Timing of Killington Forward

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Re: Timing of Killington Forward

Post by KingsFourMan »

MrsG wrote: Oct 23rd, '23, 18:16 Re concerns during construction - I posted earlier, but have not seen - hoping that West Hill Road, which is extremely steep and dangerous during snow and wet events, will get some serious upgrading before the Acces Road is redirected!
I haven't heard of any planned upgrade of West Hill Rd have you? I highly doubt that is in the works, that would be a monumental undertaking.

Have you heard that the plan is to close the lower section of the access road for the phase 1 road construction and divert to West Hill? Seems logical, other than the concerns you raised, I just haven't seen or heard that yet.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Wasn't west hill rd repaved a couple years ago?
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

newpylong1 wrote: Oct 23rd, '23, 13:15 These are all reasons why I am thankful that I come from the East...
My sentiments exactly. I avoid the basin like the plague. Have always preferred parking at Bear, the Rt 4 gondola base or sniff, sniff, Sunrise Mountain (RIP)
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

I can't tell you the last time I drove to the basin. Actually I can, it was with the kids for a fall gondola ride last year lol. I haven't been early or late season in forever so that rules out parking there pretty much. Skyeship or Bear for me. I look forward to seeing the new layout this year in the SS lodge. I have heard it's going to be a work in progress for the next couple years.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Why would it be a work in progress for the next 2 years? At most it's a 2 summer project. They're not building a whole new lodge.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Use your brain.

Lodge floods in July, 4 feet of water in the basement. First the water source needs to fully stop, then you need to get Servpro in there to dry the place out for weeks. Then you need to decide WTF you're gonna even do to get the lodge open in time for the season. Someone decides this is a good time to undo the weird layout from 1994. Then you need to get a design done and approved, building materials ordered, anything else orders that was destroyed. How much time does that leave you to work with an already swamped local contractor base?

Again, just relaying what I heard, that whatever it is they are trying to achieve there will take a couple off-seasons to be fully realized.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

So, do what is needed to get it open for the season this summer/fall and complete the rest next off-season. No reason that can't be done. You're saying 2 years, which means it won't be done until 2025. That's 3 off-seasons. At most this is a 2 off-season project (2023 and 2024), and that's only because it's an unplanned renovation due to the flood. If it were planned, then it should've been done in one off-season.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

Back to the timing of the entire Killington Forward Initiative…

Phase 1 of the new water system has just now begun and is scheduled to be completed in approximately 2 years by the end of 2025. Subsequent phases from the village down the access road are yet to be determined but it’s probably safe to say that it will likely coincide with the 4 phases of the Access Road construction. The water line work at the Phase 1 of the Access Rd work will be a part of the Phase 1 road work as announced.

Phase 1 of the Killington Access Road reconstruction will in all likelihood start next Spring although all of the official communication still says the start date is Fall of 2023 (now). It has also been announced that the reconstruction of Killington Road will take place in 4 phases over a six-year period so completion can be anticipated sometime in 2029.

As far as the village itself goes, no official timeline has been provided although it was stated that sales would begin prior to the start of the 2023/2024 ski season. This looks to be highly unlikely given that the developer (Great Gulf) recently hired a new architect (Safdie Architects) who scrapped the old concept design entirely and started over. Perhaps there could be some kind of pre-sales activity with them accepting deposits for first come first serve choice of a unit but who knows.

I far as the start date of the village work itself goes, it’s possible that we may see sitework start next summer on grading, storm lines, and other underground utilities, but that is only 8 months away and I doubt that the Architect/Engineer can finish sitework construction documents, bid and award the sitework scope of work, and obtain permits in just 8 months. Late Fall of 2024 would be more of a possibility, but I would wager a bet that the start of the sitework won’t begin until the summer of 2025.

That being said, I wouldn’t expect to see any construction on the buildings themselves, with the possible exception of the new base lodge, to start until the summer of 2026 – a little less than 3 years from now. If that’s the case, I wouldn’t expect to see occupancy of the first units until 2028 at the earliest with construction in the village continuing on for several more years.

Regardless of how it all shakes out with respect to specific start dates, we are going to see a lot of construction activity in Killington for the rest of this decade. There is also the proposed new employee housing component, Base Camp at Bear Mtn which is not part of Killington Forward, and other development which they think may be spurred on as a result of the new water system down the access rd.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

snoloco wrote: Oct 25th, '23, 08:33 So, do what is needed to get it open for the season this summer/fall and complete the rest next off-season. No reason that can't be done. You're saying 2 years, which means it won't be done until 2025. That's 3 off-seasons. At most this is a 2 off-season project (2023 and 2024), and that's only because it's an unplanned renovation due to the flood. If it were planned, then it should've been done in one off-season.
Why haven't you interviewed to replace Mike again?
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

I'm not asking to replace Mike or saying I know better. I'm only arguing your ridiculous claim that it takes 2 calendar years (3 off-seasons) to renovate a lodge.
wtf021
Blue Chatterbox

Post by wtf021 »

GG is going to be re-filing the ACT 250 permit for the village.

https://mountaintimes.info/iconic-the-n ... n-village/
Attachments
great-gulf-new-village-community-update-10.19.2023-by-Polly-698x394.jpg
great-gulf-new-village-community-update-10.19.2023-by-Polly-698x394.jpg (52.29 KiB) Viewed 2405 times
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

wtf021 wrote: Oct 25th, '23, 16:49 GG is going to be re-filing the ACT 250 permit for the village.

Last time I think it took 5 years to be approved. Might go faster since it is a revision. I wonder why there is such a housing shortage in VT?
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

Big Bob wrote: Oct 25th, '23, 17:57
wtf021 wrote: Oct 25th, '23, 16:49 GG is going to be re-filing the ACT 250 permit for the village.

Last time I think it took 5 years to be approved. Might go faster since it is a revision. I wonder why there is such a housing shortage in VT?
It took 7 years.

And wow, that decision to open it up again to Act 250 permitting is highly questionable. There must be more to the story to make that call.

It says in that article that they are hoping for the Spring of 2025 to start the village construction. I'd give that about a 10% chance. They'll be doing good if it starts in 2026 and I'd give that about a 25% chance. This is not a revision, this is a complete and total redesign, the only thing the two have in common is the location.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

They've made some positive changes. Hopefully they can get more creative with keeping some parking in the initial phases, and add more true slopeside condos in Phase 1 or 2 by making better use of all available slopeside frontage. The big plaza they show should be set back, not occupy prime real estate. Ski-to is so much better than walk-to.

It looks like most of Ramshead lot would survive Phase 1.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

They're building the same number of units as in the original plan, only one lodge, and not filling in the pond anymore. 75% of voters are already in favor of it. I think the risk of permitting hold ups is very low. I don't think there were any permitting delays at all for the new K1 Lodge.