Supreme Court

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Re: Supreme Court

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Collins and Murkowski really in a corner.
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

Oh I didn't see the circulation date. Interesting. A fully drafted decision circulates in February, and SCOTUS has yet to finalize? Makes you wonder what's going on behind the scenes up there. I would not be quick to blame anyone for the leak at this stage. Either side could have reason, and it could also be some staffer who only recently got his or her hands on it or had some other motivation we don't even know about.

I have to admit that if Kavanaugh supports this decision, I was wrong about him, too. I didn't think he'd vote to overturn Roe/Casey.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

easyrider16 wrote: May 3rd, '22, 12:56I have to admit that if Kavanaugh supports this decision, I was wrong about him, too. I didn't think he'd vote to overturn Roe/Casey.
He and Gorsuch, in their confirmation hearings, said something along the lines of Roe being 'settled law'. Not like it matters now of course.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Just another example of GOP accusations really being confessions.

"The Democrats will appoint activist judges! "

J/k that's what we do

Second time in the past 15 years a major court decision will be utilized for political gain. The first being citizens united vs FEC.

But hey, under oath in front of Congress recent conservative appointments claimed Roe v Wade is settled law. Basically they lied under oath. NBD
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

The irony of it is that Republicans don't appoint judges that protect conservative values. They appoint judges that empower the state. Liberals actually appoint judges that protect conservative values, like individual rights and limiting police power.

Allowing the states to outlaw abortion is not a conservative decision. It is allowing states to interfere in the intimate affairs of individuals' reproductive choices. Whether you think that is right or wrong, you can't deny that it's an increase in governmental power and control over its people. Therefore, it is inherently not conservative.

Republicans are not conservatives. They used to be fiscally conservative, but that has long since gone out the window. They are now basically the party of nativism, evangelicals, and "don't change things I like them how they are"
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

What if one of the justices leaked it .... :?
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

easyrider16 wrote: May 3rd, '22, 17:00 The irony of it is that Republicans don't appoint judges that protect conservative values. They appoint judges that empower the state. Liberals actually appoint judges that protect conservative values, like individual rights and limiting police power.

Allowing the states to outlaw abortion is not a conservative decision. It is allowing states to interfere in the intimate affairs of individuals' reproductive choices. Whether you think that is right or wrong, you can't deny that it's an increase in governmental power and control over its people. Therefore, it is inherently not conservative.

Republicans are not conservatives. They used to be fiscally conservative, but that has long since gone out the window. They are now basically the party of nativism, evangelicals, and "don't change things I like them how they are"
:bull
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

deadheadskier wrote: May 3rd, '22, 14:09 Just another example of GOP accusations really being confessions.

"The Democrats will appoint activist judges! "

J/k that's what we do

Second time in the past 15 years a major court decision will be utilized for political gain. The first being citizens united vs FEC.

But hey, under oath in front of Congress recent conservative appointments claimed Roe v Wade is settled law. Basically they lied under oath. NBD
you seem to forget the SCOTUS decision that will be remembered as leading to the downfall of the republic: bush v gore. take a look at the brooks brothers riot for a whos who of behind the scenes GOP snakes. one of whom is a facebook executive.
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

Dickc wrote: May 3rd, '22, 07:13 Early reports are claiming a leaked opinion from the court is overturning Row V Wade.

I really think that Republicans should be careful what they wish for as this might be a step too far. While I have always questioned the logic behind the original decision, its been law for 49 years. The fallout will be big and loud, and might be the spark the
Democrats need to hold onto the house and senate.
yeah, lets just VOTE HARDER!!!! that will show them!!!

the democrats had FOUR f*** DECADES to codify the right to abortion (or more generally, the right to privacy) but instead thought it would be better to use it as a fundraising call.

f*** the democrats. i and most people my age are completely done with so called "democracy" and are prepping for revolution. the government is not by us, it is not for us, it is merely a vehicle of gaslighting and manufactured consent.

thank god i am not a straight woman.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

asher2789 wrote: May 3rd, '22, 19:02
Dickc wrote: May 3rd, '22, 07:13 Early reports are claiming a leaked opinion from the court is overturning Row V Wade.

I really think that Republicans should be careful what they wish for as this might be a step too far. While I have always questioned the logic behind the original decision, its been law for 49 years. The fallout will be big and loud, and might be the spark the
Democrats need to hold onto the house and senate.
yeah, lets just VOTE HARDER!!!! that will show them!!!

the democrats had FOUR f*** DECADES to codify the right to abortion (or more generally, the right to privacy) but instead thought it would be better to use it as a fundraising call.

f*** the democrats. i and most people my age are completely done with so called "democracy" and are prepping for revolution. the government is not by us, it is not for us, it is merely a vehicle of gaslighting and manufactured consent.

thank god i am not a straight woman.
Thanks for the good laugh, I needed that! :banana: :seeya :dis
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: May 3rd, '22, 18:29 What if one of the justices leaked it .... :?
I think it is likely that the decision was leaked at the direction of a judge. The judges are the only ones besides staffers that have access to draft decisions, and the judges are the only ones who can't be fired for leaking it.
Fancypants
Black Carver

Post by Fancypants »

easyrider16 wrote: May 3rd, '22, 21:07
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: May 3rd, '22, 18:29 What if one of the justices leaked it .... :?
I think it is likely that the decision was leaked at the direction of a judge. The judges are the only ones besides staffers that have access to draft decisions, and the judges are the only ones who can't be fired for leaking it.
Sotoymayor, Kagan, Breyer? Probably not, the rat in the cage is Chief Justice Roberts.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

<cough> SCOTUS Judges can be impeached. Is it worth a judge's career to maybe affect the outcome? Doubt it.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Mister Moose wrote: May 3rd, '22, 22:51
<cough> SCOTUS Judges can be impeached. Is it worth a judge's career to maybe affect the outcome? Doubt it.
If you subscribe to any conspiracy theories, which most the GOP does these days, perhaps it's not just the judge's career on the line :lol: :wink:
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Mister Moose wrote: May 3rd, '22, 22:51 <cough> SCOTUS Judges can be impeached. Is it worth a judge's career to maybe affect the outcome? Doubt it.
In theory, true. In practice? It's only happened once in 200+ years. In the present day I think impeaching a Supreme Court judge would work about as well as impeaching a president.

But I agree. It's a high-risk move. I think it's high-risk for whomever did it, because if it's a staffer they will be fired. Removing a judge is a lot harder, and men of hubris have taken far greater risks in the past (see e.g. Nixon). In this case, the issue has such moral/social implications that I suspect more than a few people would not hesitate to risk their career over it.
Fancypants wrote: May 3rd, '22, 21:53 Sotoymayor, Kagan, Breyer? Probably not, the rat in the cage is Chief Justice Roberts.
Here's a conspiracy theory - maybe Thomas' wife found a printout of it somewhere in his home study and ran to the press with it. Or maybe Breyer, who is retiring anyway, decided to do it because he sees little risk and wants to help democrats.

The issue I have with the contention that a democrat did this to help their election chances is, wouldn't it be better if they just let the decision come out closer to the election? It is almost certainly going to be released before the end of the term, which ends October 2022. Along those lines, it seems more likely that a conservative released it now so that by the time the election rolls around it would not be so fresh in people's minds.