Enough

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: Enough

Post by easyrider16 »

daytripper wrote: Apr 11th, '23, 08:30 There is absolutely 0% chance that you will outlaw guns in the USA.
Agreed at the present time. Hopefully in a few decades opinions will change.
daytripper wrote: Apr 11th, '23, 08:30Reinstating the assault rifle ban may happen, and I agree stricter regulations like more comprehensive background checks and waiting periods between buying and taking possession on guns, but in this country guns are not going away so we need to come up with some other solutions to this problem.
We should start with assault rifles, instituting a ban and a buyback. That would certainly help. But to your earlier point, I'm dubious that we could even get to that point with the current political climate. The current Supreme Court might even strike down such a ban. It would be in defiance of precedent, but it's not like they've shown any interest in following precedent on other controversial issues like abortion.
Last edited by easyrider16 on Apr 11th, '23, 08:36, edited 1 time in total.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

easyrider16 wrote: Apr 11th, '23, 08:33The current Supreme Court might even strike down such a ban.
I'm actually thinking, at some point, someone will try to attack the ban on fully automatic weapons and take it to SCOTUS.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

I should clarify - I don't think we need to outlaw all guns. I think we should have a federal ban on the most dangerous types of weapons, like assault rifles, certain types of shotguns, etc. Then we should allow state and local governments to enact further bans as they see fit depending on their unique circumstances. Places like Chicago and New York, for instance, should be allowed to ban guns 100% within city limits. But more rural areas should be allowed to have more liberal gun laws, subject to the Federal limitations. We should also still have red flag laws and stricter licensing controls (like requiring mental health evals) for the guns that would still be legal.

I am under no illusions that any of this will happen in the U.S. The response by the right-wing has been to liberalize gun laws in the face of these shootings, which to me is an act of unmitigated stupidity.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Apr 11th, '23, 08:36
easyrider16 wrote: Apr 11th, '23, 08:33The current Supreme Court might even strike down such a ban.
I'm actually thinking, at some point, someone will try to attack the ban on fully automatic weapons and take it to SCOTUS.
Wait until someone attacks SCOTUS with an AR-15.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Bubba wrote: Apr 11th, '23, 08:58
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Apr 11th, '23, 08:36
Wait until someone attacks SCOTUS with an AR-15.
SCOTUS must move their families into the White House to be protected .... GOP probably.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Updated information:
  • suspect bought the gun legally
  • suspect was an employee of the bank he went and shot up
  • suspect left a note and texted or called at least one person to let them know he was suicidal and contemplating harm

Under Kentucky law, there was nothing law enforcement could do to stop the suspect from purchasing the gun or carrying it to the bank. Even if someone gave them the information that this person was mentally unstable, police had no tools to use that information or to take away the gun. Literally until the moment he pointed the gun at someone, there was nothing police could do. This is an absurd state of affairs.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/lo ... r-AA19G7vA
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

This is why we need a much longer waiting period and stronger background checks for gun purchases. If the process took a couple of months, chances are this kid would have cooled off, probably had another job and given up on the idea of revenge.

One thing that also really needs to be looked at is concussion victims. That should be a red flag for purchasing weapons. Apparently this kid wore a helmet playing highschool hoops because of so many concussions. I wouldn't be surprised if the autopsy shows CTE. That has shown to result in very erratic behavior in many victims.

Nah, who am I kidding. More good guys with guns is the answer! At some point we will have enough right?
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Saratoga County woman killed after turning into wrong driveway
https://www.timesunion.com/news/article ... socialflow

If you look at home defense statistics, you'll find having a firearm in the home makes it more likely someone will be killed/injured by accident than protect/save you from an intruder.
Last edited by XtremeJibber2001 on Apr 18th, '23, 09:08, edited 1 time in total.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

No no no. Not the gun. If he hadn't had a gun, clearly the homeowner would have come out and stabbed her with a knife through the car window.

What we need are more guns. The kids in the car should have been good kids with guns and killed the bad guy with the gun.

Someday we will reach that magical turning point where there will be enough good guys with a gun!! Maybe the government should just issue everyone a gun? Need to make sure we have enough well regulated militias to take on the government when they turn bad. Any day now!
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

So why don't you just nicely ask all the criminals to turn their guns in? I think they would all comply.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

daytripper wrote: Apr 18th, '23, 08:59 So why don't you just nicely ask all the criminals to turn their guns in? I think they would all comply.
That's not the point. The point is preventing potential criminals from acquiring guns in the first place and restricting further the types of guns that can be purchased. It's way too easy to do both in this country.

But too your point, I'm in favor of buy back programs on restricted guns and steep penalties for those who refuse to comply.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

deadheadskier wrote: Apr 18th, '23, 09:56
daytripper wrote: Apr 18th, '23, 08:59 So why don't you just nicely ask all the criminals to turn their guns in? I think they would all comply.
That's not the point. The point is preventing potential criminals from acquiring guns in the first place and restricting further the types of guns that can be purchased. It's way too easy to do both in this country.

But too your point, I'm in favor of buy back programs on restricted guns and steep penalties for those who refuse to comply.
So was this man a criminal before he shot her? I have not seen any reports of the gun type but assuming it was not an assault rifle and bought legally than what do you propose could have been done differently?
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

daytripper wrote: Apr 18th, '23, 10:48
deadheadskier wrote: Apr 18th, '23, 09:56

So was this man a criminal before he shot her? I have not seen any reports of the gun type but assuming it was not an assault rifle and bought legally than what do you propose could have been done differently?
Something tells me if an individual fires a gun at an unknown car in their driveway that isn't presenting a threat, that individual is likely not mentally fit to own a gun.

I would need to know more about the man in question before offering what specifically could have been done in this situation to prevent him from murdering a young girl.

If you want to ask me some of the ideas that I would like to see implemented based upon the problems we have with guns in this country, I'm happy to do that for you.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

But realistically, what else could have been done? Assuming he legally bought the gun, outside of banning guns (which is not realistically going to happen) what can be done? I agree the man is probably mentally unstable to just go and shoot at a car turning around in your driveway, but if he never did anything like that before then nobody could have realistically known that. What ideas do you have towards gun control that have a realistic chance of happening? Banning assault weapons could possibly happen, but doesn't seem like an assault weapons was used in this case. I could get behind an extended waiting period between buying and taking possession of a gun but it doesn't look like that would have made a difference in this situation either. Mental health is a slippery slope too because what are you going to do? Have people take a mental health test yearly if they own a gun? That has no chance of happening. What ideas do you have?
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

daytripper wrote: Apr 18th, '23, 13:31What ideas do you have towards gun control that have a realistic chance of happening?
What if, like driving, you had to have a license to own / carry a firearm? To obtain the license, you had to demonstrate you're competent with the firearm and also able to pass a test on the laws governing the same. This license would have to be renewed periodically.