Timing of Killington Forward

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Re: Timing of Killington Forward

Post by Stormchaser »

daytripper wrote: May 3rd, '24, 13:22 Wouldn't great gulf be funding and operating the village?
Could be. I thought they were the just the developer, but they may be the long-term operator too I guess.
ImageImageImageImage
Heywood jablowmee
Black Carver

Post by Heywood jablowmee »

daytripper wrote: May 3rd, '24, 13:22 Wouldn't great gulf be funding and operating the village?
Ch Ching!…. Winner winner chicken dinner
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

Stormchaser wrote: May 3rd, '24, 13:31
Could be. I thought they were the just the developer, but they may be the long-term operator too I guess.
I don't think Powdr/Killington has anything to do with the village other than the new combined base lodge and perhaps the new ski bridge. It's completely separate ownership.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

jimmywilson69 wrote: May 3rd, '24, 08:58 clearly whomever made these sketches hasn't ever been to Killington. I don't really see Joey Jersey and New York Nicky enjoying whatever the f*** is going on in that photo...
That’s not their market. Neither is Kzone, for that matter. Tying your panties in a knot over some sketches is a bit much.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

rogman wrote: May 3rd, '24, 14:21
jimmywilson69 wrote: May 3rd, '24, 08:58 clearly whomever made these sketches hasn't ever been to Killington. I don't really see Joey Jersey and New York Nicky enjoying whatever the f*** is going on in that photo...
That’s not their market. Neither is Kzone, for that matter. Tying your panties in a knot over some sketches is a bit much.
Whatever that is, it will never come to fruition, what you'll end up with is a couple of water fountains to keep the water from getting stagnant and few ducks paddling around. And maybe a topless bar for Joey and Nickie somewhere in the village.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

May 1, 2024

Great Gulf unveiled its latest phase-one proposal to residents and resort visitors over the winter and expects to file its plans with the town’s development review board by the end of May. It will then be reviewed by a state district Act 250 land use commission, with hopes to receive permits for the first phase of construction by November and break ground by spring 2025. A grand opening would be expected as early as 2027.

Source: https://snowbrains.com/major-3-billion- ... ington-vt/

2 to 2.5 years to build phase 1 which is about half of the buildings in the village core is extremely optimistic given Vermont's labor shortages and the amount infrastructure work that needs to take place before construction of the buildings can even begin. That would be possible for the phase 1 buildings alone but there is a massive amount of sitework that will need to be done before they can start on the buildings themselves - demo of the old base lodge, grade changes, and underground utilities like storm water, sanitary, electrical and communication. All of that sitework will take at least a year before the stick a shovel in the ground for any of those Phase 1 buildings. But telling people that the first units will be ready for occupancy in about 3.5 years probably isn't good for sales.
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

“Killington’s major competition has benefitted from development of base area villages in recent years, while land ownership hurdles left Killington without. The master plan entitlements make Killington the largest ski area development opportunity in North America.” - Great Gulf

They have been jealous as hell of Stratton for twenty years. I get it. They want to be Stratton.

Since all of this development depended on bringing in a water supply, it also brings in much needed clean water to a town full of tainted wells. Beyond that, the town will see little benefit.

There will also be little benefit, if any, to 99% of Killington's customer base. They know it, and we all know it. There will be five years of construction noise, and as soon as the village phase is complete you'll get another five years for the next phase. And so on and so on. Everyone agrees the continual loss of parking will suck. And instead of it bringing simultaneous on-mountain improvements, it will likely push already overdue improvements farther down the road.

What I find almost laughable is the way they are selling the village area as some kind of public gathering space paradise. Ski beach. One tiny benefit we will get from all this development (a level ski bridge between Snowshed and Rams) and they are selling it as a ski beach. As if Snowshed is the "place to be" at Killington in the spring. Have these people ever been to Killington in the spring?
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

:dis
KingsFourMan wrote: May 7th, '24, 10:13 May 1, 2024

Great Gulf... expects to file its plans with the town’s development review board by the end of May.... with hopes to receive permits for the first phase of construction by November ...

sitework that will need to be done before they can start on the buildings themselves - grade changes,
I dunno, file act 250 and approval by November might be optimistic. If every NGO gets another bite of the apple, or new concerns surface, it could be longer.

I've noticed for some time now that none of the plans show any topo information. How is the difference in elevation from East Mtn Road to Snowshed Lodge going to occur? They seem to show it so far as flat.

The "crescent" use of the water view is a nice use of what's there, but it's a silty snowmaking pond, with high water flows. It won't be used for skating or swimming. The "Crystal" and the surrounding open space oriented to the East will miss the sunset. Seems like the whole thing should face the other way. Lots more people will be around for the sunset than the sunrise... if it happens. We don't get much for glass ceiling viewscapes in the winter. We get overcast, fog, and dim light. And of course my frequent harangue about wasting the true slopeside access, build more of the condos there. For a Million dollars, we like to step out onto the snow with minimal trudge every day.

If they eliminate all Snowshed and Ramshead parking, I wonder how many of those people will go to Bear or Skyeship rather than deal with a shuttle?
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Mister Moose wrote: May 7th, '24, 14:12

If they eliminate all Snowshed and Ramshead parking, I wonder how many of those people will go to Bear or Skyeship rather than deal with a shuttle?
And therein lies the biggest downside for the village as presently located. The people who park at Snowshed and Ramshead by and large will not be going to Bear and/or Skye Base. By consuming the Snowshed and Ramshead lots and forcing the Snowshed/Ramshead masses to park remotely and shuttle, they inconvenience the people who need convenience the most - those who come for lessons, families with kids, etc. - thus encouraging at least some of these people to ski elsewhere. The ski industry, Killington among them, realized 20 plus years ago that new skier retention was critical, and Killington for one made great strides in easing the newbie process. Killington with the village risks undoing much of the progress/process they worked so hard to make easier. Granted, this isn't the fault of Killington or Powdr; it's the fault of ASC and its debt load which caused them to unload all the developable land to a third party so that the resort no longer has total control. I suspect if the resort had control, things might be developed differently.

Michael Sneyd is a skier, and has skied Killington in the past, so he has to understand at least some of this. He is, however, a developer first and his reason for being at Great Gulf is to develop the Killington Village. That's where is efforts must be focused.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

And, of course, anything that fails under Great Gulf will be blamed on Killington! Not every Snowshed/Ramshead new/family skier/rider will know there’s a difference between the village and the skier/rider mountain!
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

The parking and shuttle situation isn't going to be any different than most of Killington's competitors. Mount Snow, Stratton, and Okemo require a shuttle from most of their lots, especially if you don't arrive early.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

snoloco wrote: May 7th, '24, 19:05 The parking and shuttle situation isn't going to be any different than most of Killington's competitors. Mount Snow, Stratton, and Okemo require a shuttle from most of their lots, especially if you don't arrive early.
Which is why many have argued that close-in parking gives Killington a competitive advantage.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

They're also at a competitive disadvantage due to the lack of modern amenities, which is what the village is supposed to solve.
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

KingsFourMan wrote: May 3rd, '24, 14:47
rogman wrote: May 3rd, '24, 14:21
Whatever that is, it will never come to fruition, what you'll end up with is a couple of water fountains to keep the water from getting stagnant and few ducks paddling around. And maybe a topless bar for Joey and Nickie somewhere in the village.
ok, i support the village now :ani_smiles:
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Bubba wrote: May 7th, '24, 20:21
snoloco wrote: May 7th, '24, 19:05 The parking and shuttle situation isn't going to be any different than most of Killington's competitors. Mount Snow, Stratton, and Okemo require a shuttle from most of their lots, especially if you don't arrive early.
Which is why many have argued that close-in parking gives Killington a competitive advantage.
Killington has a lot of commuter skiers, parking that doesn't require a shuttle is a draw in my book. The only place worth going to that requires a shuttle is Sugarloaf in the east.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22