How many calories do you eat in a day?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Hal U. Dewin wrote:
pizzamoose wrote:I am trying to keep my largest meal of the day breakfast. Every day it's the same thing a nutrition shake that contains what seems like a lot of food, but when you count the calories, it's not bad. I am really eating a lot more fruits and veggies these days because their low calorie count, and high fiber content.

So every morning my shake includes
190 calories: 1 "light" MRP packet from GNC (4g of fiber)
60 calories: 1 fresh pear(2.5g)
80 calories: 1 cup of frozen blueberries (4g)
50 calories: 1 fresh apple (2.5g)
100 calories: 1 banana (2.5g)
80 calories: 1 cup of frozen mixed fruit (store-bought bag containing peaches, grapes, strawberries, honeydew, & pineapple) (2g)
65 calories: 2 scoops of green powder (like a multivitamin) (3g)

So it adds up to about 600 calories, but with 22 grams of fiber. And it completely fills me up for hours..

that's a lot of fruit for one meal, I'd hate to be the one who has to change YOUR diaper!
No kidding...that'd make me sh*t my brains out!
ImageImageImageImage
shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

Stormchaser wrote:
Hal U. Dewin wrote:
pizzamoose wrote:I am trying to keep my largest meal of the day breakfast. Every day it's the same thing a nutrition shake that contains what seems like a lot of food, but when you count the calories, it's not bad. I am really eating a lot more fruits and veggies these days because their low calorie count, and high fiber content.

80 calories: 1 cup of frozen mixed fruit (store-bought bag containing peaches, grapes, strawberries, honeydew, & pineapple) (2g)

So it adds up to about 600 calories, but with 22 grams of fiber. And it completely fills me up for hours..

that's a lot of fruit for one meal, I'd hate to be the one who has to change YOUR diaper!
That would be a small diaper change :lol:
Cogito, ergo sum

Sometimes it is that simple.

ImageImage
snowsprite
Post Office

Post by snowsprite »

SHORTSKI!!!!

(that was phunny)

:lol:
Sprite
I like wine.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

shortski wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:
Hal U. Dewin wrote:

That would be a small diaper change :lol:
Shortski, with wit...who woulda thunk... Not me, my little brain is already in my diaper. Leaves room for everything else in there.
ImageImageImageImage
pizzamoose
Slalom Racer

Post by pizzamoose »

Stormchaser wrote:No kidding...that'd make me sh*t my brains out!
Interestingly enough, it doesn't have that effect on me..

So by the way, my breakfasts used to look like this:
8 or more slices of bacon
3 eggs
3 slices of toast
all fried in butter
no fruits or vegetables at all.
yummmm...

I agree that 600 calories is a lot. But I have to believe that I'm better off that way.. It'll cause me to lose weight a little slower, but I think the net effect on my health would be greater. Evidence? Blood pressure: 115/75, Cholesterol: 135. Those numbers are unheard of for a guy my size.
snowsprite
Post Office

Post by snowsprite »

Damn pizza...that's better than mine!

Sprite
I like wine.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Hal U. Dewin wrote:
DrJeff wrote:FYI, a 20oz bottle of "regular" soda, i.e. Coke, Pepsi, Mt Dew, etc has approximately 43 grams of sugar, or to put it in perspective almost 23 sugar packets worth of sugar :shock: To really put that in perspective, sports drinks, i.e. Gatorade, Powerade, etc have just over 1/2 the sugar content of soda. The real sugar drink winner though is the pre-made full carb yogurt smoothies(i.e. dannon, etc), they tip the sugar scales at roughly 55 grams of sugar per roughly 10 oz serving size :shock: :shock:
doesn't a 12 oz can have about 40-45 grams of sugar, depending on the brand? If I'm not mistaken, a 20oz bottle has quite a bit more.
Sugar is my drug of choice, but I can't handle the 'cooladas' at Dunkin Donuts. Way too sweet when its hot out, and they are huge to boot. The number of calories in those must be scary.
Hal U. Dewin
Tree Psycho

Post by Hal U. Dewin »

pizzamoose wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:No kidding...that'd make me sh*t my brains out!
Interestingly enough, it doesn't have that effect on me..

So by the way, my breakfasts used to look like this:
8 or more slices of bacon
3 eggs
3 slices of toast
all fried in butter
no fruits or vegetables at all.
yummmm...

I agree that 600 calories is a lot. But I have to believe that I'm better off that way.. It'll cause me to lose weight a little slower, but I think the net effect on my health would be greater. Evidence? Blood pressure: 115/75, Cholesterol: 135. Those numbers are unheard of for a guy my size.
your cholesterol is too low....you need cholesterol to synthesize hormones, namely testosterone....

testosterone melts fat, builds muscle and will eventually make your prostate the size of a wrecking ball.
shortski
:dis
kcowboy
Black Carver

Post by kcowboy »

Answering the orginal question,

I would have to say about 2200 a day.

Typical day

Breakfast
1 cup fiber one cereal
1 cup 0% milk
1 banana
3 strawberries

Coffee 3-5 cups a day with 1/2 & 1/2 and equal

Lunch
Lean Cusine dinnertime selctions

Dinner
Grilled chicken breast with salad- dressing is EVOO & Balsamic.

So how many calories is that?
Save a horse ride a cowboy
shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

Mister Moose wrote: Sugar is my drug of choice, but I can't handle the 'cooladas' at Dunkin Donuts. Way too sweet when its hot out, and they are huge to boot. The number of calories in those must be scary.
Coolata

Muffin

1070 calories holy Snizzel
Cogito, ergo sum

Sometimes it is that simple.

ImageImage
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Stormchaser wrote:I'm guessing 5,000-8,000 a day. I can't gain weight if i try. I eat a quart of ice cream a day too!
I hate you for that. :lol: If I eat a quart of ice cream, I'll weight 2 lbs more the next day. :evil:
Hal U. Dewin
Tree Psycho

Post by Hal U. Dewin »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:I'm guessing 5,000-8,000 a day. I can't gain weight if i try. I eat a quart of ice cream a day too!
I hate you for that. :lol: If I eat a quart of ice cream, I'll weight 2 lbs more the next day. :evil:
just snort a bunch of coke first lol.. :lol:
shortski
:dis
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Hal U. Dewin wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:
just snort a bunch of coke first lol.. :lol:
That stuff stayed in Miami...its evil! :twisted:
ImageImageImageImage
jenscats5
Poster Child Poster

Post by jenscats5 »

When I was following my 40/30/30 plan, I was consuming 1400 - 1600 calories per day. I track everything I eat on www.fitday.com and also keep a log of what I eat.

Well I'm still tracking everything, but the diet is different now.....but still close...
“A true friend knows your weaknesses but shows you your strengths; feels your fears but fortifies your faith; sees your anxieties but frees your spirit; recognizes your disabilities but emphasizes your possibilities.”
pizzamoose
Slalom Racer

Post by pizzamoose »

jenscats5 wrote:When I was following my 40/30/30 plan, I was consuming 1400 - 1600 calories per day. I track everything I eat on www.fitday.com and also keep a log of what I eat.
Nifty site..
I just spent about an hour on it..
I actually went and researched the particular brand names of the foods I ate (lunch meats, etc.)
What a reality check!
Today I ate 39/24/36 (C/P/F) and 75% of my fat calories are saturated!!!
41 Grams of fiber today.

Total calories were 2288 - now according to this site, today I burned 4920 calories with basal and lifestyle activities - that doesn't include exercise (I didn't exercise today (I run in r*in, but not in thunderstorms. Alex is not home, so the only time I had to run was between 4:30 and 5:30 - plan was to get off work, run, then pick up the baby. Guess what was going on between 4:30 and 5:15 today?)

I have a hard time believing that I created a 2500 calorie deficit today, when I know that my BMR is between 2275 and 2469 calories. So I really can't trust this site for estimating the caloric deficit. I use and trust this calculator here: http://www.hussman.org/fitness/bmrcalc.htm. (I entered male, 335lbs, 41%Bodyfat, 29 years, 6'6".) If you have a calculator, let me know and I'll try that.

My other complaint about this site is with the running, it doesn't correct for my size. It only reported about 280 calories for 12/minute miles for 3 miles - according to my running book, I would have burned 450 calories at just 250 lbs, the top weight on the chart. (and I'm 335lbs..)

So the site appears to be useful for tracking calories.. but I don't know if I'd trust it for anything else.