Ron DeSantis moves to terminate Disney's self-government status

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Bubba
Site Admin

Re: Ron DeSantis moves to terminate Disney's self-government status

Post by Bubba »

deadheadskier wrote: Apr 7th, '23, 09:56 Makes me wonder if DeSantis really doesn't have Whitehouse ambitions. There's nothing "conservative" of what he's doing with Disney. It will hurt him nationally.

What a prick
Republicans are against raising taxes. Let ‘em explain this one.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Barry Goldwater: “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice”.

Ron DeSantis: “Raising taxes in opposition to wokism is no vice”.

Doesn’t seem to have the same ring to it. :lol:

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Bubba wrote: Apr 7th, '23, 10:11 Barry Goldwater: “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice”.

Rhonda Santis: “Raising taxes in opposition to wokism is no vice”.

Doesn’t seem to have the same ring to it. :lol:
Fixed it for you...
ImageImageImageImage
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

He keeps trying ... it's a really awkward obsession and will probably aid in destroying his POTUS goals as Disney remains highly popular.

DeSantis, in Latest Volley Against Disney, Suggests Punitive Steps
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/17/busi ... orida.html?
In what has taken on the trappings of a grudge match, Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida punched Disney anew on Monday, announcing new legislation that would override the company’s recent effort to sidestep state oversight of its theme parks.

Mr. DeSantis also suggested a variety of potential punitive actions against Disney — the state’s largest private employer and corporate taxpayer — including reappraising the value of Walt Disney World for property tax levies and developing land near the entrances to the resort.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

I don't see a policy reason for this vendetta. I think it's pride. DeSantis sees this as a personal affront. That demonstrates unfitness for high office, IMHO.
Low Rider
Black Carver

Post by Low Rider »

easyrider16 wrote: Apr 18th, '23, 14:34 I don't see a policy reason for this vendetta. I think it's pride. DeSantis sees this as a personal affront. That demonstrates unfitness for high office, IMHO.
Pride - and somehow riling up the MAGA base because you know - Disney is Woke.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

easyrider16 wrote: Apr 18th, '23, 14:34 I don't see a policy reason for this vendetta. I think it's pride. DeSantis sees this as a personal affront. That demonstrates unfitness for high office, IMHO.
Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

In a rather hilarious turn of events, Trump sides with Disney:
“Disney’s next move will be the announcement that no more money will be invested in Florida because of the Governor,” Mr. Trump wrote on Truth Social. “In fact, they could even announce a slow withdrawal or sale of certain properties, or the whole thing. Watch! That would be a killer. In the meantime, this is all so unnecessary, a political STUNT!”
https://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-tru ... 2#cxrecs_s
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

I don't know if it's pride or vengeance. I think he's setting himself up as a candidate for President by trying to excite the Republican base with his "anti-woke" agenda and, in order to keep that issue going for him, he needs to keep the issue (is this really an issue?) on the front burner for all to see. Not following up after Disney worked around him would be tantamount to surrender and he's not about to do that. Even if he goes to court and loses, he can blame his loss on the judicial system which (as all good MAGAts know) is rigged against them.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

ImageImageImageImage
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Getting worse for DeSantis

Disney sues Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, alleges political effort to hurt its business

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2023/04/26/dis ... iness.html
Walt Disney Co. sued Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis on Wednesday, alleging the Republican governor has waged a "relentless campaign to weaponize government power" against the company amid a protracted fight over a controversial classroom bill.

The federal lawsuit alleges that DeSantis "orchestrated at every step" a campaign to punish Disney that now threatens the company's business.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Why DeSantis should lose the Disney lawsuit.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/30/opin ... ticleShare

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald

easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Bubba wrote: Apr 30th, '23, 21:32 Why DeSantis should lose the Disney lawsuit.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/30/opin ... ticleShare
If a judge looks at this from an unbiased perspective, I think it's pretty clear that DeSantis' actions toward Disney were in retaliation for Disney's political speech. But DeSantis' side is likely to argue that they had good reasons besides Disney's speech to take these actions, and if it did, its actions were not unconstitutional restrictions on Disney's free speech. Thus, I don't think it's as cut and dried as this article makes it out to be, especially as DeSantis kind of gave mixed reasons for his actions, suggesting that a business like Disney shouldn't enjoy the special status that it has when no other business in FL does.

But I do agree with the premise that Disney should win this lawsuit, and it is downright unamerican and antithetical to free speech for a politician to be able to use the resources of government to attack a private company for that company's political speech.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

.. and lets pour some gas on the fire ...

Florida oversight board votes to sue Disney as part of the company’s ongoing fight with Ron DeSantis
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-e ... -rcna82232
The local governing board that oversees much of Walt Disney World voted Monday to sue the company as part of an ongoing political feud fueled by Gov. Ron DeSantis.

The five-person Central Florida Tourism Oversight Board voted unanimously to sue Disney in state court less than a week after the company filed its own lawsuit against both DeSantis and the board, among a handful of other officials.