Stupid Things Democrats Did Today

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Re: Stupid Things Democrats Did Today

Post by asher2789 »

cant wait for all the fundraising emails regarding abortion, meanwhile the american empire's military industrial complex marches on :roll:

we cant have universal healthcare, we cant have student loan cancellation, we cant have anything socially good for the working class because its too expensive. but the defense contractors? lets just keep spending billions to blow people up halfway across the world! theres endless money for that!
Heywood jablowmee
Black Carver

Post by Heywood jablowmee »

light dawns on Marblehead
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Biden see it as politically expedient AND he gets to spend money with reckless abandon. Win, win.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

throbster wrote: May 4th, '22, 19:11 Biden see it as politically expedient AND he gets to spend money with reckless abandon. Win, win.
all sides fellate the military industrial complex. when one forever war ends, another must begin. team red, team blue, same owner.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Forgiving student loans might be the stupidest democrat idea ever. Hopefully it goes nowhere.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: May 6th, '22, 09:46 Forgiving student loans might be the stupidest democrat idea ever. Hopefully it goes nowhere.
Why is that? It totally teaches kids the value of a dollar! It's not like today's younger generation feels entitled or anything.
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

We have people who never finished college stuck with student loans with a high school education. Some by their own choice, some by life happens circumstances like having to take care of younger siblings as their parents died type of life happens. BLANKET forgiveness is just plain wrong. Case by case forgiveness, I.e. Targeted forgiveness makes more sense. Did your loans go to a scam college? Did your loans go to a degree that you were told had a poor employment future? The first example should be forgiven, the second example should NOT. Yes, it means more bureaucracy (yuck), but its got to be looked at on a case by case basis.
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

I agree, Dickc. Some forgiveness in certain circumstances makes sense - for example there's already a loan forgiveness program for people who work in public interest areas as those areas tend to pay less than private sector jobs. But from a strictly economic perspective, the more money we throw at kids via Stafford loans, loan forgiveness, etc., the more it contributes to inflated tuition prices. The cost of college right now is completely outrageous, and has been increasing at far beyond inflation. I think at least part of the reason for that is government subsidies and loans that allow kids to pay these outrageous prices.

But on the other hand, I think we should make student loans dischargeable in bankruptcy. Banks should have to take a good hard look at students before they hand them hundreds of thousands of dollars to obtain a basket weaving degree. Some kids need to be told no when they're seeking funds for something they can likely never pay back. Banks and colleges are profiting as if this were a business, and they, not just the kids, should be held accountable.
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

As to college costs, my degree from Merrimack in No Andover, Mass cost about $2,100 a semester over 4 years for a total of close to $17,000 for 4 years (Graduated in 1984). ONE semester for my son at Northeastern ten years ago was $18,000, or more than my whole 4 years. Between him and my two daughters educations (Endicott College for both), I spent MEGABUCKS paying for it all. None of them has a cent of college debt. Son has a really good job paying more money than I ever made (he's a mechanical engineer). Daughters have either a business degree, or an accounting degree and both make good living wages. All three are homeowners too. The rise in college costs is CRIMINAL.

Edit to add most of my college costs were paid by GTE Sylvania through their tuition reimbursement program too. Very few corporations now have those programs
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

So government should loan money for unquestioned college pursuit at over priced colleges, and then when we have too many graduates inadequately prepared for the workforce openings, we should spend more money and forgive the debt.

Maybe we should fix the problem that caused the poor judgement onerous debt before we consider lowering said debt.
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

And you are kind of a moron now for not taking out a student loan, even if you don't need it. The government will pick up the tab.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Does everything Democrats do turn to sh*t? It sure seems that way.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/black- ... ther-child

- Simon and Garfunkel
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

throbster wrote: May 17th, '22, 10:47 Does everything Democrats do turn to sh*t? It sure seems that way.

I may have missed it, but there doesn't appear to be any active / former elected officials mentioned in the article.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: May 17th, '22, 12:19
throbster wrote: May 17th, '22, 10:47 Does everything Democrats do turn to sh*t? It sure seems that way.

I may have missed it, but there doesn't appear to be any active / former elected officials mentioned in the article.
Everyone of you wokesters probably supported BLM in one way or another. Including democrat mayors painting Black Lives Matter on their city streets. Grifters grifting.

- Simon and Garfunkel
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

throbster wrote: May 17th, '22, 13:28
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: May 17th, '22, 12:19

Everyone of you wokesters probably supported BLM in one way or another. Including democrat mayors painting Black Lives Matter on their city streets. Grifters grifting.
So you agree, there's no active / former elected officials in the article.