Enough

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Re: Enough

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Same old tired proposal from folks like Ted Cruz ... arm elementary school teachers. In the case of Texas, two Uvalde police officers and a school resource officer fired at the shooter, but it didn't stop the shooter from carrying out his attack.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: May 25th, '22, 11:30 Same old tired proposal from folks like Ted Cruz ... arm elementary school teachers. In the case of Texas, two Uvalde police officers and a school resource officer fired at the shooter, but it didn't stop the shooter from carrying out his attack.
And what is your new fresh proposal?
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

throbster wrote: May 25th, '22, 11:31
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: May 25th, '22, 11:30 Same old tired proposal from folks like Ted Cruz ... arm elementary school teachers. In the case of Texas, two Uvalde police officers and a school resource officer fired at the shooter, but it didn't stop the shooter from carrying out his attack.
And what is your new fresh proposal?
Starting at a place where there's almost universal agreement.
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: May 25th, '22, 08:02
daytripper wrote: May 25th, '22, 07:53 The only gun control I would like to see is better background checks, a national standard and a waiting period of a few days so that a thorough check can be completed. Nobody needs a gun so badly that they can't wait a few (3-5) days.
Universal Background Checks has wide support across Rs and Ds. So lets start here.
deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by deadheadskier »

Trump is speaking at the annual NRA event in Houston on Friday. Cruz and Abbott as well.

Completely tone deaf given yesterday's massacre four hours away.

But I'm sure they'll have some great ideas. :?c
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Something, something, soft targets, shall not be infringed

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/25/11011818 ... um=twitter
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

deadheadskier wrote: May 25th, '22, 13:37 Something, something, soft targets, shall not be infringed

https://www.npr.org/2022/05/25/11011818 ... um=twitter
What's your point? It's not even his choice, it's the secret service.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

According to reports, the Uvalde shooter had no known mental health issues and no prior arrests. He was legally able to buy the weapons regardless of background checks.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

"Nearly ten years after Sandy Hook — and ten days after Buffalo — our country is paralyzed, not by fear, but by a gun lobby and a political party that have shown no willingness to act in any way that might help prevent these tragedies," Obama said in a late-night Twitter thread on Monday.

"It's long past time for action, any kind of action," Obama added. "And it's another tragedy — a quieter but no less tragic one — for families to wait another day."
Finding it hard to disagree.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... 3c6019e5f6
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Spend some of the COVID relief funds on hardening schools.

- Simon and Garfunkel
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

deadheadskier wrote: May 25th, '22, 05:45
throbster wrote: May 24th, '22, 19:51
boston_e wrote: May 24th, '22, 19:13 When one party resists any sort of gun reform and doesn’t want to spend on mental health services this is what we end up with. It’s essentially part of our culture at this point.
There is no gun control law that would do any good in these situations and it is a waste of time considering it. Also, that's BS about mental health services. We need to do better with red flags and intervene sooner.
Gun control laws don't work? Then why are these mass shooting events almost exclusively happening in only one first world country - the USA? They are very rare almost anywhere else in the developed world.

Even without doing a thing about guns, let's start by banning civilian ownership of tactical gear. Both the Buffalo and Texas shooters were wearing such. Maybe the armed guard in Buffalo could have taken out the shooter had he not been wearing that armor.

There are some Republicans interested in improving access to healthcare including mental health services, but they are a quiet minority to be certain. Almost every Democrat loudly campaigns on Universal Healthcare. Almost every Republican campaigns on the second amendment. There is a major difference between the two parties on both these topics.
gun control laws dont work in a country that already has more guns than people. your comparison is apples to oranges. the genie left the lamp decades+ ago on that.

as for body armor, why should we ban that? so that marginalized people who are attacked by fascists dont have access to methods of self defense? were on the cusp of a civil war and liberals want to ban the only things that will save them. its incredible how stupid this is. youll want body armor and guns when these nutjobs who make guns their whole personality come after you when dear leader tells them its righteous to murder liberals as theyre subhuman anyways. if you think it cant happen here youre incredibly naive and not paying attention to growing extremism exclusively from the fascist far right.

also, texas shooter wasnt wearing armor, there were PUSSY ASS COPS already there armed to the teeth who did nothing but watch a bunch of children get murdered instead of being the so called "good guys with guns".

as a marginalized person - far leftist, lesbian, gender nonconforming and jewish - i am 110% pro 2A with reasonable regulations. reasonable to me is mandatory waiting periods (with an exception for victims of domestic violence/filing an order of protection), background checks with no loopholes, mandatory gun safety classes, mandatory gun safes, storing ammo and guns separately. most gun violence is crimes of passion, suicides and accidents. you cant stop these psycho mass shooters with gun legislation. what sensible gun legislation will do is prevent most of the impulsive violence and accidents, which is what the majority of deaths attributed to guns stem from despite mass shooters getting tons of media attention that makes the public think otherwise. waiting periods alone would be a huge help for crimes of passion/suicides as those are products of impulsiveness, and being forced to wait and think it out might change the gun purchaser's plans. of course if theres a will, theres a way, regardless of guns.

these psychos are a symptom of CAPITALISM making people f*** insane as they struggle to survive, not because we have too many guns. we have a mental health crisis, but putting these psychos in insane asylums is merely a bandaid solution. the US leads the world in violent nutjobs, and that is because we are the ONLY country to not have universal healthcare and a social safety net that actually catches people instead of making them jump through firey hoops while throwing cork 7s to get benefits.
Last edited by asher2789 on May 25th, '22, 16:03, edited 1 time in total.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

So let me get this straight - Republicans won't trust that teachers can hold age-appropriate discussions over issues like sex or gender, but they all of a sudden will trust them with a firearm to stop an attack that three trained officers couldn't prevent? Republicans are so stupid!
Don't Killington Pico
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

throbster wrote: May 24th, '22, 20:16
Dickc wrote: May 24th, '22, 20:13
Also, that's BS about mental health services. We need to do better with red flags and intervene sooner.
Throbster, reconsider this part of your statement. This kid, yes he is considered an adult, but at 18 is really still a kid, could have used some mental health help. If it had been more readily available, he might have been pushed into having a little help. IF he had gotten help, this may have never happened. Also, if mental health help was more available, one of his friends and acquaintances might have steered professionals into looking into him and then seeing the red flags you speak about.
eBoston suggested that Rs are not interested in spending for mental health services to which I say BS.
reagan is the one who defunded mental healthcare in this country. the republicans are f*** trash and they have been for 40+ years, and the democrats are not far behind in complete ineptitude to do anything to solve problems.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

boston_e wrote: May 25th, '22, 16:00
So let me get this straight - Republicans won't trust that teachers can hold age-appropriate discussions over issues like sex or gender, but they all of a sudden will trust them with a firearm to stop an attack that three trained officers couldn't prevent? Republicans are so stupid!
You sound like a fool. I hope you know that.

Most Republicans and most Democrats are opposed to teachers discussing sex and gender fluidity with early grade school kids. Hardening schools means single point of entry, cameras and other technology. It is much more realistic than gun control.

We also need to look at returning religion, the nuclear family and basic morals into our nation's fabric. This Salvador POS was living with his grandmother and probably sank into darkness during the covid lockdowns.

- Simon and Garfunkel
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

asher2789 wrote: May 25th, '22, 15:59
deadheadskier wrote: May 25th, '22, 05:45
boston_e wrote: May 24th, '22, 19:13 When one party resists any sort of gun reform and doesn’t want to spend on mental health services this is what we end up with. It’s essentially part of our culture at this point.
There is no gun control law that would do any good in these situations and it is a waste of time considering it. Also, that's BS about mental health services. We need to do better with red flags and intervene sooner.
Gun control laws don't work? Then why are these mass shooting events almost exclusively happening in only one first world country - the USA? They are very rare almost anywhere else in the developed world.

Even without doing a thing about guns, let's start by banning civilian ownership of tactical gear. Both the Buffalo and Texas shooters were wearing such. Maybe the armed guard in Buffalo could have taken out the shooter had he not been wearing that armor.

There are some Republicans interested in improving access to healthcare including mental health services, but they are a quiet minority to be certain. Almost every Democrat loudly campaigns on Universal Healthcare. Almost every Republican campaigns on the second amendment. There is a major difference between the two parties on both these topics.
gun control laws dont work in a country that already has more guns than people. your comparison is apples to oranges. the genie left the lamp decades+ ago on that.

as for body armor, why should we ban that? so that marginalized people who are attacked by fascists dont have access to methods of self defense? were on the cusp of a civil war and liberals want to ban the only things that will save them. its incredible how stupid this is. youll want body armor and guns when these nutjobs who make guns their whole personality come after you when dear leader tells them its righteous to murder liberals as theyre subhuman anyways. if you think it cant happen here youre incredibly naive and not paying attention to growing extremism exclusively from the fascist far right.

also, texas shooter wasnt wearing armor, there were PUSSY ASS COPS already there armed to the teeth who did nothing but watch a bunch of children get murdered instead of being the so called "good guys with guns".

as a marginalized person - far leftist, lesbian, gender nonconforming and jewish - i am 110% pro 2A with reasonable regulations. reasonable to me is mandatory waiting periods (with an exception for victims of domestic violence/filing an order of protection), background checks with no loopholes, mandatory gun safety classes, mandatory gun safes, storing ammo and guns separately. most gun violence is crimes of passion, suicides and accidents. you cant stop these psycho mass shooters with gun legislation. what sensible gun legislation will do is prevent most of the impulsive violence and accidents, which is what the majority of deaths attributed to guns stem from despite mass shooters getting tons of media attention that makes the public think otherwise. waiting periods alone would be a huge help for crimes of passion/suicides as those are products of impulsiveness, and being forced to wait and think it out might change the gun purchaser's plans. of course if theres a will, theres a way, regardless of guns.

these psychos are a symptom of CAPITALISM making people f*** insane as they struggle to survive, not because we have too many guns. we have a mental health crisis, but putting these psychos in insane asylums is merely a bandaid solution. the US leads the world in violent nutjobs, and that is because we are the ONLY country to not have universal healthcare and a social safety net that actually catches people instead of making them jump through firey hoops while throwing cork 7s to get benefits.
We are in agreement on the gun law suggestions.

On the tactical armor thing? You try very hard in almost every single post you make to show yourself as some sorta badass who has overcome great struggle. It's somewhat embarrassing to watch and often annoying to read and honestly childish for a woman of your age. The vast majority of people have had to go through hardship and often continue to do so to survive. You're unexceptionable just like everyone else. As badass as you think you are, settle the F Down GI Jane. I'm not naive and do realize like you say, that a government can turn on it's people. If that happens, the lucky survive, not the Gravy Seals.

But if you insist on that? Then I insist on private tactical nuke ownership. Same logic
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Tucker Carlson had a good segment on this tonight. Eye opening. You can hate him but he does ask interesting perspectives

- Simon and Garfunkel