Enough

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: Enough

Post by deadheadskier »

They're self centered. It is the primary tenet of being a Republican for virtually everything.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

This ever repeating tragedy from gun violence now last night in Lewiston really hits close to home for me.

For those who do not know, I sell Anesthesia machines and Cardiac Monitors for a living. Every single operating room at both hospitals in the city has my equipment in it. Perhaps all of it in use at this moment treating gun shot victims. I've worked with dozens of the Drs and nurses using that equipment. They've seen a lot before, but never this I'm certain. No one ever should.

I can't imagine their horror and pain, but I'll see it in their eyes I'm sure for as long as I have a working relationship with them.

We all just have to live with the madness I guess. Doesn't seem we have the will to do better.
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

So, Republicans, where were the good guys with guns last night in Maine? Maine has some of the most lax carry laws in the country, but again, no good guy with a gun to stop this.

You keep voting for representation that wants to guarantee you access to weapons of war ostensibly because you think that's the best answer to this problem and national embarrassment.

Blood on your hands again. You don't care
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Yes, blood on Republicans hands. MAGA GOP inspired lunatic

https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/statu ... ozCgesExpw
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

He spent two weeks in a mental health facility over the summer and still has his guns. That is a big problem.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

daytripper wrote: Oct 26th, '23, 10:27 He spent two weeks in a mental health facility over the summer and still has his guns. That is a big problem.
Federal law generally prohibits possession of firearms / ammunition by people who have been found by a court to be a danger to themselves. This also applies to folks that have been involuntarily hospitalized or committed to a mental health facility. Probably need more information here, but Federal law does not require private sellers to initiate a background check prior to sale of a firearm.

As someone intimately familiar with mental health, it's uncommon for a court to find an individual as a danger to themselves. Even if the person is determined a danger, upon completing in/out patient programs, this designation can be removed. Finally, not all facilities follow protocol due to the paperwork/time involved.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Oct 26th, '23, 10:55
daytripper wrote: Oct 26th, '23, 10:27 He spent two weeks in a mental health facility over the summer and still has his guns. That is a big problem.
Federal law generally prohibits possession of firearms / ammunition by people who have been found by a court to be a danger to themselves. This also applies to folks that have been involuntarily hospitalized or committed to a mental health facility. Probably need more information here, but Federal law does not require private sellers to initiate a background check prior to sale of a firearm.

As someone intimately familiar with mental health, it's uncommon for a court to find an individual as a danger to themselves. Even if the person is determined a danger, upon completing in/out patient programs, this designation can be removed. Finally, not all facilities follow protocol due to the paperwork/time involved.
And that is a big problem. I would expect that almost all of these mass shooters are mentally unstable. Most of them are probably undiagnosed making it much more difficult, but this guy was in a mental health facility over the summer. He shouldn't have been in possession of a gun. Private sellers not needing to do a background check needs to change too.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

daytripper wrote: Oct 26th, '23, 11:40
XtremeJibber2001 wrote: Oct 26th, '23, 10:55

And that is a big problem. I would expect that almost all of these mass shooters are mentally unstable. Most of them are probably undiagnosed making it much more difficult, but this guy was in a mental health facility over the summer. He shouldn't have been in possession of a gun. Private sellers not needing to do a background check needs to change too.
Agree with you.

We don't know the details of his stay at the mental health facility. If it was voluntary, there's no way a court deemed him to be a danger to himself/others. If it was involuntary, he likely met with a judge and had to meet certain conditions upon release. I'm guessing, prior to his release, he was deemed not a danger. This is all anecdotal based on my experience with these facilities.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

The hard part about this is sorting wheat from chaff. It's easy to do after a shooting. But how do you reliably determine that someone is too mentally ill to exercise 2nd amendment rights? And what's the mechanism for enforcement?

I think we should take a page out of Japan's book and require regular mental health screenings to own a firearm.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

easyrider16 wrote: Oct 26th, '23, 15:22 The hard part about this is sorting wheat from chaff. It's easy to do after a shooting. But how do you reliably determine that someone is too mentally ill to exercise 2nd amendment rights? And what's the mechanism for enforcement?

I think we should take a page out of Japan's book and require regular mental health screenings to own a firearm.
There are nowhere near enough mental health professionals right now. Good luck.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

I think there should be a goal of creating, training and hiring enough mental health workers to spend more time with youth in school starting in the first grade. An hour per semester, per child. Federally funded. All the way through highschool and then make those same services available insurance or not until the child is 20. Then beyond on an eligibility basis based on prior diagnosis.

Take a more preventive approach to mental health and remove the stigma in ensuing generations. So many people who need these services don't seek them in adulthood.

It would take a long time to get to full employment, but figure out the cost (how much it takes to get to full employment) and make the education highly affordable.

If you think about it, outside of the home it's pretty much our teachers who act as mental health counselors for our youth. The good ones do it out of their hearts, but none have the level of training needed to make a difference. If we teach our kids that it's okay to speak about any pain they're having and the importance of your mental health just as much as your physical health; then maybe we have future generations of adults who seek the help they need because they've been raised that it's okay and they have learned the signs.

I think taking that approach would have immeasurable impact well beyond the investment towards the overall health and emotional intelligence of our society. That would truly help reduce violence of all kinds.

No will to spend the money. Cheaper to buy a gun and protect mine.
Low Rider
Black Carver

Post by Low Rider »

deadheadskier wrote: Oct 26th, '23, 20:14 I think there should be a goal of creating, training and hiring enough mental health workers to spend more time with youth in school starting in the first grade. An hour per semester, per child. Federally funded. All the way through highschool and then make those same services available insurance or not until the child is 20. Then beyond on an eligibility basis based on prior diagnosis.

Take a more preventive approach to mental health and remove the stigma in ensuing generations. So many people who need these services don't seek them in adulthood.

It would take a long time to get to full employment, but figure out the cost (how much it takes to get to full employment) and make the education highly affordable.

If you think about it, outside of the home it's pretty much our teachers who act as mental health counselors for our youth. The good ones do it out of their hearts, but none have the level of training needed to make a difference. If we teach our kids that it's okay to speak about any pain they're having and the importance of your mental health just as much as your physical health; then maybe we have future generations of adults who seek the help they need because they've been raised that it's okay and they have learned the signs.

I think taking that approach would have immeasurable impact well beyond the investment towards the overall health and emotional intelligence of our society. That would truly help reduce violence of all kinds.

No will to spend the money. Cheaper to buy a gun and protect mine.
Republicans are actually actively campaigning against this type of emotional support / learning. Evidently it is "woke", takes away "parental rights" and not "sticking to the basics".
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

I know they are. These jerks are vehemently against the idea that gun control will help some and that it's all about mental health (or not going to church 😐), yet I have never seen a bill designed to address mental health introduced by Republicans. And I'm sure they'd shoot down any bill by the Democrats for "costing too much."
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

deadheadskier wrote: Oct 26th, '23, 20:14No will to spend the money. Cheaper to buy a gun and protect mine.
Cheaper to reinstate the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994. Let time pass. Reassess mass shootings once enough data is available.

deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Well, I think the overall lethality of what is acceptable for the citizenry to possess in general needs to be looked at an revised, but I never see it happening.

Heck, if anything I expect the gun lobby to push for even MORE lethal weaponry. Got have a bigger gun for all them illegals invading and for when the government turns on us!!