Election 2022

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
boston_e
Postaholic

Re: Election 2022

Post by boston_e »

Dickc wrote: Nov 12th, '22, 09:14
boston_e wrote: Nov 11th, '22, 21:52
Dickc wrote: Nov 11th, '22, 21:23 I think its going to take another national election cycle or two to fine tune mail in voting. If nothing changes, the public will get riled up more and more at the delays. I would humbly suggest that mail in ballots need to be IN on the Sunday BEFORE election day so they can be sorted and verified in time FOR election day. I don't see a reason to have to wait for election day on the mail ins. The cut off should be two days before. It will not deny people the right to vote as they can go to the polls on election day if they do not return a mail in ballot.

OK people, flame me or agree with me. This is K Zone, and I'm sure we can come up with a way to make it work!
The rational for not counting them ahead of time is in case early results somehow leaked out and could potentially discourage some from voting If they think it is already over.
Please note I only mention the need to sort and verify they are valid. I implied, but did not say to count them on Election Day with all the others. My city has a pair of people opening verified mail in ballots, stacking them, and periodically going over to the counting machine and feeding them in.
Makes sense - and i agree… although as deadheadskier mentioend, there are plenty of valid reasons to accept absentee mail in until postmarked on Election Day.

Thinking about it though , I guess I don’t feel there is anything inherent in taking a longer time to count that implies anything fraudulent. (This is our there only because of trumps big lie). It would be nice to have earlier answers though.
Don't Killington Pico
deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by deadheadskier »

Simple solution. Have a voting deadline and a results day one week later. Election day is the last day to postmark mail in ballots and vote in person. One week later the results are announced.
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

deadheadskier wrote: Nov 12th, '22, 13:51 Simple solution. Have a voting deadline and a results day one week later. Election day is the last day to postmark mail in ballots and vote in person. One week later the results are announced.
HA!!! The press would go nuts. That might be fun to watch.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

deadheadskier wrote: Nov 12th, '22, 13:51 Simple solution. Have a voting deadline and a results day one week later. Election day is the last day to postmark mail in ballots and vote in person. One week later the results are announced.
Not so simple. Elections are run by the states.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Pretty sure the tradition of Election Day results is a relatively new thing…
ImageImageImageImage
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

Wonderful [/sarcasm], the Dems keep the Senate. Another two years of listening to whiny Chuck Schumer. I dislike the tone of his voice as no matter what he talks about he sounds like he is whining. I'm sure he means well, but....
Low Rider
Black Carver

Post by Low Rider »

Dickc wrote: Nov 13th, '22, 13:25 Wonderful [/sarcasm], the Dems keep the Senate. Another two years of listening to whiny Chuck Schumer. I dislike the tone of his voice as no matter what he talks about he sounds like he is whining. I'm sure he means well, but....
Is listening to Mitch McConnell really any better?

I actually am feeling optimistic (probably very naive of me) for divided government with narrow majorities. Maybe it is a chance for a reset for the middle 75% to take over.
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

Low Rider wrote: Nov 13th, '22, 14:07
Dickc wrote: Nov 13th, '22, 13:25 Wonderful [/sarcasm], the Dems keep the Senate. Another two years of listening to whiny Chuck Schumer. I dislike the tone of his voice as no matter what he talks about he sounds like he is whining. I'm sure he means well, but....
Is listening to Mitch McConnell really any better?

I actually am feeling optimistic (probably very naive of me) for divided government with narrow majorities. Maybe it is a chance for a reset for the middle 75% to take over.
Mitch has a more folksy type voice. Its not nearly as annoying. Sometimes the words ARE annoying however.
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

I agree that Chuck Schumer sucks but in the current political environment, a divided legislature is a pretty good result. It prevents either party from doing the many stupid things the extremists in their respective bases want them to do.

As for delayed election results, I don't understand why it matters that we don't get immediate results. The government doesn't shut down just because we don't know who will be in control in the next legislative session. I understand we live in a society where we have come to expect instant solutions to any problem we might have, but I would rather they get it right than that we get an immediate result.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

easyrider16 wrote: Nov 21st, '22, 07:28
I agree that Chuck Schumer sucks but in the current political environment, a divided legislature is a pretty good result. It prevents either party from doing the many stupid things the extremists in their respective bases want them to do.

As for delayed election results, I don't understand why it matters that we don't get immediate results. The government doesn't shut down just because we don't know who will be in control in the next legislative session. I understand we live in a society where we have come to expect instant solutions to any problem we might have, but I would rather they get it right than that we get an immediate result.
How fast did the country get election results before the telegraph was invented and wires strung across the country?

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

More voter fraud …

GOP congressman who questioned 2020 election results illegally voted in three elections: report

https://www.rawstory.com/gop-congressma ... elections/
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Mike Lindell questions DeSantis win.

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/3 ... elieve-it/

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald