AOC starts making sense

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

AOC starts making sense

Post by Mister Moose »

Yesterday AOC tweeted out:

"There is no reason members of Congress should hold and trade individual stock when we write major policy and have access to sensitive information.
There are many ways members can invest w/o creating actual or appeared conflict of interest, like thrift savings plans or index funds"

I hope she starts a firestorm on this and other congressional abuses of the office. Or she'll get bought off.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Re: AOC starts making sense

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Agree with this. It’s way overdue that this gets nipped in the bud.
Heywood jablowmee
Black Carver

Post by Heywood jablowmee »

if ANY breathing human ever listens to this crackpot?...were ALL screwed....
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

Heywood jablowmee wrote: Dec 19th, '21, 11:14 if ANY breathing human ever listens to this crackpot?...were ALL screwed....
Just a reminder, a broken clock is right twice a day, and a blind squirrel can still find a nut.
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

Dickc wrote: Dec 19th, '21, 15:50
Heywood jablowmee wrote: Dec 19th, '21, 11:14 if ANY breathing human ever listens to this crackpot?...were ALL screwed....
Just a reminder, a broken clock is right twice a day, and a blind squirrel can still find a nut.
I feel like a broken record, but AOC is not dumb. Her ideas are far-left, yes, but they are, in general, serious policy ideas based on rational analysis. I personally think they're not good ideas and would not be good for America, but that's just my opinion and I could be wrong.

But look to the other side of the aisle - MTG has said insane things in the past like 9/11 is a hoax and Obama is a closet Muslim. But even if you exclude her as a fringe crazy, you've got a bunch of the Republican party *still* pushing nonsensical election fraud conspiracy theories with no basis in fact. By comparison to that nonsense, AOC looks like a model congresswoman.

As to Moose's hope, I suspect it's far more likely that she will be bought off than that she sparks any sort of reform. She makes a good news story because she's controversial and aesthetically pleasing, but she has almost no following and very little real power. Besides that, recent history is replete with politicians who decry fraud and corruption and then leave office having mysteriously far more money than when they entered it.
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

easyrider16 wrote: Dec 20th, '21, 14:10
Dickc wrote: Dec 19th, '21, 15:50
I feel like a broken record, but AOC is not dumb. Her ideas are far-left, yes, but they are, in general, serious policy ideas based on rational analysis. I personally think they're not good ideas and would not be good for America, but that's just my opinion and I could be wrong.

But look to the other side of the aisle - MTG has said insane things in the past like 9/11 is a hoax and Obama is a closet Muslim. But even if you exclude her as a fringe crazy, you've got a bunch of the Republican party *still* pushing nonsensical election fraud conspiracy theories with no basis in fact. By comparison to that nonsense, AOC looks like a model congresswoman.

As to Moose's hope, I suspect it's far more likely that she will be bought off than that she sparks any sort of reform. She makes a good news story because she's controversial and aesthetically pleasing, but she has almost no following and very little real power. Besides that, recent history is replete with politicians who decry fraud and corruption and then leave office having mysteriously far more money than when they entered it.
I was agreeing with Moose on this in that she is correct. She is on the wrong side of many other issues, hence my comment.
Heywood jablowmee
Black Carver

BatShitCrazy...coming to a dictionary near you...
Attachments
3stooges.jpg
3stooges.jpg (41.21 KiB) Viewed 514 times
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Oh I'm not criticizing your comment, Dick. Moreso the person you were quoting, as well as this attitude that AOC is some kind of batsh!t crazy person. The Republicans have far more batsh!t crazy in their ranks than the democrats do right now. AOC is an ingelligent person with differing opinions than most, which is something that should be valued in a democracy rather than shunned. Let her ideas compete with all others in the marketplace of ideas, and see which ones come out on top. The ad hominem attacks are what we should be shunning.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

I think that sh*t crazy fits AOC just fine.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Perhaps you should read more.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

easyrider16 wrote: Dec 20th, '21, 16:15 Perhaps you should read more.
Gotta be sh*t crazy to think that the Amazon warehouse was a bad idea for long island city.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

daytripper wrote: Dec 20th, '21, 16:18
Gotta be sh*t crazy to think that the Amazon warehouse was a bad idea for long island city.
Good example. There are winners and losers to any deal like this. Do a little reading on the subject and you'll find that plenty of people are quite happy that the Amazon HQ2 on Long Island won't be happening. For example, many residents were concerned that this would lead to rapidly rising rents that would price them out of their homes. There was also the idea that Amazon was going to get massive tax breaks from the government, and many think this sort of subsidization of big business isn't really fair. So, thinking the Amazon HQ2 on Long Island is a bad idea is not batsh!t crazy, it's just a particular perspective on a complex issue.

Batsh!t crazy is retweeting that Jewish space lasers caused wildfires. See the difference?
Heywood jablowmee
Black Carver

Ritalin will help here...FACT: shes nuckin futz....
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Remember when GE moving it's HQ to Boston was supposed to have this great business impact on the city?

Didn't really work out like that.

So, her being against tax breaks to a wealthy company to relocate to her district really isn't that off the wall.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

easyrider16 wrote: Dec 20th, '21, 16:34
daytripper wrote: Dec 20th, '21, 16:18
Good example. There are winners and losers to any deal like this. Do a little reading on the subject and you'll find that plenty of people are quite happy that the Amazon HQ2 on Long Island won't be happening. For example, many residents were concerned that this would lead to rapidly rising rents that would price them out of their homes. There was also the idea that Amazon was going to get massive tax breaks from the government, and many think this sort of subsidization of big business isn't really fair. So, thinking the Amazon HQ2 on Long Island is a bad idea is not batsh!t crazy, it's just a particular perspective on a complex issue.

Batsh!t crazy is retweeting that Jewish space lasers caused wildfires. See the difference?
I don't have to read up, I live here, there are not many locals happy about it.