Ron DeSantis moves to terminate Disney's self-government status

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

I think this is DeSantis just doing performative art, but if it's not, I predict this will not go well for him. The impact to the area and increased costs to the residents will be significant. This is the new GOP.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/rest ... ent-status
APRIL 19, 2022 12:45 PM

In escalating his bitter feud with Disney, Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis is asking the state legislature to reconsider the Walt Disney World resort's de facto self-government status.

During its upcoming special session, the GOP-controlled legislature will mull an end to special districts, including Disney 's Reedy Creek Improvement District, DeSantis announced Tuesday.

"I am announcing today that we are expanding the call of what they are going to be considering," DeSantis said during a press conference . "Yes, they will be considering the congressional map, but they also will be considering termination of all special districts that were enacted in Florida prior to 1968, and that includes the Reedy Creek Improvement District."

Under the current arrangement, the RCID is run by the landowners in the district — predominantly Disney. The RCID levies its taxes, oversees its zoning, develops its infrastructure, writes building codes, oversees policing, provides fire protection, manages water services, and maintains other basic local government functions. This reduces the tax burden on residents in the local Orange and Osceola counties.

Disney's relationship with the governor has grown tense, as the two have been trading blows over the Parental Rights in Education Act in recent weeks. To the chagrin of the governor, Disney publicly denounced the law, accusing it of damaging the well-being of gay students and supporting its repeal. The law restricts classroom discussion about sexual orientation and gender identity from kindergarten through third grade.

DeSantis mused about stripping the company's de facto self-governing power earlier this month after state Rep. Spencer Roach tweeted that state Republicans had been considering its repeal. DeSantis has also previously expressed skepticism over the RCID.

"What I would say as a matter of principle is I don’t support special privileges in law just because a company is powerful and they’ve been able to wield a lot of power," DeSantis said last month .

Roach and other Republicans have expressed support for the move, contending Disney has been given a different set of rules than other businesses.

"Yep, you heard it here first. Proud that we are taking action to correct this aberration to the free market. The government should never use the power of the state to pick winners & losers in the marketplace. No more corporate welfare," Roach tweeted Tuesday.

Reconsidering the RCID's status during the legislative session has drawn opposition from some Democrats who expressed concerns that the move is politically motivated.

“There’s no legal reason to challenge Reedy Creek Improvement District," Dick Batchelor, a former state House member, said, per Spectrum News . "There is only a political reason and not a very good one — to say to Disney, 'While you oppose me on a public policy, I will now try to be punitive and punish you.'"

Florida's legislature will be in special session from noon Tuesday until Friday to redraw a new congressional map following months of intraparty squabbling and stalemates on the matter.

The Washington Examiner reached out to a spokesperson for Disney and the RCID but did not receive a response.

In addition to reevaluating the RCID, DeSantis also announced the legislature would look to remove exemptions for theme parks in the Big Tech Accountability Law, which is currently being blocked in court, in its session. The law requires tech companies to be transparent about their content moderation policies and grants Floridians the right to sue.
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: Ron DeSantis moves to terminate Disney's self-government status

Post by easyrider16 »

So obviously this is supposed to punish Disney. But if I understand this correctly, many of these functions that Disney is currently performing and paying for on its own will have to be undertaken by the local government, yes? How does this hurt Disney, exactly?
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

easyrider16 wrote: Apr 20th, '22, 08:40 So obviously this is supposed to punish Disney. But if I understand this correctly, many of these functions that Disney is currently performing and paying for on its own will have to be undertaken by the local government, yes? How does this hurt Disney, exactly?
Yes. Resident taxes will probably increase significantly as the State/County will need to provide road maintenance, medical, fire, police, etc. for Disney.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Apr 20th, '22, 08:45
easyrider16 wrote: Apr 20th, '22, 08:40 So obviously this is supposed to punish Disney. But if I understand this correctly, many of these functions that Disney is currently performing and paying for on its own will have to be undertaken by the local government, yes? How does this hurt Disney, exactly?
Yes. Resident taxes will probably increase significantly as the State/County will need to provide road maintenance, medical, fire, police, etc. for Disney.
Don't you libs usually cry about "corporate welfare"?

Disney is being led by woke fools. Their bottom line is going to take a big hit as the majority of Americans side with Densantis.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

throbster wrote: Apr 20th, '22, 08:49
Not a liberal, but have no issues with eliminating Corporate Welfare. This is not eliminating Corporate Welfare ... it's an attempt to punitively damage a private company because it didn't agree with the Governor.
throbster wrote: Apr 20th, '22, 08:49Disney is being led by woke fools. Their bottom line is going to take a big hit as the majority of Americans side with Densantis.
I don't know if they are or not, but why would it matter to the Governor? Aren't private businesses permitted to chose who they do / do not want to lead their organization?

I think you're wrong about this hitting Disney's wallet. We should place a wager. If Disney's park revenue increases in 2022, you keep Biden's presidential portrait (unmodified) as your avatar for the entirety of 2023. I will do the same, but with Trump, if park revenue decreases in 2022. Agree?
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Wouldn't this be the opposite of corporate welfare? Disney is paying for things that are normally paid for by government. Disney might like it this way because it gives them some autonomy and efficiency of not having to deal with local government. But from what I can tell, the government isn't giving Disney any money. So how can this be corporate welfare?

If Disney's bottom line takes a hit, I doubt it will have anything to do with being "woke." I would argue, in point of fact, Disney being "woke" is the product of the corporation doing what it believes its patrons want it to do. I see this a lot with business owners lately - millenials and younger generations care about social issues and will patronize or refuse to patronize businesses based on their stances on these issues.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

easyrider16 wrote: Apr 20th, '22, 09:41If Disney's bottom line takes a hit, I doubt it will have anything to do with being "woke." I would argue, in point of fact, Disney being "woke" is the product of the corporation doing what it believes its patrons want it to do. I see this a lot with business owners lately - millenials and younger generations care about social issues and will patronize or refuse to patronize businesses based on their stances on these issues.
Some thoughts ...

- Orange and Osceola would be hit hardest, but both went ~60% Biden in 2020 so my guess is DeSantis won't have any issues with this.

- These counties will suddenly be responsible for maintaining/supervising the 40+ square miles manager by Disney. Since Orange and Osceola won't have much income, at least initially to provide support to the Disney area. Disney would see the speed of any new construction slow to a halt (along with zoning, permits, etc.).
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Apr 20th, '22, 09:05
Not a liberal, but have no issues with eliminating Corporate Welfare. This is not eliminating Corporate Welfare ... it's an attempt to punitively damage a private company because it didn't agree with the Governor.
throbster wrote: Apr 20th, '22, 08:49Disney is being led by woke fools. Their bottom line is going to take a big hit as the majority of Americans side with Densantis.
I don't know if they are or not, but why would it matter to the Governor? Aren't private businesses permitted to chose who they do / do not want to lead their organization?

I think you're wrong about this hitting Disney's wallet. We should place a wager. If Disney's park revenue increases in 2022, you keep Biden's presidential portrait (unmodified) as your avatar for the entirety of 2023. I will do the same, but with Trump, if park revenue decreases in 2022. Agree?
I'll take that wager.

https://tampa.cbslocal.com/2022/04/19/t ... s-mount-1/

- Simon and Garfunkel
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

throbster wrote: Apr 20th, '22, 10:38

I'll take that wager.

Work on your reading comprehension throbster

XJ made you a bet that Disney Park Revenue will increase in 2022. And you come back with an article on stock prices and struggles within their media division; not park operations.

First fiscal quarter park revenue was way up you dolt

https://insidethemagic.net/2022/02/disn ... sults-kc1/

You might as well get it over with and put up your favorite Biden picture now
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

deadheadskier wrote: Apr 20th, '22, 10:56

I'll take that wager.

Work on your reading comprehension throbster

XJ made you a bet that Disney Park Revenue will increase in 2022. And you come back with an article on stock prices and struggles within their media division; not park operations.

First fiscal quarter park revenue was way up you dolt

https://insidethemagic.net/2022/02/disn ... sults-kc1/

You might as well get it over with and put up your favorite Biden picture now
I just skim the idiotic post you libtards make. You on the other hand, seem to spend hours in your little libtard echo chamber.

- Simon and Garfunkel
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

So now that you've been shown your stupidity are you going to welch on the bet?
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

I'll take that wager.

Thanks for accepting the wager.

For what it's worth, my most outspoken MAGA buddy is at Disney right now. He and I spoke at length about some of the stuff happening at Disney and what DeSantis is doing ... at the end of the day ... taking his daughters to Disney was more important than some of the stuff being talked about. I suspect that's the same situation for many other guests.

Disney Parks, Experiences and Products segment revenue for Q1/2022 was $7.2B, compared to $3.5B in the prior-year (Q1/2021).
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Saw a piece on CNBC where "the mooch" Anthony Scaramucci savagely criticized DeSantis for basically abandoning conservative Republican principles with this retaliation move. He echoed the sentiments from above, that Disney is currently paying for services that government would otherwise be paying for, and this is in line with typical conservative thinking on privatization and free enterprise. He also posits that if the legislature does try to remove Disney's special status here that Disney may be able to get it reversed in court, as there was an agreement here that Disney would get these privileges in return for locating their park in FL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVyNjppK2vg

This is what I keep telling my Trumpian friends. I am still a conservative. The Trump/DeSantis wing of the Republican party is not.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

:bull

- Simon and Garfunkel
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Yup