Dorks knees

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

SkiDork
Site Admin

Dorks knees

Post by SkiDork »

Not sure what most of this means but I think it means they're f**ked. Going to replace right first which is the worse of the 2. Doc says it's beyond bone on bone, the bones are grinding into each other

Ordering Provider: William J Long

Ordering Diagnosis: Pain in both knees

AP lateral merchant bilateral knees 03/02/2023

There is severe bilateral knee osteoarthritis with bone-on-bone apposition in the medial compartments. There is remodeling of the subchondral surfaces and bony proliferative changes. There is chondrocalcinosis. There are intra-articular osteochondral bodies

IMPRESSION:

Severe bilateral knee osteoarthritis preferentially affecting the medial compartments (Kellgren-Lawrence grade 4).

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
Nikoli
Poster Child Poster

Re: Dorks knees

Post by Nikoli »

Essentially your knees on a grading scale have reached the highest level of deterioration.
"Kellgren-Lawrence grade 4". - This is the important bit from the radiology side of the house. I am assuming this was an MRI.
And the sea will grant each man new hope . . .
-Christopher Columbus
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

No just x rays

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Yikes, keep us posted …. no experience here other than what I've heard from others - I'm sure they’ll offer any other info that may be helpful for prepping before and after! You are in our thoughts that it all goes smoothly💕
ejrides
Black Carver

Post by ejrides »

HSS is a great choice based on my experience (and handful of friends as well). Good luck and hope it all goes well!
Aint2Old2Ski
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Aint2Old2Ski »

Yikes for sure. My husband has had both knees replaced; one in the fall of 2020, one last spring. He says every ski day this season has been better than the one before.

People are not shy about sharing how many folks they know that have had knees replaced. Because of that, we were caught a bit off-guard about the ease (or lack thereof) of the process. But even though the first one seemed like a tough road after the surgery, it wasn't so tough that he was skittish about doing the other one.

Good luck as you navigate this journey.
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

My buddy had his replaced in March 2021 and skied the following fall. He was 50ish when that happened and in good shape. He still skis 50 days a season.

you've got this!
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA - 31

Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
Nikoli
Poster Child Poster

Post by Nikoli »

Definitely get it done! It will improve your quality of life and that is what modern medicine is all about. Even if you never ski again, it's worth it.
And the sea will grant each man new hope . . .
-Christopher Columbus
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

Thanks for the good wishes. I'm definitely doing them and definitely going to ski afterwards I look forward to being able to ski more than 4 runs and being able to ski powder.

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

had mine done april 2018, so my 5 yr anniv is coming up. interestingly i could ski and logged 100+ days prior to the surgery, just couldn't walk. skied the following season and have continued to log 100 days since. if you read my reports, you know i ski everything.

i'm sure everyone's experience is different, but while it doesn't effect me skiing, i do experience a "stiffness" at times and still ice every night. ride the exer bike and use the bosu ball every morning (get a bosu ball). in my case, the replaced knee feels "different" than the unreplaced knee. also my surgeon recommended taking it easy in the bumps & trees. oh well ...

also think the recovery is much quicker, the stronger the leg/knee is prior to surgery. as far as post-op pain goes - had none. took one oxy when the block wore off. the in-home PT guy did have me take one before each session. but pain was a non-issue. played golf 5 weeks later. do it. it's life changing.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Go get 'em Dork. Hoping you are back quickly !

Decapitator is waiting for you.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

[Dork sneeze]

Gesundheit!
ImageImageImageImage
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

Thanks again. I hear the reports about the pow and I hear about the pow out west and I have to just sit back and lament I can't handle that stuff right now. Hopefully I'll be able to after they're replaced. Essentially all I can really handle is hard pack.

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
Finn
Postaholic

Post by Finn »

Dork I hope you get your surgery done and that everything heals quickly. Best of luck and let us know when you will have it.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

SkiDork wrote: Mar 8th, '23, 10:50 Thanks again. I hear the reports about the pow and I hear about the pow out west and I have to just sit back and lament I can't handle that stuff right now. Hopefully I'll be able to after they're replaced. Essentially all I can really handle is hard pack.

ImageImage

Hang in there - when you get back up to speed reward yourself with a little trip out west. There's the reward!