Next Season's Ski Digs?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

snowsprite wrote:Actually, what does one do with nice accommodations? I mean, other than have sex in them, sleep, go to the bathroom, take a shower and maybe eat something (you be quiet, Stormchaser)? Is there something else involved?

I'm just curious because my husband is not Thurston and I'm not Muffy. But I'd really like to know how the beautiful people live and what they do in really nice places. It must be lovely.
Thanks!

Sprite
:bite my tongue:
ImageImageImageImage
Vinny Vincenzo
Wanted Poster

Post by Vinny Vincenzo »

Hal U. Dewin wrote:
andyzee wrote:Not sure, been doing the Hotel/Motel route for the past few years. May look into joining a ski club with a lodge up in the area, or renting a house/condo with a friend that has just purchased his first pass for K, or back to the motel route.

and you're worried about sticky icky at my place? Bring your own sheets and towels and I'll give you a discount.....$300 a night.
That's mountain side at the 'Bush? What is your going rate? Will they give me a discount for my K Pass?
Stormin_Aussie
Bumper

Post by Stormin_Aussie »

Stormchaser wrote:My ski house that I rented this year was sold by the owner and is not available for next year...I gotta find new digs. Some place with a hot tub, that is booze, drug, and chick friendly...
Were you at Pico? Three bedroom? Just wondering because friends of mine from NJ bought one over there maybe two months or so ago! There are a number of Pico units available for purchase right now and I may even know of one for rent for the winter season... I have a few ski houses and condos that are available for winter season rentals. PM me if you are interested!
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

i'm seriously thinking about the minivan this year. i have 3 colleges and 3 weddings to pay for in my future so i don't think i'll be renting Pres Smith's old bachelor bad too much this season. hopefully by the time the youngest is up and running we will have something built but until then i'm thinking the minivan DOWN BY THE RIVER!
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
SkiPutt
Slalom Racer

Re: Next Season's Ski Digs?

Post by SkiPutt »

Dr. NO wrote:
SkiPutt wrote:
KingsFourMan wrote:What will your ski digs be next season? ski house share, own a house or condo, rent short term, hotels & motels, parking lot? what will it be?
We are in the place in Rutland Town that we'v been staying at for the past 7 winters, it is exactly 20 minutes to KBL. Big difference this year is that we now OWN it!! Yaaa :lol:
HEY, congrats. when is the owner party, the 4th? We should start a new thread so we can ask all the stupid question I get all the time. How is the house coming? did you get that thinggy fixed? i heard you were having touble with....! did they fix that?

Anyway, Congrats. Hope the house is going well and that your back is getting better.
We'll be up next Friday for a few days. :) My back is healing nicely, thank you. PT starts Monday!
Atomic1
Level 10K poster

Post by Atomic1 »

SkiPutt wrote:
Dr. NO wrote:
SkiPutt wrote:
KingsFourMan wrote:What will your ski digs be next season? ski house share, own a house or condo, rent short term, hotels & motels, parking lot? what will it be?
We are in the place in Rutland Town that we'v been staying at for the past 7 winters, it is exactly 20 minutes to KBL. Big difference this year is that we now OWN it!! Yaaa :lol:
HEY, congrats. when is the owner party, the 4th? We should start a new thread so we can ask all the stupid question I get all the time. How is the house coming? did you get that thinggy fixed? i heard you were having touble with....! did they fix that?

Anyway, Congrats. Hope the house is going well and that your back is getting better.
We'll be up next Friday for a few days. :) My back is healing nicely, thank you. PT starts Monday!
Are you the one that skis with the sticks attached in back?> :D
Congrats!!Sounds like everythings fine!!
pizzamoose
Slalom Racer

Post by pizzamoose »

snowsprite wrote:I'd really like to know how the beautiful people live and what they do in really nice places. It must be lovely.
It's not about what you do, it's about the quality of your surroundings. THe comfort level is much higher, and so are the amenities.

This, of course, is contrary to the gritty culture that most of us prefer when we ski (we'd rather drop that extra $2000 on ski gear) - but when I'm out of town on business, I always try to stay in a nice hotel. I didn't used to be this way, but I got a $90/night rate at the Ritz Carlton in New Orleans two years ago, and was forever spoiled. These days I stay at Starwood hotels - Westin or W when available, otherwise Sheraton - and with Amex points, I really get excellent rates on these hotels ($45/night, usually.)

In fact, this Christmas at Whistler I'm staying at the Westin Resort & Spa there. Rooms (suites only) start at $400/night give or take and I'm getting in for $65. http://www.westinwhistler.com/.

You haven't slept until you've slept in a Westin heavenly bed... mmmm..
snowsprite
Post Office

Post by snowsprite »

Wow, how'd you get that rate pizza? Priceline?

Sprite
I like wine.
pizzamoose
Slalom Racer

Post by pizzamoose »

snowsprite wrote:Wow, how'd you get that rate pizza? Priceline?

Sprite
Starwood Preferred Guest..
It's actually about $65/night (for 7 nights) + about 1 month's worth of amex points earned per night...

So for the week, I'm dropping 7 months of hard work spendin' money on my Amex card, plus $455
mogulmouse
Powderhound

Post by mogulmouse »

hmmm next seasons ski digs hmmmmmm

OH YEA - parents condo in sunrise maybe! ski in ski out! Right at the end of the lot near the ski trail..... mmmmmmmm that'll work!

And all that "free" fire wood too boot 8) :lol:
Ski-N-Sail
Wanted Poster

Post by Ski-N-Sail »

pizzamoose wrote:
snowsprite wrote:I'd really like to know how the beautiful people live and what they do in really nice places. It must be lovely.
It's not about what you do, it's about the quality of your surroundings. THe comfort level is much higher, and so are the amenities.

This, of course, is contrary to the gritty culture that most of us prefer when we ski (we'd rather drop that extra $2000 on ski gear) - but when I'm out of town on business, I always try to stay in a nice hotel. I didn't used to be this way, but I got a $90/night rate at the Ritz Carlton in New Orleans two years ago, and was forever spoiled. These days I stay at Starwood hotels - Westin or W when available, otherwise Sheraton - and with Amex points, I really get excellent rates on these hotels ($45/night, usually.)

In fact, this Christmas at Whistler I'm staying at the Westin Resort & Spa there. Rooms (suites only) start at $400/night give or take and I'm getting in for $65. http://www.westinwhistler.com/.

You haven't slept until you've slept in a Westin heavenly bed... mmmm..
When I traveled regularly with work, I usually stayed at the Mariott Courtyard. They were the most consistent hotel from location to location in that price range. They were clean, good bed, free local calls (back when I was on Dial UP that was important), and I always enjoyed their breakfast buffet.
SkiPutt
Slalom Racer

Post by SkiPutt »

Atomic1 wrote:
SkiPutt wrote:
Dr. NO wrote:
SkiPutt wrote:

Are you the one that skis with the sticks attached in back?> :D
Congrats!!Sounds like everythings fine!!
Yup! They work great for those of us who are physicaly challenged :) http://www.cads.com
snowsprite
Post Office

Post by snowsprite »

Whenever we have traveled, I've been happiest in very artsy and/or very unique surroundings. For example, I love the paramount hotel in NYC. Very sparse and very cool--breathtakingly minimalist. The rooms are all white, no chachka. The beds are on the floor. The windows are HUGE (I'm guessing 5 foot by 4 foot) and you look out at night and see all those lights...

In Puerto Rico we stayed at the Hilton Caribe, the hotel where the Pina Colada was supposedly invented. We had a garden suite and peacocks would wander in and out of our room when we left the door open. When you enter the hotel you can see right through to the ocean and a breeze is always blowing through the lobby. I still want to go back!

In Mexico, we found this historic villa building with a courtyard in the middle. This sweet black cat would wander around and there were beautiful, lush plants everywhere. Gorgeous chipping pastel paint and wrought iron older than my grandma. No franchise opportunities there! :wink: But romantic and unique, it certainly was. I didn't feel it was opulent, but it had this other quality I loved. It was magical...and it was real.
8)
Sprite
I like wine.
Bling Skier
Postinator

Post by Bling Skier »

Hey strormchacer u have a house at "K"?
Geoff the sound a cat make as it coughs up a hairball.
Hal U. Dewin
Tree Psycho

Post by Hal U. Dewin »

snowsprite wrote:Actually, what does one do with nice accommodations? I mean, other than have sex in them, sleep, go to the bathroom, take a shower and maybe eat something (you be quiet, Stormchaser)? Is there something else involved?

I'm just curious because my husband is not Thurston and I'm not Muffy. But I'd really like to know how the beautiful people live and what they do in really nice places. It must be lovely.
Thanks!

Sprite
I dunno...why don't you poll the majority of americans (other than the ever increasing latino contingent, I think it's 5 to 1 now) and ask them? Of course there's something else involved...it's called the "experience". The vacation "experience" and people will pay more for them and their familes to ensure that thay have one in quality accomodations. C'mon sprite, this is america, look around you....you'll answer your own question. A lot has to do with seeing and being seen.

Take a look at the retail stocks that are propping up this listing economy....I'll give you a hint, it's not the redbacks spending their hard earned, untaxed dollars at Walmart.

Meanwhile the people on the other side of the equation (providing that experience) will enjoy greater investment appreciation, better rental income, increased flexibility to purchase other investments with their increased equity, and a reliable, qualified customer base.
shortski
:dis