Timing of Killington Forward

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

rogman
Postinator

Re: Timing of Killington Forward

Post by rogman »

I wouldn’t expect Killington to do much until after the sale goes through.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

If I was going to plunk down $2.4 million dollars on a property at a ski resort, it wouldn't be in the parking lot of Bear. It wouldn't be in the parking lot of Snowshed either. To each their own.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
GlenPLake
Green Skidder

Post by GlenPLake »

Proximity to the lifts is what drives rentals prices, so many buyers will want to be located as close to the bottom lift terminals as possible. While being on a ski trail is actually more desirable in many ways, unless you are directly able to ski onto a green trail, the ski in/out benefit is lost on many beginners/families.
wtf021
Blue Chatterbox

Post by wtf021 »

If I was going to pay $2,490,000 I wouldn’t want to be next to the ghetto ski on/off rentals along Great Eastern.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Let's hope whatever they build to replace RH and Snowshed places functionality over form. I'm not holding my breath. For the first time in the 30 or so years I've been going to K I actually fully walked around the inside of the Snowshed Lodge this weekend. I've gone in to warm up, use the facilities and go upstairs to Longtrail but never walked around. I was absolutely blown away at the sheer space you can sit down on every floor. It was getting close to lunchtime on one of the busiest days of the year and I'd say 50% of the tables were still free. In the limited time I've spent in the new K-1 I didn't feel as though they added that much table space. It's all taken up by one amenity or the other. When you have kids space is key so even though Snowshed and definitely RH are getting long in the tooth: they have tons of space. Hopefully they get it right.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

K1 definitely added a lot of table space, but the flip side is that it's much more popular than the old lodge, which filled up all that space and pulled away traffic from the other lodges. I normally use Bear for lunch now, which is noticeably less busy than when they had the old K1 Lodge.
Skid Mark
Green Skidder

Post by Skid Mark »

Gotta love the people who grab the couches at K-1 and camp out there all day... some even lay down and catch a nap while people wander around looking for a place to sit.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

All after shelling out $150 for a ticket.
Eddytheyetti
Green Skidder

Post by Eddytheyetti »

newpylong1 wrote:All after shelling out $150 for a ticket.
I think a lot of people who grab the couches and well positioned tables don’t actually buy lift tickets, they just camp there to watch their friends or kids etc… maybe killington is missing out on selling a lodge only ticket. It happens at the peak as well, although I am guessing they are at least buying a scenic gondola ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

newpylong1 wrote: Feb 1st, '24, 17:51 Typically work like that does not begin until things dry out and that's usually late May or early June on the mountain. By that point, as we know it never dried out but got worse and it likely was a lost cause. Is what it is regardless of reason.
So to compare 3 projects,

The water project has a project sign, equipment running up the hill, silt fence installed, materials delivered. Porta Potty for the crew. Things are happening.
On a lot above Ravine Road, an excavator and crew is currently doing site work for a new house.
At Base Camp Bear, there is no project sign, no work being done. No materials. It just doesn't have that "something's going on" look to it.
wtf021
Blue Chatterbox

Post by wtf021 »

Mister Moose wrote: Feb 8th, '24, 19:04
newpylong1 wrote: Feb 1st, '24, 17:51 Typically work like that does not begin until things dry out and that's usually late May or early June on the mountain. By that point, as we know it never dried out but got worse and it likely was a lost cause. Is what it is regardless of reason.
So to compare 3 projects,

The water project has a project sign, equipment running up the hill, silt fence installed, materials delivered. Porta Potty for the crew. Things are happening.
On a lot above Ravine Road, an excavator and crew is currently doing site work for a new house.
At Base Camp Bear, there is no project sign, no work being done. No materials. It just doesn't have that "something's going on" look to it.
There is an advertising/future site sign for Base Camp Bear along Bear Cub.
Killington_Lover
Slalom Racer

Post by Killington_Lover »

I can’t imagine them doing any excavating or site work there since they still let us park in that side lot. I don’t think they will touch it until bear is done for the season.
Ski It If You Can!..
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Yes, as mentioned they can't begin until Bear is done. All of the utilities including 4 pipes (Woodward feed, Falls Brook feed, Bear Cub air/water) have to be shifted as well as the Bear Cub trail itself through there. Until Bear/Sunrise is closed and dried out and all of that stuff deemed acceptable to move, I don't think you will see much done. The ACT 250 application goes into great detail of the different construction phases. Hopefully they get moving late Spring.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

I find it difficult to believe all those air/water pipes will be moved in one off season:(
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

Baring any major setback, that shouldn't even be a Vermont summers worth of work.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs