sunday 2/20 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

sunday 2/20 report

Post by skiadikt »

a fine day out there. cold but blue sky and no wind morning. between a couple inches of nat and the mtn's efforts, conditions have improved greatly since friday. did the gilligan 3 hr tour, reverse commute today. 3rd down OL at the bell. about an inch or two of new snow on a hard base. skied well. very impressive snowmaking display at bear as guns were firing ttb on wildfire, in the dreammaker park and lower burst. also a number on chute. upper wildfire had some velvety turns early. lower needed skiing in. assuming they bumped up later. mtn wide, everything skied pretty much the same. cascade & LEF were good as was upper downdraft. lower skied/blown off. middle o looks to have been groomed maybe yesterday but didn't call to me. neither did preston's. very few nats open.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
fdskier56
Blue Chatterbox

Re: sunday 2/20 report

Post by fdskier56 »

Today was much better than I expected.

Mt Ops has done a great job the last few days..

I saw more people using fast tracks today then my last 20 days combined …

Is this wknd an IKON blackout?
MT seemed empty today…atleast compared to that Saturday a few weeks ago when they were parked down to the lookout.

Most chairs were ski on at 1pm..
rower
Black Carver

Post by rower »

Base IKon blackout dates effective 2/19/2022 - 2/20/2022
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

fdskier56 wrote: Feb 20th, '22, 18:03
I saw more people using fast tracks today then my last 20 days combined …
yup noticed the same thing. not a lot - maybe 3 or 4 groups.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Out later AM to bluebird. Needles not bad if you had stiff boards. CC not too much ice.
Panic not as nice. Even with the reported 5”, the woods still not possible.

Off of Sup Ovation better than sup due to less traffic. No lower O.

Over at Bear, OL not as good as yesterday. Gun
S on Wildfire nice. Dreamaker even nicer.

Snowdon at 1:00 empty for about 30 min..lunch I guess. Herb factor of 9.2 today.
High line was in good shape.

Cascade good for a couple. We did the only un groomed open trail. West glade. Firm bumps with some pow. Meh.

Hard to believe that it was all trees one week ago. But you get what you get I guess.
Where is Happy Hour ?
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

it was a lovely surprise pow day early. put first tracks in the flat part of the stash woods, and in the snowshed woods... came out onto an untouched yodeler (?? i confuse the trail names there) which was probably closed but i didnt see any ropes as i entered above the trail.

i love that most people hate snowshed and avoid it like the plague, more pow for me especially on days where you need to stay low angle for the natural to be enjoyable. did a shot near bittersweet and that was too steep for today. the snow report said 6" which i was extremely skeptical of but it was indeed 4-6". enough to make it work!
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Report: Best day in a while, if nothing else. Disagree with Rusty re: North Ridge being only open nat / ungroomed trail though.

ROTD: Late Day Run from the "top" over to Bear and down Middle Dream Maker -> Lower Skyeburst. Very nice gun snow on Dream Maker and fun run down lower Skyeburst with the gun snow and newly formed moguls.

Good Eastern Technical Skiing: North Star and Lower Stitchline. NS was quite a challenge. Stitchline was actually pretty good. Also, Vagabond was open, groomed, and in good shape.

Cascade skiable. Same with OL. East Fall very fast late in the day.

Pipe Dream skiers right also OK with mostly nat moguls, decent coverage and sorta fun. Another GETS run !

Wildfire OK with upper section pretty nice.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Sunday we found ourselves at Ramshead looking to check out some low angle trees - which were pretty fun. The line at Ramshead was abysmal. In the 32 minutes we waited in ONE singles line I noted the following:

1.) 19 ski school groups skipping the lines and moving to the front
2.) 42 Fast Tracks users skipping the lines and moving to the front
3.) 19 EMPTY chairs going up the line
4.) 22 doubles going up the line
5.) 13 triples going up the line

KILLINGTON - YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH SKILLED STAFF ON HAND TO MANAGE ALL THIS sh*t. THERE ARE TOO MANY LINE SKIPPERS JAMMING UP THE WORKS, AND YOUR STAFF CAN'T HANDLE IT. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, END FAST TRACKS NOW. PLEASE.
ImageImageImageImage