Disastrous Weekend for New Hampshire's Vail Properties

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

RustyK
Whipping Post

Disastrous Weekend for New Hampshire's Vail Properties

Post by RustyK »

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2022/02/ ... roperties/

Most of Northern New England saw a significant amount of snow on Thursday and Friday, but it also brought a bit of r*in and ice. Because of this, many ski resorts in New England had operational issues with their chairlifts. Shockingly, this included various Vail Resorts-owned mountains in New Hampshire. A detailed breakdown of what happened over the weekend is below.
Where is Happy Hour ?
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Re: Disastrous Weekend for New Hampshire's Vail Properties

Post by daytripper »

Headline is wrong, it should say disastrous season for NH Vail properties.
mogwai
Green Skidder

Post by mogwai »

I thought the idea of detachable lefts was to pull the chairs and let the lift run continually to avoid ice ups - but I guess that only happens at properly run hills??? I am pretty sure none of the new england resorts did this, this past weekend.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Why don't you go practice falling down, I'll be there in a minute!
BoozeTan
Guru Poster

Post by BoozeTan »

wasnt just NH. My friend went to Stratton on Friday only to find the same issues. one or two lifts running, everything total ice.
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

mogwai wrote: Feb 8th, '22, 10:11 I thought the idea of detachable lefts was to pull the chairs and let the lift run continually to avoid ice ups - but I guess that only happens at properly run hills??? I am pretty sure none of the new england resorts did this, this past weekend.
I always wonder about this, too. Like how come they don't put all the bubble chairs inside the shed when there's a storm coming? My guess is that it's not so easy to take those buggers on and off, and probably requires manpower that operators don't have right now. It'd be cool if someone with actual knowledge could weigh in, though.
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

easyrider16 wrote:
mogwai wrote: Feb 8th, '22, 10:11 I thought the idea of detachable lefts was to pull the chairs and let the lift run continually to avoid ice ups - but I guess that only happens at properly run hills??? I am pretty sure none of the new england resorts did this, this past weekend.
I always wonder about this, too. Like how come they don't put all the bubble chairs inside the shed when there's a storm coming? My guess is that it's not so easy to take those buggers on and off, and probably requires manpower that operators don't have right now. It'd be cool if someone with actual knowledge could weigh in, though.
No “actual knowledge” on my part. I’m just here to point out that Mt. Snow had all their bubble chairs off the lift the night of the MLK storm. Even with the chairs in the barn, they still didn’t get the lift running till noonish. Coincidentally another Vail resort?!?!?
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

even if the chairs are off, you still have to climb the icy ladder on each tower, tie off, beat the ice off each sheave train, try not to kill yourself on the way down and do it again. its clear that all mountains are short on staff to do this. Some way more than others...
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA - 31

Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

jimmywilson69 wrote: Feb 8th, '22, 13:09 even if the chairs are off, you still have to climb the icy ladder on each tower, tie off, beat the ice off each sheave train, try not to kill yourself on the way down and do it again. its clear that all mountains are short on staff to do this. Some way more than others...
Why don't they put a weather cover over the sheave assemblies?
ImageImageImageImage
Nikoli
Poster Child Poster

Post by Nikoli »

Stormchaser wrote: Feb 8th, '22, 13:36
jimmywilson69 wrote: Feb 8th, '22, 13:09 even if the chairs are off, you still have to climb the icy ladder on each tower, tie off, beat the ice off each sheave train, try not to kill yourself on the way down and do it again. its clear that all mountains are short on staff to do this. Some way more than others...
Good idea! We should patent, make and market these.
And the sea will grant each man new hope . . .
-Christopher Columbus
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Stormchaser wrote: Feb 8th, '22, 13:36
Or heat them
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

A weather cover is more realistic and I am surprised it has not been done. Heating not really - you would need to bring power to each tower and then how do you put a heating eliminate on a rotating wheel?
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

newpylong1 wrote: Feb 8th, '22, 15:49 A weather cover is more realistic and I am surprised it has not been done. Heating not really - you would need to bring power to each tower and then how do you put a heating eliminate on a rotating wheel?
I dunno... technology. Would you have believed we would have smart phones 25 years ago?

- Simon and Garfunkel
mogwai
Green Skidder

Post by mogwai »

Isn't the hall rope spinning creating enough friction / heat to keep from icing?

Why don't you go practice falling down, I'll be there in a minute!
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

If all the detachable chairs are stored away, then why is it that the fixed grip lifts always run before the detachable chairs on “inclement” weather days?

Fixed grip lifts have sheave trains too.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

mogwai wrote: Feb 8th, '22, 17:47 Isn't the hall rope spinning creating enough friction / heat to keep from icing?

If they ran the lift overnight while the storm is happening

- Simon and Garfunkel