Joe Biden and the Political Left Were Correct.......

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Fancypants
Black Carver

Joe Biden and the Political Left Were Correct.......

Post by Fancypants »

Global warming/climate change are the greatest threat to our National Security......just not in the way it's being portrayed by the Democrats/Progressive Left.

Kowtowing to the demands of the Enviro-Carbon crowd has done immense damage to our National Security while at the same time, the great expense and sacrifice that has been put towards the "green" effort has stymied economic growth/national security(via energy independence) and has yet to show any impactful results at improving the climate.
throbster
Postaholic

Re: Joe Biden and the Political Left Were Correct.......

Post by throbster »

Agreed. Show us a plan to replace fossil fuels. Right now we get about 18% of our energy from renewables. How do we get to 100% geniuses?

China has a.monopoly on the rare earth elements needed for EVs. How is depending on China a good idea?

Also, what do you do with the spent 1000 lb batteries?

Until we address these important issues, drill baby drill!
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Hey admins - you combine other threads!?!?!?
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

The number of technological achievements in the last two centuries that were made despite people claiming they were impractical is higher than your combined IQs. Not saying much, I know, but the notion that renewables and nuclear couldn't replace oil is about on par with saying mankind was not meant to fly or could never land on the moon.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

easyrider16 wrote: Mar 13th, '22, 14:16 The number of technological achievements in the last two centuries that were made despite people claiming they were impractical is higher than your combined IQs. Not saying much, I know, but the notion that renewables and nuclear couldn't replace oil is about on par with saying mankind was not meant to fly or could never land on the moon.
I agree that one day renewables will replace fossil fuels but I don't see us being there for another 20 years or so. There are still plenty of issues with renewables that need to be worked out. We should definitely be working towards them but we are not at a place where we can just drop fossil fuels right now.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Renewables alone may never be able to replace fossil fuels, which is why I said renewables and nuclear. While there certainly are issues to be worked out, if we let petty partisan politics stop us from working on them, the transition will just take longer. There are some countries that are way ahead of us already in this area, like Norway and Germany.

Just think about the number of wars that have been fought because of oil, and the list of rogue countries like Iran and Russia that derive strategic power from selling oil. Imagine how much strategic value there would be in replacing oil as an energy source. In that context, focusing on increasing oil production instead of transitioning to alternative sources seems incredibly foolish.

Extremists on the left aren't helping by pushing of doom and gloom scenarios and harsh measures. But neither are Republicans who seem to see the issue in purely political terms and are not considering the long term geopolitical and economic advantages of transitioning from fossil fuels even if you leave out the environmental concerns. The way forward is pretty obvious, but both sides are acting stupid about it, as usual.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

easyrider16 wrote: Mar 13th, '22, 19:49 Renewables alone may never be able to replace fossil fuels, which is why I said renewables and nuclear. While there certainly are issues to be worked out, if we let petty partisan politics stop us from working on them, the transition will just take longer. There are some countries that are way ahead of us already in this area, like Norway and Germany.

Just think about the number of wars that have been fought because of oil, and the list of rogue countries like Iran and Russia that derive strategic power from selling oil. Imagine how much strategic value there would be in replacing oil as an energy source. In that context, focusing on increasing oil production instead of transitioning to alternative sources seems incredibly foolish.

Extremists on the left aren't helping by pushing of doom and gloom scenarios and harsh measures. But neither are Republicans who seem to see the issue in purely political terms and are not considering the long term geopolitical and economic advantages of transitioning from fossil fuels even if you leave out the environmental concerns. The way forward is pretty obvious, but both sides are acting stupid about it, as usual.
Attachments
cartoon-031122.jpg
cartoon-031122.jpg (72.86 KiB) Viewed 857 times

- Simon and Garfunkel
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Yeah I saw that comic earlier when you posted it to the humor thread. It's based on a faulty premise. First off, under Biden, U.S. oil production has actually been increasing. Biden also released oil from the strategic reserve. So this notion that Biden has somehow pinched off US oil production is pretty disingenuous. I would also note, as an aside, Iran and Venezuela are part of OPEC, so I'm not sure why they are depicted separately in the comic.

In short, I think either the author of this comic is ignorant, or he's appealing to an ignorant audience.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

You can tell yourself anything you want, but Sleepy closed Keystone and okay'd Nord Stream. f*** idiot!!! FJB.

- Simon and Garfunkel
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

throbster wrote: Mar 14th, '22, 10:07 You can tell yourself anything you want, but Sleepy closed Keystone and okay'd Nord Stream. f*** idiot!!! FJB.
We have discussed these things here over and over again but you seem incapable of grasping the concepts involved. Keystone was a transport mechanism and would have done nothing to increase supply. Nord Stream has nothing to do with US oil production since it's a pipeline from Germany to Russia. Most of the Nord Stream pipeline was built during the Trump administration and he couldn't stop it. In any event, it's moot, because Germany cancelled the project after Trump's buddy Putin went nutty in Ukraine. Meanwhile, as I stated, U.S. oil production has not decreased under Biden, but in fact has increased.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

If US oil production increased, it's no thanks to Sleepy.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1638293730775.jpg
FB_IMG_1638293730775.jpg (32.45 KiB) Viewed 831 times

- Simon and Garfunkel
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

throbster wrote: Mar 14th, '22, 10:20 If US oil production increased, it's no thanks to Sleepy.
That's what I've been saying all along. U.S. presidents have very little impact on U.S. oil production. I'm glad we can agree, here.

As to your energy independence comic, again it is based on a faulty premise. We were dependent on oil for Trump's entire term in office. Being a net exporter does not make us energy independent. If OPEC decided to cut production, prices would skyrocket regardless of whether we were a net exporter of oil. Again, you just don't seem to understand the concepts involved here.
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

easyrider16 wrote: Mar 14th, '22, 10:26
throbster wrote: Mar 14th, '22, 10:20 If US oil production increased, it's no thanks to Sleepy.
That's what I've been saying all along. U.S. presidents have very little impact on U.S. oil production. I'm glad we can agree, here.

As to your energy independence comic, again it is based on a faulty premise. We were dependent on oil for Trump's entire term in office. Being a net exporter does not make us energy independent. If OPEC decided to cut production, prices would skyrocket regardless of whether we were a net exporter of oil. Again, you just don't seem to understand the concepts involved here.
not understanding the concept of oil being a globally traded commodity in which the price is decided on by the OPEC cartel seems to be the prerequisite to holding shitty incorrect opinions on politics and jonesing for "strong man" "only i can fix it" trump.

one has to be willfully ignorant to fall for such stupidity. one also has to be willfully ignorant and extremely gullible to think the democrats will do anything they campaign on, but thats a separate discussion.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

asher2789 wrote: Mar 14th, '22, 10:52

not understanding the concept of oil being a globally traded commodity in which the price is decided on by the OPEC cartel seems to be the prerequisite to holding shitty incorrect opinions on politics and jonesing for "strong man" "only i can fix it" trump.

one has to be willfully ignorant to fall for such stupidity. one also has to be willfully ignorant and extremely gullible to think the democrats will do anything they campaign on, but thats a separate discussion.
This statement makes you just as ignorant as those you're arguing with. The price is set based on supply and demand around the world. OPEC is as much in control of world oil prices as are US producers. Our producers could just as easily cut production to raise the world price.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

Bubba wrote: Mar 14th, '22, 15:52
asher2789 wrote: Mar 14th, '22, 10:52

This statement makes you just as ignorant as those you're arguing with. The price is set based on supply and demand around the world. OPEC is as much in control of world oil prices as are US producers. Our producers could just as easily cut production to raise the world price.
OPEC is the largest supplier on the market - almost 80% in 2018 - and heavily influences the price. if their largest members dont like the current US president, they can just cut supply if they feel like it, raise the prices as a result, and the american public punishes the president. this has been geopolitics since the 1970s. and that ignores the whole petrodollars aspect of it... just wait until countries tired of US hegemony start accepting oil trade in other currencies... looking at saudi arabia. too big to overthrow!