Ukraine / Russia

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Re: Ukraine / Russia

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Biden, as recently as this morning, still seems pretty cock sure Russia will invade Ukraine. The whole thing is pretty remarkable and sad.

Still on my bucket list to read the Time article Bubba shared for better understanding.
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

it's possible that Putin's game is to officially recognize the breakaway eastern provinces of Ukraine. That could be a prelude to annexing those regions and doing so with little actual fighting. He hasn't done it thus far because he's afraid of incurring additional sanctions. He could potentially use troop drawdowns as a chip to exchange for getting what he wants and not incurring sanctions.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ru ... 022-02-15/

What's really sad about this whole thing is that Putin has successfully used propaganda to develop a significant population in the United States that appears sympathetic to his agenda, as evidenced by Tucker Carlson and his followers, and to some extent, Trump and his followers.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

easyrider16 wrote: Feb 17th, '22, 10:17What's really sad about this whole thing is that Putin has successfully used propaganda to develop a significant population in the United States that appears sympathetic to his agenda, as evidenced by Tucker Carlson and his followers, and to some extent, Trump and his followers.
Somewhat related, you should check out the Netflix movie Don't Look Up :lol:
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

It's increasingly looking like maybe I was wrong to think Putin wasn't serious about invading Ukraine. It seems a lot more likely now that Russia is poised to seize at least the Donbas area of Ukraine. I'm still hoping it's brinksmanship, but that's kinda looking like wishful thinking now.
Kyiv — Ukrainian forces and the pro-Russian separatists they're fighting in the country's east reported a second day of increased shelling on Friday. Western leaders say an escalation in the fighting in Ukraine's Donbas region — which has simmered for almost eight years — could be part of Russian efforts to create a pretext to invade.
On Thursday, U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken gave a stark assessment of the situation to the U.N. Security Council, saying Washington believed Russia was planning a full-scale attack on Ukraine. He echoed what President Joe Biden had said, that the U.S. believes Russia is trying to manufacture an excuse for war.

"We have reason to believe they are engaged in a false-flag operation to have an excuse to go in," Mr. Biden said.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/sh ... d=msedgntp
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Seems Putin is testing the waters. Pleased to see Germany shutting down the Nord Stream 2 so quickly, but it's likely not enough.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

You think gas prices are bad now, it's about to get much worse!
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

daytripper wrote: Feb 22nd, '22, 09:04 You think gas prices are bad now, it's about to get much worse!
The GOP is already pro-Russia - my guess is they may use the rise of gas prices to suggest the USA should not rebuke Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Feb 22nd, '22, 09:46
daytripper wrote: Feb 22nd, '22, 09:04 You think gas prices are bad now, it's about to get much worse!
The GOP is already pro-Russia - my guess is they may use the rise of gas prices to suggest the USA should not rebuke Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
I don't see that happening. They will just say how Biden is doing it all wrong and it's his fault that gas and oil prices are so high
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Source of this sh*t statement?

“Vladimir Putin doesn’t want me to be President. He doesn’t want me to be our nominee. If you’re wondering why — it’s because I’m the only person in this field who’s ever gone toe-to-toe with him.”

- Sleepy, Feb. 2020.

Hahahaha!
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

throbster wrote: Feb 22nd, '22, 12:43
Source of this sh*t statement?
My eyes and ears.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

throbster wrote: Feb 22nd, '22, 12:43 “Vladimir Putin doesn’t want me to be President. He doesn’t want me to be our nominee. If you’re wondering why — it’s because I’m the only person in this field who’s ever gone toe-to-toe with him.”

- Sleepy, Feb. 2020.
Given Putin's support of Trump in 2020, and Biden's tough stance on Ukraine being backed up by all of our allies, what about this statement seems inaccurate to you?
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Fancypants
Black Carver

Post by Fancypants »

easyrider16 wrote: Feb 22nd, '22, 15:53
throbster wrote: Feb 22nd, '22, 12:43 “Vladimir Putin doesn’t want me to be President. He doesn’t want me to be our nominee. If you’re wondering why — it’s because I’m the only person in this field who’s ever gone toe-to-toe with him.”

- Sleepy, Feb. 2020.
Given Putin's support of Trump in 2020, and Biden's tough stance on Ukraine being backed up by all of our allies, what about this statement seems inaccurate to you?
Putin's support of Trump in 2020? Biden's tough stance on Ukraine?? Seems pretty inaccurate to me.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Of course these facts seem inaccurate to you. You refuse to believe anything that contradicts your political perspective, even when Trump's own intelligence people report it.

But as to Biden, do you have any legitimate criticism of his handling of this crisis thus far? As much as I think Biden's presidency has been a failure up to this point, he seems to be saying and doing all the right things in response to this crisis. Biden's experience with Crimea during the Obama administration seems to be informing his decision-making, as he's had a much more cohesive and determined response. His cooperative approach with the international community seems to be paying off. I've been impressed with the galvanized response of the international community, and in particular how Germany has been so willing to ditch the Nord Stream 2 pipeline.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

easyrider16 wrote: Feb 23rd, '22, 06:00 Of course these facts seem inaccurate to you. You refuse to believe anything that contradicts your political perspective, even when Trump's own intelligence people report it.

But as to Biden, do you have any legitimate criticism of his handling of this crisis thus far? As much as I think Biden's presidency has been a failure up to this point, he seems to be saying and doing all the right things in response to this crisis. Biden's experience with Crimea during the Obama administration seems to be informing his decision-making, as he's had a much more cohesive and determined response. His cooperative approach with the international community seems to be paying off. I've been impressed with the galvanized response of the international community, and in particular how Germany has been so willing to ditch the Nord Stream 2 pipeline.
Biden's ineptitude emboldened Putin to invade Ukraine. Sending the floundering nincompoop KAMamla to Eastern Europe was the icing on the cake. She really needs to go before Joe has a stroke.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel