asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Re: Ukraine / Russia

Post by asher2789 »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: May 15th, '22, 20:19
asher2789 wrote: May 15th, '22, 18:54
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: May 11th, '22, 15:16
:?

So you think we should vote on the Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF) to .... declare war on Russia?
this isnt the "own" you think it is.

it is CONGRESS' job - not the executive branch's - to wage war. i dont recall congress having any kind of vote about declaring war in ukraine. or many of our other adventures around the world, particularly during the "war on terror" aka a blank check to wage war wherever the f*** "US [corporate] interests" feel like it, without the approval of congress.

i recall a lot of liberals were pissed as hell during george w bush's reign over this, yet excused it under obama and now biden. so f*** ridiculously hypocritical.
Not trying to “own” anyone. I’m asking throbster to clarify what he’s saying.
im not throbster but it appears hes saying that congress is the only authority that can legally authorize war, and he is correct. that doesnt change that fact that since 9/11 the executive branch has gone haywire in their quest for powers that are not rightfully theirs.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

asher2789 wrote: May 16th, '22, 09:42

So you think we should vote on the Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF) to .... declare war on Russia?

it is CONGRESS' job - not the executive branch's - to wage war. i dont recall congress having any kind of vote about declaring war in ukraine. or many of our other adventures around the world, particularly during the "war on terror" aka a blank check to wage war wherever the f*** "US [corporate] interests" feel like it, without the approval of congress.

i recall a lot of liberals were pissed as hell during george w bush's reign over this, yet excused it under obama and now biden. so f*** ridiculously hypocritical.
im not throbster but it appears hes saying that congress is the only authority that can legally authorize war, and he is correct. that doesnt change that fact that since 9/11 the executive branch has gone haywire in their quest for powers that are not rightfully theirs.
Understood and agreed. So is passing AUMF because he thinks we should declare war on Russia and, if not, then why proceed with AUMF?
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: May 16th, '22, 09:43
asher2789 wrote: May 16th, '22, 09:42

Understood and agreed. So is passing AUMF because he thinks we should declare war on Russia and, if not, then why proceed with AUMF?
i cant say what hes thinking, but holding a vote on AUMF forces politicians to be held accountable for their actions. IMO, the AUMF would fail, as it should.

there is NO REASON why the US should be involved in a war that 1) doesnt involve an ally we have a binding defense treaty with and 2) could lead to nuclear war and ending most life on earth. theres a reason why obama didnt engage putin when he first went after crimea in 2014.... because it is not in US interests to do so. when ukraine becomes our 51st state and starts paying taxes, then we can defend them as one of our own.
Fancypants
Black Carver

Post by Fancypants »

asher2789 wrote: May 16th, '22, 09:47
there is NO REASON why the US should be involved in a war that 1) doesn't involve an ally we have a binding defense treaty with and 2) could lead to nuclear war and ending most life on earth. there's a reason why Obama didn't engage Putin when he first went after Crimea in 2014.... because it is not in US interests to do so. when Ukraine becomes our 51st state and starts paying taxes, then we can defend them as one of our own.
Then why is Joe Biden sending billions in military aid to Ukraine? Another attempt to skim 10% for the "Big Guy" through the Biden family "La Costa Nostra" connections in country?

**Corrected punctuation, grammar and capitalization in the attached quote, content not altered only the reading experience....
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

um.. obama did engage. He first imposed sanctions. Then he sent aid to Ukraine and sent military advisors in to train Ukrainian troops. Ukraine's effectiveness right now is in part a direct result of Obama's engagement.

https://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/ ... sia-216160

Keeping Russia in check is in our interests. This war might result in Putin losing power. Putin is a psycho. It would be in our interests if he were deposed.

As for your arguments on Congressional approval, Congress has approved multiple weapons shipments to Ukraine. They are debating the latest proposal right now. What more can you ask for on that front?
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

Fancypants wrote: May 16th, '22, 20:59
asher2789 wrote: May 16th, '22, 09:47
there is NO REASON why the US should be involved in a war that 1) doesn't involve an ally we have a binding defense treaty with and 2) could lead to nuclear war and ending most life on earth. there's a reason why Obama didn't engage Putin when he first went after Crimea in 2014.... because it is not in US interests to do so. when Ukraine becomes our 51st state and starts paying taxes, then we can defend them as one of our own.
Then why is Joe Biden sending billions in military aid to Ukraine? Another attempt to skim 10% for the "Big Guy" through the Biden family "La Costa Nostra" connections in country?

**Corrected punctuation, grammar and capitalization in the attached quote, content not altered only the reading experience....
because the war in afghanistan ended ~9 months ago and the defense contractors need their bonuses. the US economy is a house of cards and if we're not in forever war the house of cards comes crashing down. and besides, much of that "aid" is really loans with strings attached. because again, our economy is a house of cards and does not function without imperialism and debt enslavement.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/pu ... 0234132e85
"We as Germany but also as the Western countries on this planet. And our interest is it must be proven that in the 21st century, a war of aggression must not be won."

He continued: "If Putin would be rewarded for that aggression, that might incentivize others in a few years in other places on the planet.

"If you look to the Indo-Pacific region, for instance, to do it again might be from our point of view a bad example, from their point of view a good example, that you can ignore the international rules-based order, that there are no consequences, and that you are rewarded when you go to war."
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

"This Is Not A War Of Two Armies, But A War Of Two Worldviews"

Victory Day Message From Zelensky

https://trend4news.net/victory-day-mess ... worldviews

This is why we, the rest of NATO and others support Ukraine.

Here's a video with translation and well worth watching for the 15 minutes it takes.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RussiaUkraineW ... ranslated/

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

Reports of a failed assassination attempt against Putin, and claims that he's going to be out of office by 2023. It cannot happen soon enough, IMHO.

I'm very curious to see what happens next for Russia. If we are lucky, a group of pro-democracy leaders will take over. More likely we'll see another dictator, or perhaps a military coup. If we're really unlucky, there could be some sort of civil war, which would be terrifying. But who knows? We could be on the verge of a fundamental shift in the world order. Whatever the next government is, it will probably have to take a more conciliatory tone with the West, and that could change a great deal.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

“Finland and Sweden joining NATO turns the Baltic Sea into a NATO lake, where the Russian navy will be operating on NATO terms,” said Rose Gottemoeller, NATO’s former deputy secretary general. "It will be surrounded by NATO countries on every side.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/a- ... b4562a1728

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

If you haven't seen this yet, take 3 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm3XEsIXJaI&t=273s

Who is this comedian?
His audience more mice than men
This Superman Ukrainian
I don't know
Great grandson of the Holocaust
An Eastern heart the West has lost
Nail or carry up his cross
I don't know
But he's got everyone thinkin'
Yeah, he's got all of us thinkin'
Can one man save the world?
In a thousand years
Will they say your name?
Or is this all in vain?
Will you take my hand?
Will you help me stand?
Still in the end
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Another Russian oil executive dies by suicide, this time falling from a hospital window. Are windows in Russia simply unsafe?

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/ch ... 022-09-01/

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Remember when the GOP fawned over Russia's military recruitment videos? Declaring the US military as 'woke' and the Russia military as 'masculine'?

throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Sep 28th, '22, 08:05 Remember when the GOP fawned over Russia's military recruitment videos? Declaring the US military as 'woke' and the Russia military as 'masculine'?

No.

However, I do know that wasting time on pronouns is something the military shouldn't do.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

That throbster, she sure does get agitated about people's preferred pronouns.