Of course it's IKON

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Re: Of course it's IKON

Post by Captain Hafski »

FWIW: I live on Rte 100 [W. Bridgewater] just south of Rte 100. There has been a huge increase in skier/rider traffic past our house this year, especially Friday night and Saturday morning [non-holiday]. That is direct result of increased Ikon at K.

As I don't stay at the K condos, I wasn't aware of the shuttle bus situation. From what I am reading here, I gotta believe that is also a big factor especially on Saturdays.

I also take a "reconnasaince lap" every Saturday, with my wife, after our Bridgewater trash run. Normally about 11:00 or so. Never seen Pico, Skyeship, and K lots/access road so full. It's my Saturday morning entertainment.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Captain Hafski wrote: Feb 15th, '23, 11:04 FWIW: I live on Rte 100 [W. Bridgewater] just south of Rte 100. There has been a huge increase in skier/rider traffic past our house this year, especially Friday night and Saturday morning [non-holiday]. That is direct result of increased Ikon at K.

As I don't stay at the K condos, I wasn't aware of the shuttle bus situation. From what I am reading here, I gotta believe that is also a big factor especially on Saturdays.

I also take a "reconnasaince lap" every Saturday, with my wife, after our Bridgewater trash run. Normally about 11:00 or so. Never seen Pico, Skyeship, and K lots/access road so full. It's my Saturday morning entertainment.
MG parking lots have been as busy as I've ever seen them. This has been ongoing for a few seasons now. Can be tough finding a parking spot if you arrive late night on Friday.
ImageImageImageImage
winter
Blue Chatterbox

Post by winter »

I don't think people are hearing and reading the level of information that is being put out by the resort and their real estate partners which are changing to an entirely new company in April.

Now, time will tell if what they're discussing will come to fruition.

But the new people charged with developing the resort are life-long skiers and have skied here for decades.

Underground parking for the village residents / visitors.

A new high-speed quad or six pack near the current Snowshed double line to get people from Snowshed and village to the base of the mountain.

New Snowshed and Ramshead lodges with equal grading between the two with the road going underground.

A new Killington access road that gets rid of the steep hill off of Route 4.

Not an immediate discussion of the interconnect (could have missed it).

It seems like a lot of this discussion will change and / or be moot in the coming years.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

winter wrote: Feb 15th, '23, 11:12 I don't think people are hearing and reading the level of information that is being put out by the resort and their real estate partners which are changing to an entirely new company in April.

But the new people charged with developing the resort are life-long skiers and have skied here for decades.

A new high-speed quad or six pack near the current Snowshed double line to get people from Snowshed and village to the base of the mountain.

New Snowshed and Ramshead lodges with equal grading between the two with the road going underground.

It seems like a lot of this discussion will change and / or be moot in the coming years.
Interesting that the interconnect isn't a linch pin in the whole thing, i would think that it would create a huge buzz and increase prices of the new real estate. Beside's Chirs Diamond in his book Ski Inc said that Pico on it's own "doesn't pencil" which means it doesn't make money which isn't hard to believe. And yeah I know, "I hope they never connect whah, whah, whah!" and I don't disagree, Pico is gem the way that it is.

Regardless, they've been talking about this village for 50 years now, by the time it ever gets built, it will be too warm to ski in VT anyway. This winter will surely break another record for warmth, rainfall, and lack of snow. If it was this warm and rainy in VT in 1958 before the advent of snowmaking, Pres Smith would have never been able to build Killington.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
GlenPLake
Green Skidder

Post by GlenPLake »

Here is the podcast with all the recent details and a few words from Mike S as well at the end.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2RhRNRhkKD0nBuBKArdgZk

Based on the comments here, most folks are not current on the details that have been released.
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

KingsFourMan wrote: Feb 15th, '23, 12:44
winter wrote: Feb 15th, '23, 11:12 I don't think people are hearing and reading the level of information that is being put out by the resort and their real estate partners which are changing to an entirely new company in April.

Interesting that the interconnect isn't a linch pin in the whole thing, i would think that it would create a huge buzz and increase prices of the new real estate. Beside's Chirs Diamond in his book Ski Inc said that Pico on it's own "doesn't pencil" which means it doesn't make money which isn't hard to believe. And yeah I know, "I hope they never connect whah, whah, whah!" and I don't disagree, Pico is gem the way that it is.

Regardless, they've been talking about this village for 50 years now, by the time it ever gets built, it will be too warm to ski in VT anyway. This winter will surely break another record for warmth, rainfall, and lack of snow. If it was this warm and rainy in VT in 1958 before the advent of snowmaking, Pres Smith would have never been able to build Killington.

The mountain biking is going to be off the hook
twilkas
Tree Psycho

Post by twilkas »

GlenPLake wrote: Feb 15th, '23, 13:13 Here is the podcast with all the recent details and a few words from Mike S as well at the end.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/2RhRNRhkKD0nBuBKArdgZk

Based on the comments here, most folks are not current on the details that have been released.
Enjoyed the commentary, thanks for posting that you Mohawk wearing savage. (kidding, ima big plake fan!)
no hard hitting questions of course, but a good opportunity to hear Sneyd, he's actually a true mountain enthusiast.
Mike S with a segment late, just good to hear it in their voices.
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Of course it's IKON

Post by Southside_Bobby »

IKON Saturdays are back!
Remind me again what Killington passholders get out of this arrangement.
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
fdskier56
Blue Chatterbox

Post by fdskier56 »

Although us passholders have seen nothing yet

Maybe one day

All this money that Killington is getting

Will go towards new lifts?

But what year ??
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

Thankfully it isn’t 7 days each at Killington and Pico.
Don't Killington Pico
ejrides
Black Carver

Post by ejrides »

I was at Whiteface this past weekend, weather was just as spectacular as K, so what was missing? Crowds. No long lift lines like I've seen at the IKON & Epic mountains. Speaking to a few locals, they've all commented on how crowds have gone down since all the other mountains have gone mega-pass.
Skid Mark
Green Skidder

Post by Skid Mark »

Southside_Bobby wrote: Feb 3rd, '24, 14:24 IKON Saturdays are back!
A mountain that is solvent and profitable.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Skid Mark wrote: Feb 6th, '24, 08:41
Southside_Bobby wrote: Feb 3rd, '24, 14:24 IKON Saturdays are back!
A mountain that is solvent and profitable.
And has infrastructure that is falling apart! Snowmaking pipe that is literally crumbling. Lifts that should have been replaced a decade ago. Where are those profits going?
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Can we arrange a sit in and block Killington Road Saturday morning? See you all at the Lookout at 7:30?
ImageImageImageImage
Skid Mark
Green Skidder

Post by Skid Mark »

Stormchaser wrote: Feb 6th, '24, 09:46 Can we arrange a sit in and block Killington Road Saturday morning? See you all at the Lookout at 7:30?
Great idea. We can protest fossil fuels at the same time!!!