Ron DeSantis moves to terminate Disney's self-government status

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: Ron DeSantis moves to terminate Disney's self-government status

Post by easyrider16 »

Since when is Scaramucci a liberal? Are you a conservative? You don't seem to think like one. I can't imagine why any conservative would think DeSantis' position towards Disney here is a good idea.
Fancypants
Black Carver

Post by Fancypants »

easyrider16 wrote: Apr 22nd, '22, 06:41 Since when is Scaramucci a liberal? Are you a conservative? You don't seem to think like one. I can't imagine why any conservative would think DeSantis' position towards Disney here is a good idea.
The "mooch" is not liberal nor conservative just a tool box.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Fancypants wrote: Apr 23rd, '22, 20:44 The "mooch" is not liberal nor conservative just a tool box.
That's true, which is probably why Trump appointed him to be the White House Communications director for about five minutes. Just another shining example of Trump choosing only the best for his administration.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Florida’s Contractual Obligations to Bond Holders Block Repeal of Disney’s Special Taxing District, Says Reedy Creek in New Statement
https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/fl ... statement/
Last week, this reporter wrote a deep-dive analysis of the repeal of RCID for Mediaite, including the looming consequences thereof, not just for Disney but for the Central Florida economy as a whole. Specifically, the elimination of RCID as a legal entity does not eliminate the district’s $2 billion bond debt and would instead transfer that to Orange and Osceola Counties.

Florida law prohibits counties from treating taxpayers differently by charging different tax rates unless there is a special taxing district specifically authorizing such differential treatment, so Orange and Osceola would have to spread that debt payment across all of their taxpayers. Orange County Tax Collector Scott Randolph estimated that this would raise taxes in his county between $2,200 and $2,800 per family of four.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Wait, so the taxpayers are now on the hook for $2 billion in Disney's debt? What if Disney decides to shut down their park in FL and move to Texas? Seriously, today's Republican party is full of morons.

In any case, it sounds like if Disney wants to stay in Florida they have some pretty good legal challenges to this nonsense. If not, well I bet they can build a pretty sweet park for $2 billion in Texas.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

It was a political stunt thrown together in 48 hours. Did you expect them to think it through? I hope this nonsense blows up in their face.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Apr 20th, '22, 12:09
throbster wrote: Apr 20th, '22, 10:38
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Apr 20th, '22, 09:05
throbster wrote: Apr 20th, '22, 08:49
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Apr 20th, '22, 08:45

Yes. Resident taxes will probably increase significantly as the State/County will need to provide road maintenance, medical, fire, police, etc. for Disney.
Don't you libs usually cry about "corporate welfare"?
Not a liberal, but have no issues with eliminating Corporate Welfare. This is not eliminating Corporate Welfare ... it's an attempt to punitively damage a private company because it didn't agree with the Governor.
throbster wrote: Apr 20th, '22, 08:49Disney is being led by woke fools. Their bottom line is going to take a big hit as the majority of Americans side with Densantis.
I don't know if they are or not, but why would it matter to the Governor? Aren't private businesses permitted to chose who they do / do not want to lead their organization?

I think you're wrong about this hitting Disney's wallet. We should place a wager. If Disney's park revenue increases in 2022, you keep Biden's presidential portrait (unmodified) as your avatar for the entirety of 2023. I will do the same, but with Trump, if park revenue decreases in 2022. Agree?
I'll take that wager.

https://tampa.cbslocal.com/2022/04/19/t ... s-mount-1/
Thanks for accepting the wager.

For what it's worth, my most outspoken MAGA buddy is at Disney right now. He and I spoke at length about some of the stuff happening at Disney and what DeSantis is doing ... at the end of the day ... taking his daughters to Disney was more important than some of the stuff being talked about. I suspect that's the same situation for many other guests.

Disney Parks, Experiences and Products segment revenue for Q1/2022 was $7.2B, compared to $3.5B in the prior-year (Q1/2021).
Disney Parks, Experiences and Products segment revenue for Q2/2022 was $6.7B, compared to $3.2B in the prior-year (Q2/2021).

Disney Parks, Experiences and Products would need a catastrophic loss at this point to see a loss in revenue compared to prior year.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Ironically, Republicans now want to do the right thing for the wrong reasons thanks to this Disney business. Senator Hawley proposed a bill to limit copyright to 56 years (from 95-120 years).
“Thanks to special copyright protections from Congress, woke corporations like Disney have earned billions while increasingly pandering to woke activists,” Hawley said in a statement. “It’s time to take away Disney’s special privileges and open up a new era of creativity and innovation.”
Copyright is way, way too long. It started out as 14 years. Then big business got involved and it kept getting extended to protect corporate intellectual property. But Copyright is supposed to work like a patent - you get your exclusive right to sell for X years before the material enters the public domain.

Tell you what, though, it's going to kill Disney's stock price if this passes. It probably won't pass, though. But it's another example of the pro-business party not being pro-business anymore, because this impacts a lot of businesses besides Disney.

Source: https://www.8newsnow.com/news/national- ... tion%20Act.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

easyrider16 wrote: May 16th, '22, 12:36 Ironically, Republicans now want to do the right thing for the wrong reasons thanks to this Disney business. Senator Hawley proposed a bill to limit copyright to 56 years (from 95-120 years).
“Thanks to special copyright protections from Congress, woke corporations like Disney have earned billions while increasingly pandering to woke activists,” Hawley said in a statement. “It’s time to take away Disney’s special privileges and open up a new era of creativity and innovation.”
Copyright is way, way too long. It started out as 14 years. Then big business got involved and it kept getting extended to protect corporate intellectual property. But Copyright is supposed to work like a patent - you get your exclusive right to sell for X years before the material enters the public domain.

Tell you what, though, it's going to kill Disney's stock price if this passes. It probably won't pass, though. But it's another example of the pro-business party not being pro-business anymore, because this impacts a lot of businesses besides Disney.

Here I was thinking leftist were against corporate welfare.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

easyrider16 wrote: May 16th, '22, 12:36 Ironically, Republicans now want to do the right thing for the wrong reasons thanks to this Disney business. Senator Hawley proposed a bill to limit copyright to 56 years (from 95-120 years).

Here I was thinking leftist were against corporate welfare.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

I tell you what, it's great advertising for Disney. They couldn't buy the amount of goodwill this persecution will earn them among the younger generations that are their target audience.
Fancypants
Black Carver

Post by Fancypants »

easyrider16 wrote: May 16th, '22, 17:23 I tell you what, it's great advertising for Disney. They couldn't buy the amount of goodwill this persecution will earn them among the younger generations that are their target audience.
The younger generation/target audience isn't paying the bills so I'm finding it hard to see as great advertising. Did you mean propaganda to infiltrate and pollute the minds of our children?
Last edited by Fancypants on May 16th, '22, 21:56, edited 3 times in total.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Nope. I mean millenials.
Fancypants
Black Carver

Post by Fancypants »

easyrider16 wrote: May 16th, '22, 21:16 Nope. I mean millennials.
????

**Corrected some spelling, content was not altered.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Have you not heard of them? Generation born between 1980 and 2000? They are the prime market for a company like disney, as they are between 20 and 40 and have young kids. They are also, by and large, far more liberal and far more likely to care about a corporation's stance on political issues than previous generations.

It seems to me that those who believe the political stance of a company like Disney is the result of some ideological reason are pretty naive. Companies like Disney are taking these stances because it's what they think will impress their most important patrons. Another example is Nike with Kaepernick.
Last edited by easyrider16 on May 17th, '22, 06:47, edited 1 time in total.