make a gun control point where none exists. It is not training that is required, it is exercising ordinary care. There are many dangerous items, chemicals, objects and machines that can cause injury or death if handled negligently, that do not require training or licenses, including skis, poles, and riding lifts, and in this case, an open carried handgun in New Mexico. Even if you had training (required or not) and behaved negligently you would still bear liability, correct?
Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

I see, so in MooseSpeak, when you openly question the firearm training of actors with:
”Mister Moose” wrote: Why isn't it standard protocol for every actor who will fire a prop gun be personally responsible, to be trained to inspect firearms, be trained in the dangers associated with blanks, and be required to personally check each gun he is given to shoot, each time, each scene?
it actually has nothing to do with training and translates to "Did Alec Baldwin exercise ordinary care when handling the firearm?"

My bad.