Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Low Rider
Black Carver

Re: Timing of Killington Forward

Post by Low Rider »

Bubba wrote: Jan 16th, '24, 10:25
Big Bob wrote: Jan 16th, '24, 06:26 New article about the village:

https://vtskiandride.com/vermonts-next- ... rfMTy4whME
Good article that answers one of my questions. The main concern, however, is the dependence on remote parking and shuttles and that’s going to be an issue for every day and local skier.
Out of curiosity - what was the question that it answered for you?

Remote parking / shuttles are a pretty big concern indeed.

A "ski beach" to soak up the sun on spring days? So Snowshed slope is going to be the spring skiing central after this? :shock: :roll: This is what the umbrella bar is for.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Low Rider wrote: Jan 16th, '24, 12:12
Bubba wrote: Jan 16th, '24, 10:25
Big Bob wrote: Jan 16th, '24, 06:26 New article about the village:

https://vtskiandride.com/vermonts-next- ... rfMTy4whME
Good article that answers one of my questions. The main concern, however, is the dependence on remote parking and shuttles and that’s going to be an issue for every day and local skier.
Out of curiosity - what was the question that it answered for you?

Remote parking / shuttles are a pretty big concern indeed.

A "ski beach" to soak up the sun on spring days? So Snowshed slope is going to be the spring skiing central after this? :shock: :roll: This is what the umbrella bar is for.
Ever since Irene hit and caused the Snowshed pond to overflow (among other water related damage to the Snowshed/Ramshead parking lots) the concept of a base area village has had to include (or should've included) ways to mitigate potential flooding from the pond as well as from water running down the mountain. None of the SP Land village concept pictures or discussions ever addressed this issue. The new drawings from Great Gulf show a building directly adjacent to the pond which, without mitigation, would be a sitting duck for water. This seems to have been addressed now according to the article.

On the other hand, the dependence on underground parking requires some serious consideration of how to keep water running down the mountain from entering and flooding said parking areas. I'm sure the architects will deal with this, but water has to go somewhere. If they divert around the base area village, they could be causing new issues further downstream.

The architectural firm and designers are obviously very experienced and must be aware of all these issues and more so I assume they have effective plans to protect against flooding. I'm interested in how this will all play out in the Act 250 process as well as in whatever revised permits must be issued by the Town. In any case, it's not my problem as I don't live near Snowshed any longer.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Low Rider
Black Carver

Post by Low Rider »

Hopefully it does not all end up as corporate and generic feeling as the new lodge.... and that it does not end up requiring shuttle busses and remote parking to get to the slopes.
Killington_Lover
Slalom Racer

Post by Killington_Lover »

Non-villagers will love the long trek from the new lodge to Ramshead hsq or the aging yan retrofit hsq at snowshed of course after getting on a shuttle at some unknown remote parking lot. We can look forward to $20 beers at the crystal beach. Killington, where we care more about the lodges than the lifts. Throw in a remote lift and ski trail like a cabriolet or something and now we’re talking. I can’t even imagine displacing all that parking and the cluster F it will become to catch a bus.
Ski It If You Can!..
simpletwist
Blue Chatterbox

Post by simpletwist »

Remote parking is going in near Mary Lou's and I believe they will start clearing trees in the spring...
wtf021
Blue Chatterbox

Post by wtf021 »

This picture is from one of the permit applications.
Attachments
Parking.PNG
Parking.PNG (535.15 KiB) Viewed 1017 times
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

The revised ACT 250 permit application was supposed to be submitted by the end of January, if it happened it's not yet listed in their database.

They are hoping to get ACT 250 approval and start construction in the Spring of 2025 which is likely highly optimistic given how slow and rigorous that process is despite this being an amendment. The Spring of 2026 is probably wishful thinking. We'll see.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Base Camp Bear has pushed out another year:

"Construction of the first phase of Base Camp homes is planned to begin in the spring of 2024 with the delivery of completed homes starting in the fall of 2025. "

Could it be the list of folks willing to plunk down 2.4 mil isn't that large? If so, there's a lesson for Great Gulf there.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

That much is obvious as no site work was completed this year. But as I understand it, it's not a sales issue - no one would commit to doing anything this year due to contractor shortage with all the flooding. The first step for the Base Camp is removing the Fiddle Quad base terminal and then shifting Bear Cub and all of the snowmaking and utilities running through the affected area. Until that's done, nothing else can be done.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

A lot of clearing and burning was done this fall. You can now see the bottom Fiddle terminal from the parking lot.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

newpylong1 wrote: Feb 1st, '24, 09:20 That much is obvious as no site work was completed this year. But as I understand it, it's not a sales issue - no one would commit to doing anything this year due to contractor shortage with all the flooding. The first step for the Base Camp is removing the Fiddle Quad base terminal and then shifting Bear Cub and all of the snowmaking and utilities running through the affected area. Until that's done, nothing else can be done.
I'd tend to believe that more if work started on moving pipes and deconstructing the DF terminal in April, May, or June. Or the first week of July. There's some other reason they didn't get started then.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Typically work like that does not begin until things dry out and that's usually late May or early June on the mountain. By that point, as we know it never dried out but got worse and it likely was a lost cause. Is what it is regardless of reason.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

I'm aware of the difficulties trenching in April in perched water tables. Is the replacement pipe on site? Why wasn't the terminal removed?

Why wasn't the pipe work done last fall?

These are clues to something other than July 2023 flooding.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Well they also didn't receive their ACT 250 until the last day of May. Can't do anything prior to that.