Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
Coydog
Guru Poster

Re: Supreme Court

Post by Coydog »

daytripper wrote: May 19th, '22, 12:45
Coydog wrote: May 19th, '22, 12:41
Mister Moose wrote: May 19th, '22, 10:41
First point, yes. Using an all white men scoreboard starting from the beginning of the country during an all white men in government era is to ignore the historical context. We are evolving to what the founders envisioned but did not yet have, and should continue on that journey, not regress to another but somehow "better" form of racism/sexism.
It doesn’t ignore the historical context, it shines a spotlight on it. The reason it took until 2022 for our country to confirm its first black woman for SCOTUS is plain and simple – institutional and systemic racism and sexism. You don't combat that by sticking with the status quo.
You also don't combat it with more sexism and racism. Two wrongs still don't make a right.
For an action to be sexist or racist, it must be unjust. Given the historical context, Biden's SCOTUS nomination process clearly was not unjust.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Coydog wrote: May 19th, '22, 13:38
First point, yes. Using an all white men scoreboard starting from the beginning of the country during an all white men in government era is to ignore the historical context. We are evolving to what the founders envisioned but did not yet have, and should continue on that journey, not regress to another but somehow "better" form of racism/sexism.
It doesn’t ignore the historical context, it shines a spotlight on it. The reason it took until 2022 for our country to confirm its first black woman for SCOTUS is plain and simple – institutional and systemic racism and sexism. You don't combat that by sticking with the status quo.
You also don't combat it with more sexism and racism. Two wrongs still don't make a right.
For an action to be sexist or racist, it must be unjust. Given the historical context, Biden's SCOTUS nomination process clearly was not unjust.
I agree it was not unjust, but it certainly was racist and sexist.
Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

daytripper wrote: May 19th, '22, 14:46
Coydog wrote: May 19th, '22, 13:38
I agree it was not unjust, but it certainly was racist and sexist.
I find that particular application of both terms extremely naive and overly simplistic. Kinda like claiming by some sort of blunt definition, the National Brotherhood of Skiers is racist and the Daughters of the American Revolution is sexist.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

Clearance Thomas should absolutely resign. What a criminal.

https://news.yahoo.com/ginni-thomas-urg ... 46379.html
Don't Killington Pico
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

boston_e wrote: May 20th, '22, 22:00 Clearance Thomas should absolutely resign. What a criminal.

He won’t and no one will do anything about it.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: May 21st, '22, 06:00
boston_e wrote: May 20th, '22, 22:00 Clearance Thomas should absolutely resign. What a criminal.

Of course not - but he is absolutely, without question, 100% corrupt.
Don't Killington Pico
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

boston_e wrote: May 21st, '22, 08:24
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: May 21st, '22, 06:00

Of course not - but he is absolutely, without question, 100% corrupt.
Said without providing evidence, just conjecture. You are probably just another racist.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

In other news, SCOTUS has decided to chip away at other Constitutional rights: today, it's your right to counsel.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/wh ... 4d1ac377fd

I said it before and I'll say it again, a conservative Court means fewer rights for all of us.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Good job Schumer, Pelosi, and other violent lefties.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/suprem ... n-arrested

- Simon and Garfunkel
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

throbster wrote: Jun 8th, '22, 11:11 Good job Schumer, Pelosi, and other violent lefties.

Harden his home. One door in/out. Post an armed retired vet at the door.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Jun 8th, '22, 12:30
throbster wrote: Jun 8th, '22, 11:11 Good job Schumer, Pelosi, and other violent lefties.

Harden his home. One door in/out. Post an armed retired vet at the door.
Or Sleepy show some leadership, and condemn harassment of judges

- Simon and Garfunkel
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Laughable you actually care now. Certainly wasn't an issue for you when Trump wound up the Gravy Seals on January 6th.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

SCOTUS be like:

Abortion should be left to the States to decide

Concealed carry of firearms cannot be left to the States to decide
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Jun 23rd, '22, 11:39 SCOTUS be like:

Abortion should be left to the States to decide

Concealed carry of firearms cannot be left to the States to decide
There's a reason for this.... if I could just put my finger on it....

One of the 2 majority opinions stated, “Properly interpreted, the Second Amendment allows a ‘variety’ of gun regulations,” wrote Roberts and Kavanaugh, who also noted that states can still make applicants for a firearm license “undergo fingerprinting, a background check, a mental health records check, and training in firearms handling and in laws regarding the use of force, among other possible requirements.” and ..."does not preclude state and local restrictions on gun ownership by felons and the mentally ill — or laws banning the carrying of firearms in “sensitive locations” like schools and government buildings."

This addresses some previous discussion on how any amendment is not absolute, and what the Court may consider in the future to be reasonable requirements. I think they left out fees for licenses, they aren't cheap, and create an economic barrier that shouldn't be there.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Moose correctly summarizes their view. They regard gun rights as protected by the 2nd amendment explicitly, whereas abortion rights are not actually mentioned in the Constitution.

The issue I take with that view we discussed earlier - I don't think the 2nd amendment should be applied to the states, and I don't think it was meant to guarantee a personal right as it was written. I actually think abortion rights are a lot closer to the kinds of rights that were intended to be applied to the states through the 14th amendment, as it is in line with protecting your person from unreasonable searches and seizures and that sort of thing. It seems to me that there is a substantive due process right to do what you want with your body as far as medical procedures (to choose to undergo or refuse to undergo any procedure). To me that seems like a more sacred and important right than owning a firearm.

As far as the federalism argument, that always seems like a pretext to me. The only time a person seems to care about "state's rights" is when it gets them the outcome they want. But somehow that principle gets discarded whenever it doesn't favor the desired outcome.