Enough

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: Enough

Post by deadheadskier »

Ok

You did say "my". Had me confused because it seems you don't approve of possession of that kind of gun
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

deadheadskier wrote: Apr 19th, '23, 20:29 Ok

You did say "my". Had me confused because it seems you don't approve of possession of that kind of gun
My friend has something like an XM15. I think it's unnecessary, but in his case it's legal and I've shot it before. Can I be for tighter gun laws and still shoot the guns I want to outlaw while they remain legal? I guess I am somewhat of a hypocrite?

I own a Mossberg 12 gauge and an old .22 rifle. I've considered something like a SIG P320, but always come to the conclusion it creates more safety issues than it solves.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Of course you can. Maybe slightly a hypocrite, but as an enthusiast I don't have a major problem with it. I don't have a problem with AR style rifles used and locked up at a range. Hell, I'd be fine with a M60 used and locked at the range. I do have a problem with an AR in the general public.

But again

"But my Winchester 1890 is not the same as my XM15

I simply read that as those are two guns you own
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

deadheadskier wrote: Apr 20th, '23, 08:41 I don't have a problem with AR style rifles used and locked up at a range. Hell, I'd be fine with a M60 used and locked at the range. I do have a problem with an AR in the general public.
This is the issue - it's about regulation, not taking guns away from citizens. I'm not against people enjoying these things so long as there are proper controls. All we are asking is for the imposition of some reasonable regulations to address an obvious problem. The current interpretation of the Second Amendment by the Court and much of the populace, however, does not allow for such reasonable regulation, and thus it needs to be changed.

We don't need to have a "right" to own a firearm. We don't have a specific Constitutional right to own cars, computers, or much of anything else, yet we can still have and use those things. Similarly we can eliminate the right to own a firearm and still allow people to own and use firearms.
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

What is the difference between these two rifles?

https://www.iammo.com/guns/rifles/savag ... 18528.html

https://www.iammo.com/guns/rifles/windh ... ftws1.html

The difference is one is a so called assault weapon, and the other is not. They both fire the same .223 round, and both are capable of high capacity magazines. One would be banned with an assault weapon ban, and the other would not.

In my view, the .223 ammo is a problem as a "non assault weapon" will kill just as deadly fast in the wrong hands as an assault weapon would.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Dickc wrote: Apr 20th, '23, 16:31 What is the difference between these two rifles?

The difference is one is a so called assault weapon, and the other is not. They both fire the same .223 round, and both are capable of high capacity magazines. One would be banned with an assault weapon ban, and the other would not.

In my view, the .223 ammo is a problem as a "non assault weapon" will kill just as deadly fast in the wrong hands as an assault weapon would.
I can throw a lot more lead with a 30 round magazine feeding a semi-auto than I can with a bolt action.

I think the former is far more deadly than the latter.
Last edited by XtremeJibber2001 on Apr 20th, '23, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.
skidogg
Poster Child Poster

Post by skidogg »

longer range
fast is cool.
Faster is cooler. bring back the dis
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Apr 20th, '23, 17:23
Dickc wrote: Apr 20th, '23, 16:31 What is the difference between these two rifles?

I can throw a lot more lead with a 30 round magazine feeding a semi-auto than I can with a bolt action.

I think the former is far more deadly than the latter.
My mistake, I thought I had picked two semi auto's

Substitute this one for the Savage arms weapon.

https://www.iammo.com/guns/rifles/ruger ... -5816.html
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

My point is the ammo is the problem. The .223 round causes massive injuries once struck by it. WAY, WAY, WAY more damage than a .22 cal round with virtually the same diameter. I think the ammo itself should be banned. Want a rifle with good stopping power? Get a 30-06.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

I can agree with that, but admittedly know very little about ammo nor do I want to.

You hear horror stories from surgeons about what that round does to human flesh. When something does so much damage that the deceased sometimes need to be identified by dental records, to me that's something that should be banned from civilian use except in a controlled environment.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

In the event anyone has lost track the last two weeks ...

A 16 year old was shot for ringing the wrong doorbell.

A 20 year old was shot and killed for driving down the wrong driveway.

An 18 year old is in critical condition for trying to get into the wrong car.

And a 6 year old and her dad were shot because her basketball rolled onto the wrong lawn.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Here's a concept. Clearly the proliferation of guns in the wrong hands needs to be addressed through better screening and policing. The Louisville shooter wrote that part of his goal was to prove how easy it was for someone with mental challenges to acquire guns. Policy makers need to know this and make adjustments to red flag laws.

But, as 2A diehards always say it's the person, not the gun. There is some truth to that. All of the above shootings occurred because of the shooters inability to manage anger and stress.

What if we invested in better early intervention with youth on how to manage anger, stress and depression? Make EVERY child, even the well adjusted, have to participate in one on one counseling for at least an hour a month, maybe more as part of a school's curriculum for K through 12. These lessons should be taught by parents, but there are so many children with bad parents or missing a parent to teach these lessons well.

The investment would obviously be massive to train and hire enough mental health workers to carry this out in every school for every child. But, I bet the results would be profound. Fewer kids growing up pursuing a life of crime, fewer violent altercations with young people and reduced youth suicide to name a few. By instilling these ethics and coping mechanisms early and consistently, there's a good chance for many of these kids to carry what they learned into adulthood and reduce violent behavior.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

There is no one simple solution to this - mental health, access to firearms, type of weapon and ammunition which are made available, red flag possibilities etc all play a part.

Problem is that republicans pretty much reject any proposals related to any of it and only offer thoughts and prayers.
Don't Killington Pico
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

deadheadskier wrote: Apr 21st, '23, 08:06

What if we invested in better early intervention with youth on how to manage anger, stress and depression? Make EVERY child, even the well adjusted, have to participate in one on one counseling for at least an hour a month, maybe more as part of a school's curriculum for K through 12. These lessons should be taught by parents, but there are so many children with bad parents or missing a parent to teach these lessons well.
Republican's think that is "woke" and the schools should stick to the basics of writing, math and history (well at least history as they believe it to be so, regardless of what is actually true history).
Don't Killington Pico
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

We've discussed this on here before, but the primary differences I see between the two models you selected are the pistol grip, barrel shroud, magazine capacity, and bolt action vs semi-auto. Those differences add up to a weapon that is much more effective at engaging multiple targets, i.e. mass shooting events. The semi-auto feature also increases the rate of fire significantly.

I mean just imagine if an active shooter had to actuate the bolt action between shots, and how much opportunity that would create to stop him.