Mountain Green Sales?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Re: Mountain Green Sales?

Post by KingsFourMan »

Mister Moose wrote: Apr 3rd, '24, 13:23 In some respects, I feel like we are becoming our grandparents or parents that groaned about how gas was 25 cents a gallon when they were going on dates in high school. Everything has gone up. A lot. There's still post COVID shortages in some materials.

That huge porch is a big item. So is the dual opening fireplace. And the retaining walls. Have you thought about renting an excavator and saving most of the 30k for utilities? You can downsize the dream, but still attain it.

Yes, the house I posted is very basic. But it illustrates where the starting point is. And there's only 2 houses currently that come up (in Rutland) using the 'new construction' qualifier.

In the end, I don't think I would build my 'dream home' in VT either. I might build something, but it would be far smaller/less view/short driveway so the taxes wouldn't cause me gastric distress. It's unfortunate that the tax structure imposes those decisions, but there we are.

What, no garage? How can you have a dream home with no multi bay, beer fridge, tool chest, car lift, big stereo garage?
The inflation over the past 3-4 years has been a killer. The VT tax increases are just the icing on the cake. At $550K, which is what it would have cost 4 years ago to build, I would be all in. At a million plus, the opportunity cost is just way too high.

And I wouldn't exactly say that it is our dream home, the dream home would be quite a bit different. We just wanted a house big enough to hold our 3 kids and their families once in a while and entertain some other family and friends every now and then. We also wanted it to be big enough in case we decided to bail on NJ in retirement and spend a large part of the year in VT. I could never live in VT full time, but I could spend a significant amount of the year there, my wife not so much. But she does agree that it needs to be big enough to have that option if needed.

And the garage was the first "value engineering" item to go. There was an attached 3 car garage originally with a future garage apartment above it but it got the axe for cost reasons as the house size crept up. To be honest, I had my eye on the toy barn below instead to be built at a later date further down the driveway anyway. I love barns, even more than I do garages, and I'm a huge garage guy.

To answer Ozzy's "what now question", I'm not sure but we still have 3-5 years to figure it out before retirement. I'm leaning heavily towards a condo in CO to spend Jan, Feb, and Mar and a couple of weeks in the summer. If we sell the VT property, I will build that house on it and then sell it but we really don't want to sell, I have 21 years of sweat equity on it cutting and clearing and building a small barn and we have a lot of happy memories there and have made some close friends with many of our neighbors over the years. We may build a very basic small "cabin" on it but that is hard to do because the home site has really great views and you would destroy it with a cabin. The view warrants a much nicer home. But, maybe build it somewhere else on the property where it could be a guest cabin someday but there are zoning issues with that. We wight build the barn below and create and apartment space up top or might just leave the property as is, not build anything and just leave it to the kids someday. We really don't know right now but we have time. We had originally planned to start construction next summer at the earliest and the following summer (2026) at the latest.
Attachments
Barn.png
Barn.png (2.2 MiB) Viewed 887 times
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
Dude GFY
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Dude GFY »

I need this. That barn is beautiful.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

Bubba wrote: Apr 3rd, '24, 12:34 From The Mountain Times

$50 million assessment at Mountain Green to hit condo owners in July
After decades of calling Killington home, some say it’s too expensive for them to stay

By Katy Savage

https://mountaintimes.info/50-million-a ... s-in-july/
Stormy, would you say this article is accurate?

I've been close to 3 events in my life that have made the news, and every time I was blown away by the inaccuracies and/or sensationalism of the news articles. Yet, for some reason I read the rest of the news, with the exception of political news of course, like it's gospel.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

KingsFourMan wrote: Apr 4th, '24, 07:51

After decades of calling Killington home, some say it’s too expensive for them to stay

By Katy Savage

I've been close to 3 events in my life that have made the news, and every time I was blown away by the inaccuracies and/or sensationalism of the news articles. Yet, for some reason I read the rest of the news, with the exception of political news of course, like it's gospel.
More or less...

Yes, there is a bunch of work that needs to get done, but also included in the $50M is a bunch of work that is more wish list than requirement. Part of the problem is the association hired a high-end real estate developer as the owners' representative to make sure the contractor is giving the association appropriate renovations and costs, instead of an engineering firm or construction management firm to control costs. Every whim is being addressed to get MG to compete with the new village. And instead of securing a 30- or 40-year loan or developing a long-term improvement program to mitigate costs for ownership, they're pushing repairs and costs to owners over a 6-year period as work gets completed. The majority of owners bought their places with a 30-year mortgage, but now they're being forced to pay 2, 3, 4 times what they bought their place for in 6 years. Almost feels like gentrification. MG was never a luxury resort, but apparently, it's aiming to be...

For example:

- The health club was fully renovated when it only really needed structural work on the roof and under the pool. They renovated all the locker rooms, the steam room, the saunas, the gym, and the spa rooms under the guise of an emergency repair. None of which needed to be done. $2 million. The roof above still leaks and has been causing damage to the new renovation... The new saunas aren't commercial rated and are broken. One hot tub is still yet to be built and there's a hole in the ground waiting.

- They fully renovated the tiny parking garage in building 3 to be code compliant with ventilation, fireproofing, etc., to allow cars to continue parking under the building. The association rents these spaces, but it's going to take 40 years to get a return. They should have closed the garage and rented basement storage space. $2 million.

- They are proposing major renovation of the restaurant, which operates 4 months a year. They can barely get a few thousand dollars measly rent (when the renters even pay), but again they have no problem spending millions to do so. 50 years before the returns show a profit. That's if they can keep a steady lease, which historically they haven't. The old deli space sits unused, with no interested parties. $2 million.

- One of the most expensive roof treatment systems, standing seam metal, was the choice for all roof repairs. Sure it'll last, but there were/are plenty of other sustainable solutions. $15 million.

- Door and window replacements and unit deck repairs that historically have been unit owner responsibility. I replaced my doors and windows 6 years ago. Now they'll be replaced again, for...posterity? The decks are concrete. Some could use a seal, but an overhaul? $4 million.

- Siding replacement including new insulation all around. The contractor suggested just refacing over the old EIFS with a vapor barrier. But no, lets do new insulation and rip out the EIFS. $8 million.

- All new hvac, electric, and fire protection equipment. $5 million.

- All new railings in stairways. $2 million.

- New ADA building entrances. $2 million.

- $1.2 million in architectural, engineering, and permitting fees.

- $1.5 million in construction management fees and office supplies.

- $1 million in construction insurance.

- $1.3 million in gc wages.

- Ski locker renovations, driveway renovations, all new exterior lighting.
ImageImageImageImage
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

I'll add that the association has manipulated the ownership voting system in favor of securing approval for all voting matters. As is currently written, over 50% of the ownership (not 50% of those voting, all ownership) must vote NO in order to decline a voting matter. They've removed 14% off the top for common areas (as if each owner doesn't own a partial stake in the common areas), so that 14% can't go to a NO vote and is a defacto YES vote. If an owner doesn't vote, that's not included as a NO vote and is a defacto YES vote.

To top it all off, the association and their shyster attorney WILL NOT publish the actual number of YES votes, just the NO votes. It's entirely possible for LESS owners vote YES than NO and have matters approved. This is deplorable!
Last edited by Stormchaser on Apr 4th, '24, 09:15, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Stormchaser wrote: Apr 4th, '24, 09:04 I'll add that the association has manipulated the ownership voting system in favor of securing approval for all voting matters. As is currently written, over 50% of the ownership must vote NO in order to decline a voting matter. They've removed 14% off the top for common areas (as if each owner doesn't own a partial stake in the common areas), so that 14% can't go to a NO vote and is a defacto YES vote. If an owner doesn't vote, that's not included as a NO vote and is a defacto YES vote.

To top it all off, the association and their shyster attorney WILL NOT publish the actual number of YES votes, just the NO votes. It's entirely possible for LESS owners vote YES than NO and have matters approved. This is deplorable!
Who’s their attorney? Wouldn’t it have taken a vote of the owners to change the bylaws to modify voting?
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Bubba wrote: Apr 4th, '24, 09:11
Stormchaser wrote: Apr 4th, '24, 09:04 I'll add that the association has manipulated the ownership voting system in favor of securing approval for all voting matters. As is currently written, over 50% of the ownership must vote NO in order to decline a voting matter. They've removed 14% off the top for common areas (as if each owner doesn't own a partial stake in the common areas), so that 14% can't go to a NO vote and is a defacto YES vote. If an owner doesn't vote, that's not included as a NO vote and is a defacto YES vote.

Who’s their attorney? Wouldn’t it have taken a vote of the owners to change the bylaws to modify voting?
It's the attorney's creative interpretations that changed. Attorney is Bill Meub. For years the association never got anything done because they weren't getting enough YES votes, so they changed the way they wrote items up for vote. Instead of saying, vote YES or NO to approve the budget, they word the vote as vote YES or NO to disapprove the budget. Now per they bylaws you need 50% ownership voting YES to disapprove things (really a NO vote on the budget). Pretty slimy if you ask me.
ImageImageImageImage
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

Stormchaser wrote: Apr 4th, '24, 08:51
KingsFourMan wrote: Apr 4th, '24, 07:51

By Katy Savage

More or less...

Yes, there is a bunch of work that needs to get done, but also included in the $50M is a bunch of work that is more wish list than requirement. Part of the problem is the association hired a high-end real estate developer as the owners' representative to make sure the contractor is giving the association appropriate renovations and costs, instead of an engineering firm or construction management firm to control costs. Every whim is being addressed to get MG to compete with the new village. And instead of securing a 30- or 40-year loan or developing a long-term improvement program to mitigate costs for ownership, they're pushing repairs and costs to owners over a 6-year period as work gets completed. The majority of owners bought their places with a 30-year mortgage, but now they're being forced to pay 2, 3, 4 times what they bought their place for in 6 years. Almost feels like gentrification. MG was never a luxury resort, but apparently, it's aiming to be...
This is absurd, they could not have hired a worse Owner's Rep than a high-end real estate developer, but they were clearly not interested in saving money.

If they were, they would have had a construction manager on board from the get-go driving the bus on the entire process. The CM would have provided you with the most cost-effective solution for every issue those buildings had. They would have hired the Architect and the Engineers for you to be sure that you had the right one's for this type of project, and then worked closely with them to identify the areas of concern and the most cost effective solutions for each one. They would have provided the association with their recommendations along with alternative means and methods for each with a cost breakdown for the alternatives typically with a high, medium and low cost option for each. Once the repairs had been decided upon by the association, the CM would then bid the work to the various sub-contractors direct, or to a GC, and then managed the construction process from start to finish including quality control, schedule, and change orders which are inevitable with a project like this. The rule of thumb being 15% change orders for renovations or around $6.5M in this case. Hopefully that has been factored into the budget otherwise GM Owners are in for another ugly surprise. The time to hire a CM is at the very beginning of a project like this, they would have easily paid for their own services. But is sounds like your board was not interested in saving money and had other aspirations.
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

How many units does VACASA own in MG? Seems like a lot and will probably become more.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

jimmywilson69 wrote: Apr 4th, '24, 12:06 How many units does VACASA own in MG? Seems like a lot and will probably become more.

None afaik (and per land record info on Ktown website), they are a rental management company for individual owners.
ImageImageImageImage
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

ok Wasn't sure if they had got into the "ownership" game or were just private management as you stated.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

Bubba wrote: Apr 3rd, '24, 09:17 One of the first rules in purchasing vacation property is not to buy it as an investment. You buy it because you want to enjoy it, and any subsequent appreciation in value comes as a bonus.
Truth.
skiguy802
Beginner On Rentals

Post by skiguy802 »

Stormchaser wrote: Mar 29th, '24, 13:06
skiguy802 wrote: Mar 29th, '24, 11:21 when did the assessment commence collecting $ from owners?
when is it scheduled to end? (10 years from commencement?)
what other items would you, or the board anticipate coming up in the next 10 years?

seems to be a fair # of units on the market right now (25) - any idea how many total units in the 3 buildings? do all three buildings have parking garages?
curious what you got, saw a recent sale for 129, there are two units that came on 3 weeks ago for low prices (140 & 135) and both have cut 2x and are now at 130, I expect they will sell for $120 or less. These three are setting the tone for what will be lower prices. Here's the Q, how much will the same sized units be selling/ renting for in the new village? have to think that pulls these up in value being across the street. So, you are buying a 1BR for about 300, across the street from the village and you have to put down 40% of that in the form of buying the unit for cash & then you "finance" the remaining 60% over 7 years (the biggest portion of the assessment) of course with zero tax deductibility.
you can cover all of your expenses (HOA/Assessment/utilities/insurance) if u rent full time and get good rentals. so that's a zero sum equation with the bet that you will rise in value (and rental pricing) when the new village is open and functioning with entertainment and restaurants. I can put my $ in an S&P 500 fund for 8 years and know that will at least double...
skiguy802
Beginner On Rentals

Post by skiguy802 »

hillbangin wrote: Mar 30th, '24, 07:40 I'd get out too. Congrats! But in this nutty world - if they ever get it fixed ( IMO they won't because it's a herculean task ) - that's cheap real estate at 600 bucks a foot next to the village ( see Stowe ).

Stowe is over $1,000 a square foot. Aspen is $4,000 a foot off the mountain a half a mile from the lifts.

As Asher said - if you can sit on it for 10 years - rent it out - etc - it may work out.

Big gamble.

Even if it does work out - Vermont is going to take a big chunk when you sell it...........
what do you think pricing in the new village will be? heard similar to Stowe, the sales guy previously worked at Stowe. Says the #s are coming with a big push for pre-construction sales at the World Cup in November
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

Back to the conversation about opportunity cost between a $1M investment in VT real estate, or the equivalent investment in CO. Not that I'm looking to make a million-dollar investment in either but that is what it will now cost me to build a house in VT, that we have been dreaming about for 20 years, on land that we already own, that would have cost us $550,000 at most to build four years ago. And then there are the new VT taxes...

Take this property for example:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/38-T ... 8611_zpid/

A 3 bedroom, newly renovated condo in the heart of Summit County.

The taxes are $3,094 vs $25,000 (at least). The HOA fees are $6,000/yr so factoring that in, it's $9,094/yr vs $25,000 (at least) and I don't have to do squat as far exterior maintenance goes. The snow plowing of my driveway in VT alone is $2,500/yr so now its $6,594/yr vs $25,000. That $18,400 savings per year would buy a lot of plane tickets between Newark and Denver.

It is within minutes of Breckenridge, Copper, Keystone, and A Basin and about 30 minutes to Vail, 40 minutes to Beaver Creek, and an hour and a half to Steamboat. In Vt we are 10-15 minutes to Killington and Okemo, an hour to Stratton, and an hour and 40 to Sugarbush.

In CO it snows a lot in Winter, in VT it r*ins a lot in winter.

The snowmobiling season in CO is about 20 weeks, in VT it's about 6 weeks on average at best and getting shorter all the time.

It's 90 minutes from DIA. It takes us 4.5 to 5 hrs to drive to VT on one of the last 2 lane highways in American that connects the country's largest city to its state capital, in the 4th most populous state, and is full of lane hogs who have never heard of keep right except to pass.

I'm letting go of a dream that we've had for VT for the past 20 years but everything is now pointing west. Too bad Geoff, who used to post here often but moved to Avon, CO isn't still here to chime in.