Wet vs. Dry

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Wet vs. Dry

Post by Southside_Bobby »

We all dream of an ideal season of cold, wet weather. Lots of POW and no warmups.
We all fear a worst-case season, with record warm weather most of the winter.

But in between those two extremes, if you had to choose, would you rather have a season that is consistently dry and cold, but with no natural powder ...

Or a season filled with many wet warmups, along with some awesome hefty dumps in between?
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Re: Wet vs. Dry

Post by skiadikt »

pluses to both but think i prefer the cold and dry. we did have one of those a number of years back when we had about 6 weeks where the temps never got above freezing with no thaws. don't recall whether we got a lot of nat but what snow we had, stayed great.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

I'll take the ups and downs if it gets me off the groomers...don't mind stormchasing.
ImageImageImageImage
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Cold with no snow doesn't open the trees up and groomers get boring pretty quick if that is all you have.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

daytripper wrote: Dec 1st, '22, 12:35 Cold with no snow doesn't open the trees up and groomers get boring pretty quick if that is all you have.
https://vimeo.com/57964000
ImageImageImageImage
volklopposition
Green Skidder

Post by volklopposition »

I would take the powder route for sure
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

La Nina can really test the "wetter is better" mindset. Powder is certainly awesome. Never-ending warmup/refreeze cycles not so much.

It feels likely that, at some point, the wet and the cold will coincide, and we will hopefully have some major dumps this season. But we sure are paying the price for that increased likelihood.
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Be careful what you wish for when it comes to wet winters.
2024 - Killington lied.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

We're going to have more inches of r*in than snow this year. I prefer dry and cold.